Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica

5 posters

Go down

Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Empty Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience growing Indian Hawthorn as a bonsai? I've been promised a great stump by a friend, and would like to know anything about their cultivation as bonsai.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Empty Hi Andrew

Post  tap pi lu Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm

you go to google : tex : "Crataegus".
they have a lot in Lao Cai province, northern Vietnam.
cultivated land is hilly land on the mountain.I think the quality cultivation of very well, it will grow
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Empty Re: Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica

Post  Russell Coker Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi Andrew.

I've never tried it as bonsai, but I have seen a couple of nice, old ones over the years. It's a common landscape plant here, but I have found them difficult to transplant (in a garden situation). They seem to resent being moved and cut back, even when they are young. I wouldn't consider trying to move them except in early spring before any signs of new growth.

Keep us posted.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Empty Re: Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica

Post  Andrew Legg Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Tap pi lu, I may be wrong, but it may be a different species? Thanks for the suggestion!

Russell, this particular one has been dug out already, so it's either to the tip or into my back yard. I know what you'd do! :-) Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  tap pi lu Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 am

Andrew Legg wrote:Tap pi lu, I may be wrong, but it may be a different species? Thanks for the suggestion!

Russell, this particular one has been dug out already, so it's either to the tip or into my back yard. I know what you'd do! :-) Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Andrew
oh. Indian Hawthorn I have photos of it.I do not have it but I'm sure that will be very good for bonsai
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:32 am

tap pi lu wrote:
Andrew Legg wrote:Tap pi lu, I may be wrong, but it may be a different species? Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,

Andrew
oh. Indian Hawthorn I have photos of it.I do not have it but I'm sure that will be very good for bonsai

Tap pi lu, I'm going this evening to have a look at the stump. I'll post a photo once I get back. Very Happy Can't wait!

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:46 pm

So all, here's the tree!

Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Hawtho10

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Empty re: indian Hawthorn

Post  tap pi lu Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:24 am

flower plants like this is right or wrong
Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Rhaphiolepis_indica
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 am

tap pi lu wrote:flower plants like this is right or wrong
Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Rhaphiolepis_indica

Tap pi lu, I'm not sure what you mean? Are you asking whether it is right to make bonsai from flowering plants?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Empty hi

Post  tap pi lu Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:11 am

I've read this picture on Google.May be incorrect.
but I think all of are used as bonsai trees.
Flowering trees are more beautiful.
[img]Indian Hawthorn - Raphiolepis indica Rhaphi10[/img]
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 am

Andrew,
How is your raphiolepsis? Can You post a picture?
It is one of Tanya Vissers favorite plants...she told me when she came to visit me.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:44 am

Sorry I never realized, you just posted it...I was googling it and it just came.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelJ Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Rhaphiolepis indica is different from other plants referred to as hawthorn. Last year, I dug some really good old ones out and spent several days trying to figure out what to do with it, because every time I looked up hawthorn bonsai, I would find pages about crataegus.

I dug out four of them that were the size of smart cars. I pruned them back pretty hard, about like you did. One is thriving. There are new buds all over the old wood. Two are still alive, and growing at the tips, but not budding back on old wood. The fourth one got knocked over by my dogs and some of the roots dried out before I discovered it, resulting in a lot of foliage later drying up, so that one might be failing. In California, where I live, they are very common landscape plants, so finding older material for free or nearly free is easy. Digging them out can be hard work, though. They like to send out thick tap roots.

They don't have tiny leaves, and I don't know of a way to reduce leaf size significantly. Most of the good ones I've seen are very large with very thick trunks, but I've actually seen one good one that was shohin. I've mostly seen them as informal upright, clump and cascade styles. They do best in Zones 7-10 and are hardy to 0°F. They prefer partial shade. They like slightly acidic, well-draining soil with a little more organic composition than more traditional bonsai species. They flower in mid-spring and produce bluish-black berries in the fall.

MichaelJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down