Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88)

+4
Sam Ogranaja
Russell Coker
JMcCoy
Poink88
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88) Empty Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88)

Post  Poink88 Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 pm

6 months into this hobby, I decided to do a few of these tree progression of some of my trees.

There is a lot of change in such a short while but please believe me that I listed to & observe my plants and (I think/believe) only do what it can handle. This is my methodology and not advocating others to follow it. If I am wrong, this progression will be the ultimate testament to it.

This tree is claimed by my my wife. (the custody battle is still ongoing since I am not letting go).

As collected - February 26, 2012
Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88) P1110821
Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88) P1110816

As of April 15, 2012 (less than 2 months after) After a pot adjustment and more pruning.
Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88) P1120263

As of May 19, 2012 (3 months after)
Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88) P1120396

As of August 29, 2012 (6 months after). It slowed down a lot during summer. Removed 4 branches.
Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88) P1130477

Last edited by Poink88 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 am; edited 3 times in total
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88) Empty Re: Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88)

Post  JMcCoy Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:40 am

Looking really nice!! I can see this being a terrific Bonsai in little time, the "bones" are all there. And great nebari. It just need to grow out for a while now. Was this one of the ones we collected?
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88) Empty Re: Buxus/Boxwood #2 tree progression (Poink88)

Post  Poink88 Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Joey, Yes this is the one I was digging when you arrived.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:56 pm

That's a pretty boxwood, I'd have dug it too! You have a really good eye, keep it up.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Russell Coker wrote:

That's a pretty boxwood, I'd have dug it too! You have a really good eye, keep it up.

R

I agree. I hope you win the custody battle. Smile

Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 pm

a very nice beginning. I hope that buds pop where they need to on some of that bare wood. Be thinking of a work-around if they dont, just so you dont cut off what might be bent/twisted or grafted into place to fill a void. But let's just hope bareness is not an issue. I like the feel of the tree's lines. Keep the pics coming.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:26 pm

lordy wrote:a very nice beginning. I hope that buds pop where they need to on some of that bare wood. Be thinking of a work-around if they dont, just so you dont cut off what might be bent/twisted or grafted into place to fill a void. But let's just hope bareness is not an issue. I like the feel of the tree's lines. Keep the pics coming.
Lordy,

Thanks. There is only one branch that did not bud back (the right branch of the "trident" at the top) and if it doesn't bud, it will be removed. It shouldn't impact the tree design that much and honestly, it might actually improve it. I did consider removing one of the trident branches to begin with. There are 2 branches waiting to fill the void it will leave behind if ever so yes, I already have a plan. Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:55 pm

Sam Ogranaja wrote:I hope you win the custody battle. Smile
Sam,

It is an ongoing joke between us that is why I am not "giving in". It adds excitement (yeah we are dull LOL) Between you and me...she can have everything I have (including all the trees)....she deserve that much for treating me so well. Dance But shhh, don't tell her okay?! Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Poink88 wrote:
Sam Ogranaja wrote:I hope you win the custody battle. Smile
Sam,

It is an ongoing joke between us that is why I am not "giving in". It adds excitement (yeah we are dull LOL) Between you and me...she can have everything I have (including all the trees)....she deserve that much for treating me so well. Dance But shhh, don't tell her okay?! Wink

LOL I won't. Some of us bonsai guys are lucky to have such understanding wives with everything we put them through. My wife has gone above and beyond helping me with my obsession, including going to the National Exhibition for our wedding anniversary. We'll make a side trip into the city for a couple romantic nights though.

Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Sam Ogranaja wrote:LOL I won't. Some of us bonsai guys are lucky to have such understanding wives with everything we put them through. My wife has gone above and beyond helping me with my obsession, including going to the National Exhibition for our wedding anniversary. We'll make a side trip into the city for a couple romantic nights though.
Sam
Ah yes - Rochester, the city of romance! Or maybe you mean Buffalo! In any case, should be a memorable anniversary!

Dario, that boxwood is really nice. Great trunk and rootage (I don't think that's really a word, though). Can't wait to see it fill out. The only thing that bothers me is that very straight upper branch/trunk segment that shoots off to the upper right. I think blocking part of it with a foliage mass will take care of that problem, though.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Chris, Yes, that bothers me too and I will (as hard as it is) try to bend it and give it some movement. Not 100% sure it can be done but I am planning an attack for next year.

Sam, My wife even dig with me most of the time. Very Happy
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:47 pm

You think that's bend-able? Looks too thick to me!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:02 pm

by coh on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:47 am

It's probably not too thick.

Dario, I'll bet it would have bent to give a little movement or twist, but since it has that cut-off scar at the base where another was removed, and the branch is awfully short now.. I feel that if you tried to bend it, it would probably break or split off, possibly losing that branch. It would be safer to develop or move a foliage pad in front of it eventually to break up the line. Just my thoughts..
JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:46 am

Since the branch is pretty open and accessible, I was planning on using my jack so the bend is not going to be drastic and risk of losing the branch should be minimal. That said, I am willing to wait and see if I can "break" the straight branch by covering part of it with foliage.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:22 am

JMcCoy wrote:
by coh on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:47 am

It's probably not too thick.

Dario, I'll bet it would have bent to give a little movement or twist, but since it has that cut-off scar at the base where another was removed, and the branch is awfully short now.. I feel that if you tried to bend it, it would probably break or split off, possibly losing that branch. It would be safer to develop or move a foliage pad in front of it eventually to break up the line. Just my thoughts..

Mine too.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:28 pm

Joey & Russell,

Who am I to argue with the 2 people I admire most when it comes to boxwood styling? Wink Your advise is much appreciated and is taken. Thanks!!!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Hey, they got the idea from me! Razz Just joking...this is going to be a great tree to work with. If you ever get tired of bonsai, let me know...I'd love to take it off your hands! Maybe one day I'll find one like it...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  jong Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm

very nice material, the 2nd generation of branches is given. Same with you, i'm also 6 months into this hobby. i learn a lot in this site and i met a lot of people here. thank you for sharing.

-jong

jong

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Chris,

That's what makes forums great...even a newbie can have good ideas. Mine could be wrong but sounding off helps refine or totally change it. Bringing it up surely helped me and I thank you for that. Otherwise, I will be doing what I thought is best.

Re: finding a similar stock...they are out there. I just got permission to collect some old hedge in a construction demolition area. I just need to wait for a gas line to be relocated or turned off. Not the best time to collect but they are goners if I don't try anyway. Sad but more than half are already dead/dry. Hope this pans out before the rest dies since the hedge should be really old. I only saw them from afar since the area is fenced and crawling with heavy equipment (crane, bull dozer, excavator, backhoe, dump truck, etc.). The superintendent even offered to use these eqpt to excavate the hedge for me!!! cheers
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm

coh wrote:
Sam Ogranaja wrote:LOL I won't. Some of us bonsai guys are lucky to have such understanding wives with everything we put them through. My wife has gone above and beyond helping me with my obsession, including going to the National Exhibition for our wedding anniversary. We'll make a side trip into the city for a couple romantic nights though.
Sam
Ah yes - Rochester, the city of romance! Or maybe you mean Buffalo! In any case, should be a memorable anniversary!

Dario, that boxwood is really nice. Great trunk and rootage (I don't think that's really a word, though). Can't wait to see it fill out. The only thing that bothers me is that very straight upper branch/trunk segment that shoots off to the upper right. I think blocking part of it with a foliage mass will take care of that problem, though.

I actually meant Schenectady. LOL

We were thinking of taking the long drive to NYC for the rest of the trip.

Dario, I hope you can rescue some more of these beauties. Better to try and fail than never to try at all.
Have a great week Y'all!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Schenectady! That would have been my next guess. Smile I lived in Albany for about 8 years so I'm quite familiar with that area. Grew up outside of NYC (Long Island) but never spent much time in the city. One of these days I have to rectify that...

BTW, depending on what kind of trip you want (more city or more outdoorsy), upstate NY has a lot of beautiful natural areas. Some near Rochester (Niagara Falls, Letchworth gorge - location of my profile photo), some further (Adirondacks), some closer to NYC - in particular, the Hudson valley is very scenic and has lots of historic areas.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:46 pm

coh wrote:Schenectady! That would have been my next guess. Smile I lived in Albany for about 8 years so I'm quite familiar with that area. Grew up outside of NYC (Long Island) but never spent much time in the city. One of these days I have to rectify that...

BTW, depending on what kind of trip you want (more city or more outdoorsy), upstate NY has a lot of beautiful natural areas. Some near Rochester (Niagara Falls, Letchworth gorge - location of my profile photo), some further (Adirondacks), some closer to NYC - in particular, the Hudson valley is very scenic and has lots of historic areas.

Thanks Chris, Do you mind if I PM you a little later today? I'm going to check with the wife and see what kind of trip would make the most sense. We both love the outdoors.
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:52 pm

No prob, I'm going to be out for the next few hours but PM me anytime, I'll get back to you.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun May 20, 2012 2:23 am

Posted an update picture today at the original post.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  dadshouse Sun May 20, 2012 6:48 am

Very nice progression and great find Smile I will be following this.
dadshouse
dadshouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next