Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot?

+2
JimLewis
Jason Eider
6 posters

Go down

Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot? Empty Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot?

Post  Jason Eider Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:37 am

Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot? Pot_2_10

Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot? Pot_0012
pot is 16" wide X 11'' 1&1/2" deep

Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot? Pot_0013

Thanks,
Jason
Jason Eider
Jason Eider

Back to top Go down

Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot? Empty Re: Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot?

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:06 pm

I think the left side is the top of that seal. It's certainly not a universal truth, but whenever I see a lone square seal-chop I think Chinese. The square drainage hole may be a signature tipoff to someone.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot? Empty Re: Can anyone help me w/ info on this pot?

Post  Russell Coker Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Actually, the right side is the top, turn it back to the left one click. Jim, you can't go by the chop/signature thing either. I have Japanese pots that have a signature and no chop, chop and so signature, or both! You are correct that most Chinese pots aren't signed, but I even have a few of those!

What I find interesting is the style of the characters in this chop. You don't see many with this "sharp" kanji style, usually it's softer and more stylized.

I'm still hunting!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:54 pm

The pot "looks" Chinese to me, because of the square hole and the weight of it.

Last edited by Billy M. Rhodes on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellimg)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Yuk! I "knew" right and wrote left.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Eider Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:47 am

Thank you very much for the replys Smile
am very interested to see if you find anything Russell.
this pot was given to me by a non bonsai person who was using it as a dish under a potted plant.
Seems to be developing a bit of patina & I like the pot but know nothing about it.
Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Jason
Jason Eider
Jason Eider

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:50 am

I'm liking the grill/smoker Cool in the background of your picture above!

reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Jason, I haven't found it. That's not a color you see very often coming out of Japan, and when you do the makers are usually easily identified. I have pots this color I know to be Chinese. The only thing I haven't done is check them, I'll do that today.

Jim I figured as much!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  nekotoban Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:55 pm

This was tricky. First time I saw this pot I thought it was Chiniese too, but it wasn't. The chop is read Hishoku gamma zou(秘色窯造) …that means Hishoku kulin product.
There was a same name kiln in old China, though the Chiniese klin was famous for celadon porcelains and they are sort of national treasures.
Then where is really this pot from ?
The answer is old Tokoname. I found it in a book and confirmed by asking Hishoku kulin company's staff in Tokoname.
About Hishoku kulin in Tokoname, Mr.Saburo Shibayama started and produced bonsai pots, many of them were suiban and shallow pots.
Hishoku products were treasured for courteous works. The kulin doesn't produce bonsai pots any more but Hishoku kulin company still exists in Tokoname.
I am afraid of saying this pot is slightly distorted at the top hem on the right as I can see the second photo.(Actually my husband pointed) But even so, this is pretty good.
Thank you for sharing I enjoyed chasing very much.

nekotoban

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks so much! One more to add to my list.

Great news Jason!

Nekotoban, since you mention celadon, can you help me with this?

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t10661-help-me-out-with-this-old-pot

Thanks,

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Eider Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Wow thats great, Thank you very much Nekotoban, very nice of you. And thank you too Russell.
My turn to do a little research and learn some about old tokoname.

Regards,
Jason
Jason Eider
Jason Eider

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Wonderful pot detectives we have here!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down