Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall?

4 posters

Go down

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Empty Hawthorn Button-Top Gall?

Post  gope Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi guys, next problem in my garden. New growth of one of my hawthorns looks like this:

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Dsc_0014

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Dsc_0015

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Dsc_0016

I suspect Button-Top Gall or aphids attack although I didn't find any kind of critters on one of the shoots I cut for inspection with magnifying glass.
Hawthorn experts! Anyone dealt with something similar?
Cheers.
Marcin

gope

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Empty Re: Hawthorn Button-Top Gall?

Post  Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi gope

Provadosticks stuck in the soil in late winter, will kill this sickness. And also keep other things like greenflies away.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks Yvonne!
I really have to start to use some insecticides late winter, especially on Hawthorns which are the favourite piece of cake for our little "friends".
Do you use Provado sticks during all growing season? If they're not aphids on this tree, they will come anyway. I was fighting them with strong stream of water so far only.
Thanks
Marcin

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi Gope

Hawthorns is the only trees I treat two times a year...the first time, because of the sickness you showed....later only for the greenflies.
Also other kinds of trees is treated with provadosticks, if they are a kind off tree greenflies like.
Also do I belive they keep biting/eating insects away from the roots and wood, provado maybe make the wood taste ugly...I dont really know, but I have a feeling, as bugs dont harm my treated trees anymore.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:50 pm

I don't know about the gall, but most galls are just evidence of the presence of a disease or insect that damages the leaves and is not harmful in and of itself. To me, these leaves look as if they have been attacked by one of the sucking insects -- one of the "true bugs (Hemiptera) such as stink bug, etc., aphids, white fly, etc.

Any of the contact sprays should take care of these.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks Yvonne and Jim.
I sprayed some "bug clear" spray over the foliage and buds about a week ago. Growth seems to speed up a little but still appear deformed. Too short time to say. Hopefully when it extends more curl will stop.
What do you think?
Regards
Marcin

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:44 pm

For some years did I try to spray away the sickness. To me is this impossible....I even tried to spray every day as the leaves was budding.

Only provadosticks will remove this problem,. and this in an very easy way.

The sick leaves become soft and unusefull for the tree, it is a really bad and ugly sickness

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Yvonne, do you want to say this season is lost for this hawthorn? I presume I can avoid this disease only by application when tree is still dormant? Or will I stick provado now and pray?

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Gope

I would give provado asap, and leave out any spray.

I think the tree will make new leaves, I dont think it is to late....From next year will you forgett you ever had the problem. Good luck.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks Yvonne!

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:35 pm

sorry to pick this 'old' topic up, its not my intention to do so with all old topics Very Happy
But since its a crataegus and i love crataegi, here we go.

Have you considered frost-damage? We're talking early april, so the first growth that is on your pictures. I am pretty sure it is only just that. Last year 1 of my hawthorns (in belgium so not 'that far' away) suffered the same. They open buds early in the season, and some severe late frost at the right time will result in such damage.

At that time of year, and with the first shoots coming out, it would be very rare to have aphids or lice or other illness allready attacking your hawthorn.

Anyway about provado, yes i use that too, Provado Ultra to be precise, i spray it, its a systemic insecticide.

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Empty hi gope

Post  tap pi lu Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 am

This is not due to the in-depth nature of the bugs, I think the residue in the soil more than allow ausin also caused this disease, it keep the development of roots and leaves.I've also encountered this problem with the small Apple tree when using fertilizer to grow rootsthey were chun again hardly developed, some trees have died
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:39 pm

tap pi lu, how did you solve this problem?
thanks
Marcin

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi Marcin. What would be helpful would be a pic of your affected tree as it is now 3 months later. I'd veer towards the frost damage and/or aphids diagnosis as what you were showing in April was very similar to a problem I had with a couple of hawthorns and a blackthorn. All have made good recoveries.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Fiona! Hawthorn is doing well, lots of growth this year although foliage is looking somehow different. I will put photos soon.
Thanks,
Marcin

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Promised pictures:

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Dsc_0210

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Dsc_0211

I think the foliage was more open last year. Leaves were flat and bigger. Maybe it's just an ilusion for me.
Anyway if it's not a sign of the disease, I don't mind if it stays like this.

Regards

Marcin

gope

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Empty Hi gope

Post  tap pi lu Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:02 pm

gope wrote:tap pi lu, how did you solve this problem?
thanks
Marcin
I think you cut down on the number of times watered in soil, sprays on the trunk and shot many times over for moisturizing, and airy soil, the roots
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:57 pm

gope wrote:Promised pictures:

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Dsc_0210

Hawthorn Button-Top Gall? Dsc_0211

I think the foliage was more open last year. Leaves were flat and bigger. Maybe it's just an ilusion for me.
Anyway if it's not a sign of the disease, I don't mind if it stays like this.

Regards

Marcin

Well I dont see any illness here... dont forget, crataegus monogyna can have different shaped leaves on one and the same tree, ie leaves with 5 lobes, leaves with 3 lobes, leaves that are more incised than others, smaller, bigger leaves.. its the same with haws in nature, take a look when you're hiking.

I trust my gut on this and really think your hawthorn suffered a cold too early in the season ;-) that is, late frost. It takes a while to form new healthy shoots and leaves then.

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 am

Yves, you're probably right. Hawthorn is doing very well this season, no sign of weakness. Will protect it from wind for the winter. You can actualy see this tree HERE

Thanks

Marcin

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down