Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai magazine subscription...which is/are the best?

+12
Khaimraj Seepersad
Brian Van Fleet
coh
drgonzo
Mitch Thomas
fiona
stagz
rock
Peter E.
Billy M. Rhodes
JimLewis
Poink88
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bonsai magazine subscription...which is/are the best? Empty Bonsai magazine subscription...which is/are the best?

Post  Poink88 Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:32 pm

I am planning on putting a subscription (one for now) but would love to see what you guys (and gals) prefer.

Can you give me your favorite bonsai magazine? Say the top 3 in your opinion? (in order if possible, first being best Embarassed )

I like eye candy bonsai pics and technique tutorial or bonsai step by step progress if that helps you make any suggestions. BTW, it has to be in English and hard copy (not digital). Very Happy

Thank you!

P.S. I have a few older issues of Bonsai Focus and I really like it...is there anything better? I would like to use it as the benchmark if possible.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Bonsai magazine subscription...which is/are the best? Empty Re: Bonsai magazine subscription...which is/are the best?

Post  JimLewis Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:50 pm

The ONLY one I still subscribe to is International Bonsai, Bill Valavanis' magazine.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Bonsai magazine subscription...which is/are the best? Empty Re: Bonsai magazine subscription...which is/are the best?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:58 pm

“Bonsai Magazine” is the official publication of Bonsai Clubs International. (www.bonsai-bci.com) BCI is a worldwide organization and you can see the efforts of artists not only in the US, but Europe and Asia too. “Bonsai Magazine” is a great place to see what is happening in other countries and emphasizes the social aspects of Bonsai and the camaraderie of enthusiasts. It also has a section devoted to viewing stones. This is not usually where I look for ‘how to’ articles, but it does have a great picture gallery..

“Bonsai, Journal of the American Bonsai Society” is as its title indicates. The magazine is published quarterly. Both the BCI and the ABS magazines carry calendars of upcoming events. You can visit the ABS site at www.absbonsai.org

“Bonsai Today” another bi-monthly magazine While many of its articles are Japanese Translations, you will also find contributors from the artists who write for ABS and BCI. This magazine is offered by Stone Lantern Publishing, www.stonelantern.com

International Bonsai Magazine http://www.internationalbonsai.com/page/1403493 is published by Bill Valvanis.

While I have seen the others from time to time I only subscribe to Bonsai Magazine as part of my BCI membership.

Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 pm

Bonsai Focus for me.
This has been the most reliable reference for the last 20 years including it's predecesesors.
Good balance of quality material and beginers tutorials from the best artists.
Billy, Bonsai Today has been absorbed by Bonsai Focus.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:07 pm

I think Europe is its own Bonsai world and Bonsai Focus is European.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Poink88 wrote:I am planning on putting a subscription (one for now)

Dario,

I know from your posts your are a frugal buzzsterd, Very Happy

Most bang for the buck is right there at stonelantern,
back issues of Bonsai Today, hey the info never goes stale

70 percent off

Good luck
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  stagz Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:41 pm

haha i agree with rock. i bought every issue they had at stonelantern cause all mags are 70% off. they are great mags. awesome toilet material etc. each issue is a good 70 pages. i also like bonsai focus but the script is a bit pricey and idk how much ur willling to spend.
stagz
stagz

Back to top Go down

Post  stagz Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:44 pm

and bill, bonsai focus is from Europe but they do ship subscriptions to america, its just a little bit more expensive due to them shipping it to the US
stagz
stagz

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:06 pm

rock wrote:Dario,

I know from your posts your are a frugal buzzsterd, Very Happy

Most bang for the buck is right there at stonelantern, back issues of Bonsai Today, hey the info never goes stale

70 percent off

Good luck
Frugal I am and that is not bad. I am actually after good value. Wink 70% off is great...I'll order a few and see how it compares to Bonsai Focus.

Thanks!!! cheers thumbs up
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  stagz Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 pm

any of the kimura specials are great issues
stagz
stagz

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:16 pm

stagz wrote:awesome toilet material
Can we safely assume you mean to read in the toilet rather than the other use? Evil or Very Mad Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  stagz Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:27 pm

fiona- READ while on the toilet by all means! i have a stack of em right on the tank!
stagz
stagz

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:42 pm

I used to love getting Bonsai Today so much I bought a 3yr subscription, only 2 months in they sold out to Bonsai Focus and my subscription was null and void! So now I stick to IB ,Abs, BCI! Well that's my two cents worth, exit stage right!

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:25 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I think Europe is its own Bonsai world and Bonsai Focus is European.
I believe good reference has no boundaries. The ones I have featured; American, Japanese, European, South American, etc. artists. It does not discriminate & neither do I. Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:30 am

stagz wrote:fiona- READ while on the toilet by all means! i have a stack of em right on the tank!

Peter Adams and Colin lewis are always at the ready in my privy..I wonder how many other Bonsai spouses or roommates have to deal with our necessary reading materials in the bathroom?

That cracks me up lol!
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:36 am

stagz wrote:fiona- READ while on the toilet by all means! i have a stack of em right on the tank!
This happened to me while doing woodworking...my magazine of choice changed...that is the time I realized I got old. Embarassed Twisted Evil
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:56 am

Just had the chance to browse a back issue of Bonsai Focus this past weekend - not sure of the date of the issue - but it looked like a pretty good magazine. Couldn't figure out how much shipping would be to the U.S. (the website wouldn't tell me that until I registered), does anyone know the total cost for a 1 year subscription in USD?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Van Fleet Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:34 am

Bonsai Focus is $65.00 for 6 issues. I subscribe to it, international Bonsai, and Journal of the ABS. I like to renew International Bonsai toward the end of the year, because all 4 issues arrive at once, and provide some fresh holiday reading!
Brian Van Fleet
Brian Van Fleet

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:52 am

Thanks Brian!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:30 pm

stagz wrote: awesome toilet material etc. .

yea baby, great minds poo alike
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Brian Van Fleet wrote:Bonsai Focus is $65.00 for 6 issues. I subscribe to it, international Bonsai, and Journal of the ABS. I like to renew International Bonsai toward the end of the year, because all 4 issues arrive at once, and provide some fresh holiday reading!
Brian,

If you can only have one...which will you choose? If you wish, you can answer this through PM.

Thank you.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Van Fleet Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:37 pm

That's tough, they're all good for different reasons. I try to not miss an issue of either BF or IB! I'm new to ABS, but will be renewing it too.

PM sent.
Brian Van Fleet
Brian Van Fleet

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:23 pm

I'd advise that you look at back issues of all of them. If you belong to a club, many clubs have "libraries" with older magazines in them -- usually BT and either the BCI or ABS magazines. Bill V sells back issues of International Bonsai. I dunno about Bonsai Focus -- like BT, it seems to most often deal in the kinds of bonsai (BIG!) that I don't grow.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks Jim,

Joey actually told me through email that I can check out the magazines mentioned here bound by year from our bonsai club. I will probably do that before choosing.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Dario,

Bonsai Today 1 to 34 or so.
If you need, I can photocopy a few pages and send to you.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next