Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about wire

4 posters

Go down

Question about wire  Empty Question about wire

Post  suiseki133 Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:03 pm

As stupid as it sounds, I was just wondering if its okay to use thinner gauges of steel wire on junipers or whether the steel could potentially cause problems for the plant further down the track?

suiseki133

Back to top Go down

Question about wire  Empty Re: Question about wire

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Problem with wires other than copper and aluminum is they are not malleable enough. Some like steel are much stronger but hard to work with and may cause unwanted bark damage during wiring. Some also spring back and refuse to take the shape you want. Rust or corrosion is also a concern. All in all, I won't suggest using it.

BTW, I do use tie wires which are plastic coated steel wires for guy wires and they work great.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:32 pm

Steel wire can react with conifer sap. if the wires cut in this interaction can cause Black rot which can result in death of the tree as it spreads throughout the tissue.

Use copper or aluminum.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:46 am

hi,
for wrapping around branches as above - copper and or aluminium.

For serious tension wires steel is better even than copper - it is much stronger - I had 2.5mm copper wire snap when bending the needle juniper trunk and had to use doubled 3mm to take the strain as i had no steel. (Aluminium wire is useless for guy and tension wires - it slowly stretches under load so the branches start going back where they were, or you need it so thick it looks bad)

over time you end up with a selection of wire and results are best using the right one for the job

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down