Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The secret to Serissas?

+2
Khaimraj Seepersad
Ryan
6 posters

Go down

The secret to Serissas? Empty The secret to Serissas?

Post  Ryan Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:22 am

Hi everyone,

For years I've struggled with keeping Serissa happy and flowering, and have never had luck with them. They always seemed so temperamental and would like to die for no reason. I was reading on another forum about an interesting idea. The idea involves leaving the trees outdoors even in the colder temperatures, and that they are kept too warm in the winter. Here's that thread with lots of good information:

http://bonsaivaultforum.freeforums.org/overwintering-serissa-t787.html?hilit=serissa

So, has anyone ever attempted this? I'd love to give Serissa another shot so long as I can figure out how to keep them alive for longer than a few months tongue

Ryan

Back to top Go down

The secret to Serissas? Empty Re: The secret to Serissas?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:38 am

Ryan,

here in the tropics, placement for all types of Serissas is full sun and freely draining soil. The double form gives me the weakest result and never gets a trunk larger than 10 mm.

For winter, just write to Carl Rosner. His e-mail address is on the page you left for viewing.

The Chinese type serissa is the one that is capable of building a trunk. I have seen up to 3 inches offered for sale in the U.K.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:20 pm

Serissa is NOT a true tropical. It is used as a hedge plant well into zone 8. Perhaps people baby them too much, and the plant grows to expect it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Water quaility

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:59 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not familiar with the Chinese type Serissa, so I'll have to look around for that, thanks Khaimraj.

I had always thought Serissa was a true tropical, guess not, thanks Jim.

Mitch, you really think water quality affects them that much?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  John Lee Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Ryan,

Jim is right, they are not a true tropical. I live in Mobile, Al and leave them out during the winter (we really don't have much of a winter, just a few cold snaps), except for when the temp gets in the low 20's. They do fine and seem to do just as well or even better that the ones that I brought inside. Either way, inside or out, they will drop their leaves, then leaf out again in spring. Don't have any of the Chinese variety so I can't speak for it. I do have several different varieties of the Japanese ones and all handle the cold well.

No other special care, I just treat them like the rest of my trees. They really aren't as finiky as most believe, actually they grow like weeds.

John
John Lee
John Lee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Ryan
Over the years I have tried to keep several sarrissias to no avail. I have city water that is very high sodium and high alikininty level. This keeps me from keeping many plants that others have no problem with. IE azaleas, sarrissias,gardinia are just a few. This is my experience many will disagree, so this is one plant I do not try to keep any longer.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

The secret to Serissas? Empty Secret to Serissa

Post  bonsaisr Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Mitch Thomas wrote: I have city water that is very high sodium and high alkilinity level. This keeps me from keeping many plants that others have no problem with.
Mitch
I don't recall your mentioning an apartment, so I presume you live in a house. Problem solved. You probably have a dehumidifier somewhere. Use the water from that. It is DISTILLED WATER.
I also assume your house has gutters & downspouts. Get a rain barrel.
My winter plant room is very warm, but I don't think that is always the problem with serissas. I have found that they are very susceptible to poor drainage & overwatering. Also they seem to prefer humidity over 65%.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down