Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First attempt at carving and Tanuki

+3
mike page
Billy M. Rhodes
BrianG
7 posters

Go down

First attempt at carving and Tanuki Empty First attempt at carving and Tanuki

Post  BrianG Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Here in the south we seem to have a shortage of interesting deadwood. Our low lands and swamps aren't really conducive to create bends and twists. So I thought I would try and carve something interesting out of a piece of juniper and try my first Tanuki.

First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000250
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000256
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000372
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000373
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000374
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000375

I used a small shimpaku to mate with the deadwood.
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000536
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000539
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000540

For scale next to a 16oz. water bottle.
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000541
BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

First attempt at carving and Tanuki Empty Re: First attempt at carving and Tanuki

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Interesting, I am not sure how "natural" it looks.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

First attempt at carving and Tanuki Empty Re: First attempt at carving and Tanuki

Post  mike page Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Good carving job!
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Looks cool what did you carve with?
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianG Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:23 pm

mike page wrote:Good carving job!
Thanks Mike

giga wrote:Looks cool what did you carve with?
Thanks, I used a dremel tool mostly.
BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

Post  Katoom Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:13 am

Mad skills in carving.

Katoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Good carving Brian. I just wish that the foliage and branch movement would follow and the fluid design of the deadwood in the future.

If it were mine I would carve the deadwood deep enough and press the live trunk in then wrap it with tape. when the trunk gets thick enough it would tighten its grip on the deadwood and it would look as if it is naturally part of the deadwood.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Brian,
I like your carving. How long did it take you carve this piece?
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

First attempt at carving and Tanuki Empty re my first attempt at carving and tanuki

Post  john5555leonard Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:21 am

for your first attempt at carving thats a fantastic job, but jun is right the two don't go together. Try what Jun's suggested and make more of a visible live vein. If you ever get your hands on some good material you are going to be awesome. Regards John

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianG Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:48 am

Katoom wrote:Mad skills in carving.
Thanks bud!

jun wrote:Good carving Brian. I just wish that the foliage and branch movement would follow and the fluid design of the deadwood in the future.

If it were mine I would carve the deadwood deep enough and press the live trunk in then wrap it with tape. when the trunk gets thick enough it would tighten its grip on the deadwood and it would look as if it is naturally part of the deadwood.

regards,
jun Smile
Hi Jun, Thanks for your kind words, I didn't post the a pic of it but I did carve a channel. I carefully removed the bark that contacts inside the channel. I then used clear gorilla glue and zip ties to anchor.

First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000522
First attempt at carving and Tanuki P1000523

by Todd Ellis wrote:Brian,
I like your carving. How long did it take you carve this piece?
Todd
Thanks Todd I have around 2 hours into it.

john5555leonard wrote:for your first attempt at carving thats a fantastic job, but jun is right the two don't go together. Try what Jun's suggested and make more of a visible live vein. If you ever get your hands on some good material you are going to be awesome. Regards John
Thank you John, I appreciate your compliment. I'm hoping with time it becomes more visible.
BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

First attempt at carving and Tanuki Empty first attempt at carving and tanuki

Post  john5555leonard Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:08 am

hi brian , you could always add a second tree !!! just a thought, you could fit it along the lower edge of the driftwood, and bring it down as a semi cascade so it does not hide the carving . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down