Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garden Juniper 6 year progression

+13
Vance Wood
yamasuri
Carolee
robert nocher
EpicusMaximus
Gary Swiech
Fore
Nick D
dorothy7774
Zach Smith
lordy
Orion
Rob C
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Empty Quebec Location

Post  Carolee Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:16 pm

EpicusMaximus, don't know where you live in Quebec, but in Montreal there is the Japanese Garden and Pavilion at the Montreal Botonical Gardens. David Easterbook is now retired, but lives in Montreal, and is quite knowledgeable about bonsai. He would be a great resource for you if you live in the area. There is probably a club there too. The Mohawk Hudson Bonsai Society traveled there in June. Pauline Muth (www.pfmbonsai.com) could probably give you contact information. Good luck.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Empty Re: Garden Juniper 6 year progression

Post  EpicusMaximus Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:07 am

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Empty Re: Garden Juniper 6 year progression

Post  yamasuri Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:55 am

The best you can get here in QC is http://www.bonsaimontreal.com/index.htm and http://www.bonsaiduquebec.com/ I'm not to good in French so I'm collecting my bonsai knowledge most on internet. As member of SBPM can buy substrat Chabasai and Haydit and also composted pine bark conditioner. These I'm using for better level of my trees which are poted in ceramics pots. As training substrat I'm using diatomite [http://www.diatomitecanada.com/] which you can buy at any autopart store as "oil absorbent-! read the label before buy!" Than you can add crushed gravel which you can buy as unorganic component [ I buy in bags and screen 1/8] As dreniage on the bottom of training pot I use 3/8 sand. If need add some organic material I have good experience with fir compost bark [is $5 20kg bag at nursery] Diatomite has great absorbtion of water and if fertilized holds nutrients.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:21 am

You have served yourself and this tree well by not falling into the Procumbens foliage pad trap where the foliage pads are made to look like little rounded mounds of vegetables at the ends of the branches. I think the work you have done is first rate and the results are finished looking without looking contrived, a real problem with this species of Juniper.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Thank you very much Vance.. A few years back I saw that the tree was heading down that poodle path as you described. Being a healthy tree that was never over worked. Cutting it down to a skeleton to achieve a great internal structure seemed the way to go. Next season, I am planning on creating more shari up the trunk.

I love a nice procumbens. You might have to work a little bit more than with shimpaku and the like. However, in my opinion, the result are worth it.

Here is a new pic from the the last season

Rob

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 IMG_3596-Copy2

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Empty virtual tree

Post  abcd Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:27 am

More " bunjing style" with a smaller pot :
[img]Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 Procum14[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 am

nice work..
one possible way to increase the dancing trunk with shari and foliage positionning
[img]Garden Juniper 6 year progression - Page 2 P1080410[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks for the replu abcd. although your virt is nice, I feel it might not be right for this particular tree.

Hi cram. That is definrtely an impressive vision for this tree. Under different circumstances, I would style the tree as your drawing suggestions. However, there are a couple of things to consider. One, when you first look at this tree, it is very balanced. Pads flow and descend smoothly anfd there is a nice space above the main first branch. The only issue, if it could even be considered an issue, is that the trunk might be a bit thin to carry the silhouette. However, at first glance, it is really not that noticeable. I decided a while ago that I was going to keep everything the way it is because, in the years to come, I was going to let the trunk naturally thicken. Meanwhile, keeping the silhouette of the tree in check. Basically, by letting nature do it's thing, this tree will only improve in time.

Another thing is the actual size of this tree. This tree is not big at all. The tree is maybe 11 inches tall. For some reason, I see the tree in your drawing as a nice say, 20 inches tall bunjin.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  mikebonsai Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:44 pm

This tree looks great! Lovely to see what can be achieved with nursery stock. The tree is well-balanced and healthy it looks, I'm overly jealous.

mikebonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:05 pm

mikebonsai wrote:This tree looks great! Lovely to see what can be achieved with nursery stock. The tree is well-balanced and healthy it looks, I'm overly jealous.

Amen to that, this is a gorgeous tree.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:50 pm

mikebonsai wrote:This tree looks great! Lovely to see what can be achieved with nursery stock. The tree is well-balanced and healthy it looks, I'm overly jealous.

thank you very much Mike.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Vance Wood wrote:

Amen to that, this is a gorgeous tree.

Thank you Vance. Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm

I think I liked better at it's original height. The fewer bends in the trunk were more pleasing to me and the trunk had a thicker appearence. All in all though a very nice styling.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Twisted Trees wrote:I think I liked better at it's original height. The fewer bends in the trunk were more pleasing to me and the trunk had a thicker appearence. All in all though a very nice styling.

Hello Twisted Trees. The height was never reduced. The tree has always been roughly this height, minus an inch or so. Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2