Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7 years work on a acer palmatum obtained from a garden center

+6
dexworks
abcd
dick benbow
Dave Murphy
luc tran
kohaku
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

7 years work on a acer palmatum obtained from a garden center - Page 2 Empty Re: 7 years work on a acer palmatum obtained from a garden center

Post  Guest Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:11 pm

kohaku wrote:THX yves

Changes the angle of the tree to the right side would sure not be an improvement...as you say this would be an unstable look.

I think turning it a little bit counterclockwise, like you can see on the last pics , would improve it a little.

Looking at the tree, here at home gives another impression as looking at it on the pics (i'm not a good photographer). I can't seem to get the tree on pic's as it really is pale

I didn't say there's a high risk for chopping this , but a risk is always present...i don't think the risk is worth it.

Do you have bonsai maples? If so i really would like to see them...( can't find any on the blogsite)

thx for the reply's

currently only working on a quite small Acer Campestre, its posted here in a topic in 'discussion', i must look for it, its been a week or 2 i think. Its developing, i almost totally rebuilt it except i had a start with a little bit of trunk but then i replanted it in full ground, and the branches are now starting up. Still in training pot.

I probably will have a bit heaver raw material in a few weeks, and if i have good fortune (depending on others) i maybe will have older stumps from yamadori (forest or nature).

In the past i had 2 (jap)maples, but they were owned by my father, so i only styled em, left them to him when I moved house, and that is long ago, no pictures and my folks dont live near. He also did not care for em all these years, like I used to do sadly. The size and quality was similar to your tree.

But you dont need a Kokufu Ten tree to give advice do you ;-)

ps: search on my blog 'veldesdoorn', and look here in the topics

Back to top Go down

7 years work on a acer palmatum obtained from a garden center - Page 2 Empty Re: 7 years work on a acer palmatum obtained from a garden center

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 pm

kohaku wrote:7 years work on a acer palmatum obtained from a garden center - Page 2 Img_3422

7 years work on a acer palmatum obtained from a garden center - Page 2 Img_3512

IMHO you should wait. Open the callous tissue on this wound, put some cut paste (if you want to) and give the area above and around this wound complete free reign next year. Personally, I would try to close this wound completely first.

I like this angle, but maybe planted a bit more upright while still leaning slightly to the right. I can't do virtuals, sorry.

You've done a great job, though. You've got some healthy interior buds you can cut back to anytime you wish. Look for a post from me here shortly (maybe this weekend) on a clump maple I recently picked up. Keep us posted.

Have a great weekend!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  kohaku Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 am

Hi Sam, thx for the reply

In the past i cut a few times with a knife at the inside callous of the wound (where it touches the wood)..can i do it on another way instead of using a knife?
I'll sure watch the posting you'll make... bounce

I made the virtual for you....the left one is a little more upright compared to the original tree on the right.
Better?? more upright could give some troubble with the nebari i think.

7 years work on a acer palmatum obtained from a garden center - Page 2 Virt_210

kohaku

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:00 am

Hello, the second position is better, but the head off the tree is on the back side, virtual possibility.
I Understand That is very difficulty to cut a branch that we put a lot of time to create, but the growth of the new head will help the healing of the big wound [img]7 years work on a acer palmatum obtained from a garden center - Page 2 Virt_210[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:17 pm

I prefer the virtual with the tree slightly more upright, as it appeared in previous images. Great tree and thread!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Very nice find 7 yrs ago.

And wonderful work on it.

I would plant it more upright and lower the top too.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2