Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fired clay -bonsai soil

+3
Billy M. Rhodes
JimLewis
Jake16
7 posters

Go down

fired clay -bonsai soil  Empty fired clay -bonsai soil

Post  Jake16 Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Do you use the clay after the bisque firing or after the glaze firing bit don't use any glaze?
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

fired clay -bonsai soil  Empty Re: fired clay -bonsai soil

Post  JimLewis Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm not understanding your question. Are you considering somehow firing your own clay-based bonsai soil?

I don't have any clue how you would get the fired clay broken down into small enough particles.

Much easier, IMO, to buy a bag of Turface.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:42 pm

I'm in a ceramics class and I have some extra vases I don't need I was wondering if I could just crush them up and use them soil
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Sure you could. But figure the amount of unwanted pot you'd have to crush to get enough "soil" to fill up even a small 5x7 shohin pot. And then determine how you'd crush the pots into reasonably consistent 1/8 - 1/4 inch pieces.

There likely are easier ways.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:53 pm

I would not. You really don't know what chemicals are in that clay or glaze. And, in my experience, when you try to break up ceramics as you are considering the particles are dangerously sharp.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:57 pm

As I stated I would not use a glaze and aren't the particles suppose to be sharp? Jim I've used a tamp to break up lava rock before.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  rockm Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm

This really isn't worth the trouble or effort to do. You will be planting in something that is more akin to glass, not turface or pumice. Bonsai pots are meant to be mostly impervious to water, or at least less porous than the soil particles they hold. Crushed bonsai pots are probably a poor alternative to turface or other stuff because the particles aren't are porous and won't hold as much water...

rockm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Bisque fired clay remains porous & would be a good addition to your potting mix but only if your scrapping the work.

Back to top Go down

fired clay -bonsai soil  Empty kitty litter with caution

Post  Robert Taylor Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:15 am

As I live in a remote area in NY I have often found it necessary to improvise. Many years ago I took to making my own pots. I'd often noticed "red clay" soil mentioned in bonsai books, so when I did a bisque (1st) firing I'd add a bag of basic clay kitty litter and the results were very much the same as the Turface that I now use. If you attempt to use kitty litter check the list of ingredients on the bag. Two things to note: make sure there's only clay and do a test firing of a small batch before going ahead and firing the entire bag. The last bag that I fired came from Florida. Nothing against Florida but that was the only difference from my previous bags of kitty liter. A couple of hours into the firing, thick yellow smoke (sulphur dioxide) filled the room and was venting out of the building. I stayed nearby until the smoke stopped to make sure nobody got exposed to it. I felt bad about polluting the air but also very lucky that no one was injured. That was over 20+ yrs. ago.

Robert Taylor

Back to top Go down

fired clay -bonsai soil  Empty easy if you're already trimming clay

Post  ceramist Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 am

If you're a ceramist throwing clay on the wheel, then this is an easy way to make use of scraps from trimming. Let it go bone dry, crush it (I use my hands), pass it through 2 or 3 grades of bonsai sifters from 1/8" up, and bisque fire it. Wash thoroughly to remove fine dust.

ceramist

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue May 14, 2019 1:06 pm

8 mm hand rolled ceramic balls.
Using the plant that likes the least amount of water,
our local willow leaf ficus [ Ficus p.]
Plus 1 part aged compost to 9 parts ceramic.
Laters,
Khaimraj

https://i.servimg.com/u/f20/19/00/27/56/ficus_12.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f20/19/00/27/56/ficus_11.jpg

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue May 14, 2019 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong image)
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down