Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very wounded branch

3 posters

Go down

Very wounded branch Empty Very wounded branch

Post  Barry M Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:29 pm

About a month and a half ago, I overdid it moving a wired branch as it was nearly broken off. It was an important branch as it contained the apex and only about 5 percent of the cambium remained attached. The branch stayed on the tree (Punica granatum nana) thanks to the wire that's still there. During this past month, the branch has remained alive and has even sent out healthy new growth. I reinforced the branch with some glue (Elmer's Glue All - which is rather inocuous) to stabilize it. Anyway, do you feel that the branch has a chance to make it? I'd hate to lose it as there is no other candidate apex in sight. Anyone else have success with a very wounded branch with so little cambium? Thanks.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Very wounded branch Empty Re: Very wounded branch

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:29 am

It should make it, but you will forevermore have to be careful. Broken branches don't "heal" like broken bones do. In time, new cambium will/may grow over the break on your branch, but the break will always be there, and too much bending will rupture the new tissue that is (in effect) splinting it.

If I were you I'd use some super glue or Gorilla glue to replace the Elmer's -- which will eventually dissolve away, anyway.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:32 am

Thank you Jim. It's true that there is no teacher like experience and I will use greater care with wiring and bending in the future.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Very wounded branch Empty Wounded Branch

Post  bonsaisr Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:35 pm

You will be very lucky if it survives. Damaged branches on dwarf pomegranate have a tendency to die. If it is the great big tree you were telling me about, you should be able to train up another leader.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum