Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual

4 posters

Go down

Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Empty Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual

Post  rolandp Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:38 am

Dear IBC members

I like to show you the beginning of the story of my first Prunus Mahaleb. This spring the tree has been wired for the first time and got the basic shape. A few weeks ago I defoliated the whole tree, replace the wire and positioned the branches more detailed. Unfortunately, I was pretty clumsy and completely broke off the first right branch. The branch has broken off because I wired just the secondary branches, the primary branches was not wired, bcs I intended to position it closer to the trunk with wire tensioning. Since the primary branch had no support with extra wire in contact with the trunk, it broke off right at the connection point with the trunk. Lesson learned. I'll never ever tension branches without the support of extra wire to the trunk.

In any case the branch is gone and a new one has to be developed. But the important thing is that the tree is in good shape, it is healthy and that the vision of the design for future development is outlined. It will now just take a little bit longer.

Prunus Mahaleb - starting material 2012-02
Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Reseljika201202001

Prunus Mahaleb 2012-06 - before defoliation (the right branch is still there)
Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Reseljika201206001

Prunus Mahaleb 2012-07 - three weeks after defoliation and wiring (without the broken right branch Sad )
Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Reseljika201207001

Prunus Mahaleb 2015?? - virtual of future development
Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Reseljika201207001vp

Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Reseljika201207montaza1p

Cheers, roland
rolandp
rolandp

Back to top Go down

Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Empty Re: Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual

Post  marcus watts Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:01 am

nice, lovely trunk movement

how long do you think the dropping branch will take to grow with the tree potted?

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Empty Re: Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual

Post  rolandp Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi Marcus, im glad you like the tree.

The dropping branch will need probably 3 to 5 additional years to fit the shape which i draw in the virtual, but than it will need some additional time to mature. Of course it depends how lucky i will be with the development. I managed to develop a very strong branch with help of a sacrifice branch on one other tree in two years. But the problem is that this fast development came with a price of almost no narrowing of the branch. So in this case i will take a slower approach.

roland
rolandp
rolandp

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:17 am

very nice movements and I like your future design Very Happy
pongsatorn.k
pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Empty mahaleb

Post  abcd Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:12 am

hello, for me , the pot is too small, too wide not deep enough, prunus mahaleb like deep pots , and move the tree a little to the left
[img]Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Mahale13[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  rolandp Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:04 am

Hi "abcd"

I absolutely agree about the size of the pot and the positioning of the tree in this kind of pot.
Thanks for the comment and the virtual.

It is new to me that Prunus like deep pots? Could you please tell us a bit more about this? Is it bcs of the soil temperature, root grow habits,....?

regards, roland
rolandp
rolandp

Back to top Go down

Prunus Mahaleb - First syling and future virtual Empty deep pots for prunus mahaleb

Post  abcd Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:48 am

Hello, prunus mahaleb emit a lot of roots and love constant humidity , this is why i use deeps and not glazed pots ( not glazed pots can be used in exhibitions for satsuki , pinus and prunus with dead woods) .
To create the structure very quickly, in April, allowed to grow 5 or 6 leaves, then, when buds appear in the axils of lower leaves, remove the two leaves at the base off the branche , let grow to the end off may, then defoliate again.
With that technic , we can make three spring in one year .

abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  rolandp Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:42 am

abcd wrote:Hello, prunus mahaleb emit a lot of roots and love constant humidity , this is why i use deeps and not glazed pots ( not glazed pots can be used in exhibitions for satsuki , pinus and prunus with dead woods) .
To create the structure very quickly, in April, allowed to grow 5 or 6 leaves, then, when buds appear in the axils of lower leaves, remove the two leaves at the base off the branche , let grow to the end off may, then defoliate again.
With that technic , we can make three spring in one year .

Hello, thanks a lot for this additional information.

regards,roland
rolandp
rolandp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down