Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small Acer palmatum

5 posters

Go down

Small Acer palmatum Empty Small Acer palmatum

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:26 pm

I don't think I've shown this little tree before . . . but maybe. It is a left-over from an ill-fated class on grafting that I took 3-4 years ago (none of my grafts took, but the scions are doing fine <g>).

This is an example to folks who wonder if trunk chops work. There have been three on this little guy.

Unfortunately, during the time I was unable to spend much (any!) time with my trees this summer some wires got left on a bit too long and really dug into a couple of the branches. They're young, though, so shold get covered up by new growth in 3-4 years.

I have no real questions to ask about this tree, but because it is truly not ready for prime time I didn't think it fit in any of the other forums -- including the gallery -- so it's here. So, if anyone has comments or suggestions, have at it.

The front:

Small Acer palmatum 9-12_i10

A maybe front, just a slight turn:

Small Acer palmatum 9-12_i11
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Small Acer palmatum Empty Re: Small Acer palmatum

Post  JudyB Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:47 pm

I miss the shape of the trunk in the second view. Looks like some nice roots too.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  adam1234 Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi Jim,

Is it a sango-kaku? and do the leaves reduce? Reason is that I have one similar looking in the ground and was wondering whether it'd be suitable for shohin.

cheers,
Adam

adam1234

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:08 pm

It is just a standard, garden-variety Acer palmatum as far as I know. It was to be the scion for a graft of some more exotic cultivar onto it, but my skills were insufficient.

Its leaves do reduce, and this one is going to become a small shohin.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Nice trunk taper and movement. Very soon you'll have beautiful piece Jim.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Small Acer palmatum Empty small acer palmatum

Post  moyogijohn Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:14 am

Jim,,it is a nice tree with a good trunk.. a question,, could the branch close to trunkon the large branch be wired up for a new apex comming toward the viewer ???? how big is this one ?? take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks, Yamasuri. I hope so.

John, I'm not 100 percent clear on which branch you mean, but a lot of wiring is still needed. The tree is quite yung yet. And I thought the picture of my thumb gave sufficient scale, but it is about 7-8 inches, I guess.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Small Acer palmatum Empty small acer palmatum

Post  moyogijohn Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:48 pm

Sorry Jim,,the branch i was speaking of is the one at the base of the large limb going to the left..the first limb closest to the main trunk line.. it is only a question anyway..it is a nice tree and will only get better... take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down