Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese elm Mallsai in progress ;)

+8
akhater
Sakaki
Ryan
Smithy
Poink88
Billy M. Rhodes
bonsaisr
dadshouse
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Chinese elm Mallsai in progress ;) - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese elm Mallsai in progress ;)

Post  fiona Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:46 am

That's a good tip. Over here in the UK you can buy clear plastic pots that are made specially for air layering (they have a kind of "hinge" mechanism to let them open), but whether they are any more effective than any of the methods already mentioned in this thread is debatable.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Mallsai in progress ;) - Page 2 Empty Re: Chinese elm Mallsai in progress ;)

Post  dadshouse Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey Billy would you recommend removing those branches prior to the air layer and let them heal first or remove and layer right after it just below the branch location? Thanks-Mario
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:25 pm

akhater wrote:What I usually do is use an empty plastic water bottle instead of the pot since it is transparent and then I cover it all with a black plastic bag.

advantages: 1. it is easier to keep the moss in place 2. you can easily check for roots anytime you want

Hmmmmmm that is a good idea.... Smile
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:09 pm

dadshouse wrote:Hey Billy would you recommend removing those branches prior to the air layer and let them heal first or remove and layer right after it just below the branch location? Thanks-Mario

I think it would be easier to get the layer cut made and whatever wrapping you select with the branches gone, I wouldn't worry about letting them heal.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 am

Mario,
You may even use the junction where those branches meet the trunk as the rooting point for the layer. There is usually a bit of trunk flare where the branches emerge.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Tue May 01, 2012 1:01 am

DreadyKGB wrote:Mario,
You may even use the junction where those branches meet the trunk as the rooting point for the layer. There is usually a bit of trunk flare where the branches emerge.

Todd
That's what i am planning now. Im off wednesday so i will start it then. Also picked up a Kiyohime maple to work on. I love spring Very Happy
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Sat May 05, 2012 2:23 am

Wow what a busy week and also working the weekend but i am going to start the airlayer either sat. Or sun. Have everything I need together so it shouldnt take to long. Even sharpened up my pocket knife. ThumbsUp
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Mon May 07, 2012 10:16 pm

[img]Chinese elm Mallsai in progress ;) - Page 2 2012_05_07_16_47_28_74 hosting images[/img] Time to start Smile
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Mon May 07, 2012 10:19 pm

[img]Chinese elm Mallsai in progress ;) - Page 2 2012_05_07_16_52_49_250 upload pictures[/img]
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Mon May 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Now its time to wait Smile[img]Chinese elm Mallsai in progress ;) - Page 2 2012_05_07_16_58_39_529 picture hosting[/img]
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Tue May 08, 2012 1:18 pm

Now that i have air layered should I continue to fertilize as normal? Thanks Smile
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue May 08, 2012 7:28 pm

Yes! Vigorous top growth will only help the process.

For reference...I layered a Chinese elm (cork bark type) last year. Branch thickness was about 1" or a little more. I put the layer on in late May and had enough roots to separate it by early August. They tend to root quickly and aggressively.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Tue May 08, 2012 8:45 pm

coh wrote:Yes! Vigorous top growth will only help the process.

For reference...I layered a Chinese elm (cork bark type) last year. Branch thickness was about 1" or a little more. I put the layer on in late May and had enough roots to separate it by early August. They tend to root quickly and aggressively.
Awesome Chris thanks Cool
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Fri May 11, 2012 2:33 am

Wow there is all kinds of new growth at the top since I air layered it so I guess its thriving and haven't damaged her so far ThumbsUp
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Xavier de Lapeyre Thu May 23, 2013 10:16 am

Hi Dadshouse,
Its been over a year now...
Any updates on how the airlayer went and what happened afterwards?
Xavier de Lapeyre
Xavier de Lapeyre

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu May 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Unfortunately he hasn't been seen since last year, so I'm doubtful of a reply Razz

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2