Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professional photography presentation at (USA) National Bonsai & Penjing Museum

2 posters

Go down

Professional photography presentation at (USA) National Bonsai & Penjing Museum Empty Professional photography presentation at (USA) National Bonsai & Penjing Museum

Post  Chris Cochrane Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Sunday (day-before-yesterday), professional photographer Michael Colella spoke to Potomac Viewing Stone Group about photographing viewing stones/suiseki in the (USA) National Collection. For a professional photographer there are so many bells & whistles for improvement.

In one example, Mike illustrated taking 5 distinct photos of Luciana Queirolo's La Bella using an adjusted polarizing filter & light sources to highlight distinctions with neither the stone nor camera moving. His composite photo created from selected areas of the 5 images revealed minute details throughout the final image. This is a far cry from a snapshot... and would require lengthy physical adjustments to prepare a studio photo for film capture.

On a large screen, projected images clarified details of stones with which I am very familiar. Re-experiencing them in enlarged detail with careful lighting & glare controlled was extraordinary... though nothing is as satisfying as viewing each stone, itself.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Professional photography presentation at (USA) National Bonsai & Penjing Museum Empty Professional Photography Presentation

Post  kora Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:15 am

Photography, whether professional or amateur is inherently a distortion of the object, as you present a 3 dimensional object in 2 dimensions-something always gets lost-even when you use 3D-naturally with today's incredible photographic tools, we can get more accurate results, but I consider every photograph as a tool to remind me of the original-if I have actually seen the object at a show. I have learned the hard way, that judging a stone a bonsai or any object merely from a photograph, can lead you down a dangerous path-now even more so than in the past, as we can manipulate the photograph even more vigorously than in the past.

kora

Back to top Go down

Professional photography presentation at (USA) National Bonsai & Penjing Museum Empty Re: Professional photography presentation at (USA) National Bonsai & Penjing Museum

Post  Chris Cochrane Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:35 am

Hi Kora... Thanks. I largely feel as you do that the truth is in the real object rather than a photograph.

This past week, I attended a walk-through with staff at my local fine arts museum. Standing in front of an early Paul Cezanne portrait, the lecturer/facilitator spoke of the objects place in art and asked her audience for comment. Then, two facilitators passed-around enlargements of the painting's details on tablet computers. Standing at less than two meters from the modestly-sized painting, I wasn't picking out the incredible brushwork so obvious in the photos. Between eye & brain, there must be selective reduction in viewing the world. Photography sometimes astonishes with the brilliance of perspective that is true but often overlooked.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Professional photography presentation at (USA) National Bonsai & Penjing Museum Empty Re: Professional photography presentation at (USA) National Bonsai & Penjing Museum

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down