Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to do now.

4 posters

Go down

What to do now. Empty What to do now.

Post  old timer Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:46 pm

As a new comer to Bonsai and now growing some from seed and some from small plants I fell for the photos I have seen of Cotoneaster, about 2 months ago I bought 2 small plants at a Bonsai shop and he told me to repot next year the plants looked healthy enough and were around 4 inches out of the pot with no sign of berrys,last week I went to another run of the mill garden center and saw some of the same plants full of berrys and looking really nice these plants had several stalks coming out of the pot so I bought 4 of them the pots are full of roots even growing out of the drain holes.My question is what is the next step to getting these plants growing as Bonsai? do I prune them now wait till spring leave them in there pots and can I grow from the berrys?
Also I have some nice Laburnham seedling I have grown from seeds and I really want to know where to go with these also,Many thanks George.What to do now. Dsc00723What to do now. Dsc00722What to do now. Dsc00721

Last edited by old timer on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:48 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : No photos)

old timer

Back to top Go down

What to do now. Empty Re: What to do now.

Post  fiona Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:22 pm

old timer wrote:Got some photos but dont know how to put them on Embarassed

Hi. Just click on the link and follow the instructions.

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t243-tutorial-on-posting-pics
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:15 pm

George,
I think first pick this fruits up, they draw energy from the plant you want to direct to growth. It is the beginning of winter at your place,no?
Maybe let it rest for now till spring, or if your area is not cold plant it in the ground. The trunk need to thicken, and that will be fastest in the ground.
I can see they are pot bound, so I think it will be nice to spread/loosen the roots, and maybe you can plant it over a tile like they advised me to plant my little fig? You can do also some styling on them while they are in the ground. if it is cold now, dont damage the roots wait for spring.
Here I am just repeating what I was told on my thread, and hope if I am wrong I will be corrected by more experienced people.
Good luck! Wish You all the best.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Did you get any labels with these plants, George?

Your laburnum seedling is currently a long long way away from being a bonsai. Let it grow a bit more and think about what you want to do with it when it has turned a bit more woody rather than the greenstick it is now. In the meantime google laburnum bonsai and get an idea of what sort of styles are possible. I've never seen anything other than informal uprights with it but that's not to say other styles are not possible. I'm assuming you have already read that it is poisonous.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  old timer Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:21 am

No lables on these plants when I got them, I have a few so I might try different ways of careing for them, the Labernham I grew from seed and as you say they have a long way to go,some of them have dropped there leaves and some of them have still got a full set as grown,all are out side and we have had frost here.Many thanks for you help.George.

old timer

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:57 am

I don't think those are Cotoneaster - they look (from the photo) more like Gaultheria. If they are, I'd say you are pretty much wasting your time trying to do anything bonsai with them as they are too shrubby and too short-lived in our climate. If this is your first attempt at Bonsai, there is a whole raft of far better plants to use - including your original cotoneaster. Use these ones you have as nice decorations for Christmas.

I'd give your Laburnum seedlings a bit of frost protection. Do you have a greenhouse?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Belgium beginner Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Right, is not Cotoneaster is Gaulheria

Belgium beginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum