Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silicon tape instead of raffia?

5 posters

Go down

Silicon tape instead of raffia? Empty Silicon tape instead of raffia?

Post  Carolee Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:19 pm

What is your opinion and/or experience with using silicon tape (see here http://www.nebonsai.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NEBG&Product_Code=Silicone&Category_Code=TOOL ) versus using raffia when protecting large branches when bending? The tape shown here is waterproof and airproof which bothers me. Should it? Thanks, Carolee
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Silicon tape instead of raffia? Empty Re: Silicon tape instead of raffia?

Post  abcd Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:33 pm

In France, not silicone tape without raphia, but , for bending a big branche , we use large raphia, cupper, re raphia , and silicone tape .
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:50 pm

hi,

it really depends on why you are adding the tape - if you are trying to protect the bark from marks I think nylon, plastic, rubber etc is ok but all these tapes stretch, and keep stretching....Raffia does the opposite - you make it wet and wrap the branch, then when it dries it shrinks a little so it actually holds the cambium layer tighter to the heart wood than other tapes. If you are just bending a branch it doesn't make a great difference, but if you are twisting a branch raffia does a much better job of stopping the cambium layer from seperating from the wood underneath (if if fully seperates all the way round the branch from that point up will die off). I have had good budding when the raffia is brushed off too, I think this comes from the moist breathable environment under the raffia.

Like many things people are looking for easy options so these tapes are gaining popularity, especially as raffia is a pain to get off, but I prefer the extra security of raffia, especially as it is only usually used on one or two branches and just once in the life of the tree while the main design is set. Like you I think totally wrapping bark in airtight plastics is not good for the tree either - a tree needs to be breathable to be happy and respond quickly to the hardships of styling.

i think we will get a 50/50 split decision here though Very Happy

Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the cambium separating, but that is an important issue. I'll go with the raffia since I know I'll be doing a little twisting.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Hello Carolee

I'm using stripes out of the tube that is used inside bicycle-tires.
This tape expands easily ....BUT....and thats the main advantage I see .....only to a maximum point.
The strength is "held at one point" (...don't know how to describe it better).
I'm doing this only at a few trees, but for some years now and it works pretty well for me!

Kind regards
Martin

Last edited by Klaudia & Martin on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong word)
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Martin,

The problem with tape and especially the inner tire tube is that it can choke the branch if enough pressure is exerted. Raffia will not do that.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello Dario

I haven't experienced that so far. I'm aware of "normal" elastics but IMO the tire-tube is different ..... I will keep an eye on my trees!

Kind regards
Martin
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down