Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Questions regarding Tile method for producing nebari

+4
leatherback
GaryWood
BigDave
Barry M
8 posters

Go down

Questions regarding Tile method for producing nebari Empty Questions regarding Tile method for producing nebari

Post  Barry M Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:20 pm

I understand that in order to encourage the development of nebari on a plant that started out as a cutting that the tile method should be used. Unfortunately I have not found any details on the internet regarding how to go about this. I would appreciate information describing how to go about the tile method especially in an oversized pot. How long should the tile be left in place, etc, etc? Thanks.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Questions regarding Tile method for producing nebari Empty Re: Questions regarding Tile method for producing nebari

Post  BigDave Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey Barry,

Just google it, lots of info, heres one.

http://frankenbonsai.wordpress.com/category/trident-maple-2/

I like a square of plywood, easy to drill and you prob have some in garage already

good luck,
-big D
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Questions regarding Tile method for producing nebari Empty Re: Questions regarding Tile method for producing nebari

Post  GaryWood Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Barry, I've been using this method for years and it gives very good results. There is a post on my blog that describes it.
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/2011/12/trident-building-process.html
There is also a thread on another forum that covers it as well
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?3285-The-2010-BonsaiNut-Maple-Project
Hope this helps.
Wood

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:09 pm

things of wood is awesome, yes go there !
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:15 pm

BigDave wrote:things of wood is awesome, yes go there !

I think you mean a different site. This one does not give any information. Only half posts on hist trees without explanation of what is done and why..
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:49 pm

There's no magic to it. You simply half fill a container with soil, lay a large tile on top of it, add another thin layer of soil, then plant your tree in above it -- being sure to spread the roots out along the surface of the tile. In addition to being of some help in spreading the base, it gets your root mass prepared to be planted in a shallow bonsai pot.

As with all things bonsai -- at least leading to GOOD bonsai -- this takes time. Like several years of pots and repots. And some species respond better than others.

But if you are talking about drilling holes through a wooden board and shoving a seedling through it, forming a pseudo air layer, this can produce very nice nebari. It also may lead to the death of the seedling in almost as many instances.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:01 pm

leatherback wrote:
BigDave wrote:things of wood is awesome, yes go there !

I think you mean a different site. This one does not give any information. Only half posts on hist trees without explanation of what is done and why..

Hmmm its all there, I think. Look for...

Monday, December 26, 2011
Trident Building Process

Like Mr Lewis said its not that difficult, just need a tile and a tool that will drill it, !

Good luck,
Big D
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:32 pm

I appreciate all the responses. After reading through the suggestions, I think that I will use the described method in which I place the plant OVER the tile rather than through it tourniquet style. Thanks everyone.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:35 am

BigDave wrote:
Hmmm its all there, I think. Look for...

Monday, December 26, 2011
Trident Building Process

OK, yes. For this specific topic it has some details that would allow one to get started (Although very quickly one would start getting lots of questions, I think.

I went through the whole thing and was not overly impressed by the amount of information re. the different steps. Especially for a site that claims to be set up to show people how to get started, as they claim:

There are numerous avenues for learning finishing technique but very few for getting there. Far to often the beginnings are not addressed or overlooked.

For me, the site turned out to be a bit of a cold shower when flipping through it Very Happy
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:47 am

JimLewis wrote:But if you are talking about drilling holes through a wooden board and shoving a seedling through it, forming a pseudo air layer, this can produce very nice nebari.

Yes, Jim is spot on. Planting a tree or seedling on top of a tile will not produce a good nebari regardless, it will just produce something that will be of more use for future bonsai purposes (horizontal root spread, a flattened rootmass). A better/good 'nebari' is mainly referring to a good/attractive spread of roots, and that you will only get by selecting the roots and spreading them before you plant the tree on the tile... or whilst repotting. If you have a mediocre tree, and if you dont do this 'work' properly you will only get a horizontal rootmass and your nebari could still look bad. This is just to clarify for beginners, because the practice is misunderstood frequently.

have fun tiling Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 am

First I would check to see if in nature, such a tree produces above ground/surface roots. Many trees don't and it looks very unnatural.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Khaimraj is, of course, 100% right -- though there's nothing to say you can't try to make a nice base in a tree (like juniper) that normally doesn't have one.

The fact is, however, that the absolute BEST way to get a good base on a bonsai is to select trees with a good start in that direction in the first place. In the fairly rare occasional I have to purchase a new candidate these days, my basis for selection is:

1. The base, and
2. The trunk.

All else can be developed easily.

Trying to produce good bases or trunks (or both) after the fact takes many years.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:17 pm

leatherback wrote:

OK, yes. For this specific topic it has some details that would allow one to get started ...

For me, the site turned out to be a bit of a cold shower when flipping through it Very Happy

Well not sure how to react to that,

Maybe Mr. Gary Wood would come over and show you in person, For a Danish pastry or two
BigDave
BigDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:27 pm

The only problem I've had planting trees over tile is securing them in the pot/ground once placed over tile. I simply can't get it tightened down well as the wire comes up and around the edge of the tile. Much easier, if the trees large enough, to use plywood and just drill a screw up thru the wood into the base of the tree. Then it's much easier also to place the roots where you want them.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Just use an earthenware tile, and drill holes in it.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Rubarb Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Not sure if you guys have seen this page before and it's a bit extreme to say the least Shocked
Click here
Rubarb
Rubarb

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:47 am

I have seen actual trees with a nebari like this. And even if I COULD create them, I would not. Where in nature do you ever see a tree with a base like that? To me it is bonsai-over-the-top. But then again, I find that true for a lot of the Bonsai being heralded at the time.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:12 am

Rubarb wrote:Not sure if you guys have seen this page before and it's a bit extreme to say the least Shocked
Click here

that is what i call absolutely horrific, repelling... it could be offered to me for cheap, i would walk by it... sorry Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:41 am

Yes, it was all a bit extreme, too much tabletop.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Just use an earthenware tile, and drill holes in it.
Khaimraj

Good idea Khaimraj!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down