Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM

5 posters

Go down

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Empty 2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM

Post  William N. Valavanis Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:49 am

Our 6th biennial International Stone Appreciation Symposium began today in Harrisburg, PA at the Holiday Inn. This event is sponsored by six stone fanciers: Sean Smith, Marty Schmalenberg, Jim Doyle, Glenn Reusch, Arthur Skolnik and Wm. N. Valavanis.

Today we set up two of the three stone displays and had several workshops including a private workshop with Professor Seiji Morimae, S-Cube, from Hanyu Japan. All day tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday morning we will have educational programs on Japanese, Korean, Chinese and American stone appreciation.

On Saturday evening we will have a huge benefit auction with lots of fine-quality antique items which Professor Morimae sent from Japan. If you are interested in attending any of the programs or benefit auction or visit the three exhibits or vending area, please join us at the Holiday Inn, Hershey, PA (Rt. 81, exit 80).

I hope to see others enjoy the art we are sharing with others.

Here are a few photos from the main exhibit and a few from the registrants display which is not compete yet.

Bill

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Main-e10
MAIN EXHIBIT

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Glenn-10
GLENN REUSCH

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Warren10
PETER WARREN

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Morima10
SEIJI MORIMAE

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Kora-w11
KORA DALAGER

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Smith-10
SEAN SMITH

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Doyle-10
JIM DOYLE

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Arthur10
ARTHUR SKOLNIK

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Jerome10
JEROME CUSHMAN

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Valava10
WM. N. VALAVANIS

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Hallwa10
HALLWAY TOKONOMA

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Maggio10
RON MAGGIO

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Moore-10
JOE MOORE

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Arpag-10
MARC ARPAG

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Tokono10
MAIN TOKONOMA ON STAGE DURING PROGRAMS
Professor Morimae will use it to teach display

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Auctio10
A FEW AUCTION ITEMS

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Auctio11
AUCTION ITEM
Antique suiseki and display table
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Empty Re: 2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM

Post  drgonzo Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:54 am

Bill,

Thank you for sharing your photos!

Is there a proper term for the display 'box' Ron has his stone in. I think it looks great in its own little 'stone-onoma'

Best
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Empty Re: 2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM

Post  Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:41 am

Hi Bill

Many thanks for sharing the photos.
I would have loved to be there... being able to talk and share with other stonelovers.

Some times does a stone not clearly have a direction......My setagawa in the gallery, is like that. I want to place the stone in a display, so that the stone is placed in the right side of the display, even though the long flow also is in the right side of the stone.

With your stone I feel the same....is it something you can explain more about. Or do you just place it the way you did, because it is the right way, even though the stone may want something else

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:37 am

The formal programs began today with Professor Seiji Morimae who spoke on displaying suiseki with bonsai. He also discussed the word origins and background for suiseki and bonsai. He was up all night painting the hanging scrolls for his demonstrations. Note the subtle differences between the two autumn moon scrolls made specifically for left and right side dominate displays.

A great day and it continued on with Chinese Scholar's rocks and Korean Soosuk.

Enjoy the images!

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Morima11
Professor Morimae showing images from the Genkokai exhibitions

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Termin10
Terminology explanation

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Formal10
Formal upright style bonsai display

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Cascad10
Cascade style bonsai display

2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Litera10
Literati style bonsai display

William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:18 pm

add my thank-you for taking time to make this happen and for sharing.

I worked with a sumi-e artist here in the Pac NW to donate two original shikishi boards for the auction/raffles. i told her to stay away from Mountain scenes as that could be redundant with stones. yet going thru pictures posted here I spy the use of a Mt scene in a scroll,
so i hope i didn't steer her wrong.

was born and raised in New York yet as an adult moved to the west coast. Wish many of our events would have followed me Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Jay... Ron's miniature Chinese-style lounger/bed platform with its moon circle entrance was unlikely constructed for stone display, but adapted to it. My recollection in one critique was to replace what Ron identified as a mountain stone with a human figure stone & to raise the height to fully see the stone (Bill bent deeply to take this photo). The seat is too cramped a space to encourage feeling for the grand view of a scenic suiseki but could suggest a human theme with its largely-enclosed intimate space. It is more creative than traditional in arrangement... and creative expression was seldom discouraged in the critiques of Seiji Morimae or Peter Warren, which I attended. Even for the most creative stone displays atypical of convention, useful advice on encouraging feeling through disciplined choice and arrangement of objects and open space was intensely revealing!

Hi Dick... Thanks for your good advice on scroll themes which encourage boundless expression of a scene or resounding metaphorical depth as opposed to distinct identification of a landscape. I only see one distinct landscape painting among the photos Bill shares, and it was paired at substantial difference of height to a figure stone. The figure stone presented by Jerome Cushman was magnificent-- when I saw it, the stone was complemented by three tiny colorful leaves on a thin board. A pair of spring & autumn moon shikishi have traveled to my home; now, I imagine that you participated in their creation... and treasure them in linking our friendship.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  vlado Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Dear friends.
Can someone explain the meaning of the text? (marked in red)
Thank you.
Vlado.
2012 INTERNATIONAL STONE APPRECIATION SYMPOSIUM Termin10

vlado

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down