Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution

+19
cpt.
Dan W.
law
lennard
Neli
vanxeng
Floris
leatherback
giufo
Todd Ellis
Sakaki
bonsaisr
memet
luciano benyakob
coh
Jerry Meislik
Billy M. Rhodes
my nellie
cram
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution - Page 2 Empty Re: ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution

Post  Guest Sun May 27, 2012 2:39 am

Very nice Cram! the roots are holding well.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution - Page 2 Empty Re: ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution

Post  cram Sun May 27, 2012 6:38 am

thanks luciano and jun Wink

what does mean your flag - avatar luciano?
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun May 27, 2012 3:08 pm

I really like the way this is developing and can't wait to see it with the strap removed. This would be good for the progressions forum.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sun May 27, 2012 5:35 pm

thanks sunny
actually..i am really surprise of the work of nature on the roots
i just put it on the rock and dispatched the roots around ...
to be honnest..i think ficus is really easy for this(especially carica)...could surely be harder with another type of plant

i also sometimes think maybe i was lucky with it Razz

cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun May 27, 2012 8:49 pm

cram wrote: ... ... to be honnest..i think ficus is really easy for this (especially carica)...could surely be harder with another type of plant
i also sometimes think maybe i was lucky with it Razz
Dear Cram,
I am convinced that it's just this exact species which is so EASY!

I have made two hard wood cuttings during the last January and they are thriving! I have already repotted them (because both were put in plain perlite) and the mass of rootlets was amazing!
I have planted one of the two cuttings upside down (for reasons of tapering) and it did gave a new shoot. However, this one was much slower to emerge its new shoot compared to the other cutting.
Well, now I know what is my next step with my fig tree cutting. Root over rock!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Mon May 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Dear Cram,This s the flag of state where i born in Brazil.
Ta star s because im Jew.
Shalom.
luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon May 28, 2012 6:53 pm

thank you luciano
i didn t know this flag ..that s why i asked this...symbolics details are always strange and interesting
the sun the rainbow and the sheeper s star...sounds good...which state is it?

yes my nellie...we are agree ...it is a good species for rooting on rocks
the only problem is to find the good variety who keep the initial shape of the leaves after reduction
most of caricas ...loose some "harms" of the leaves ...even until become round...and ugly

and it grows very fast....
it is impossible to let it alone...like milk on fire
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue May 29, 2012 7:41 am

cram wrote: ... ... the only problem is to find the good variety who keep the initial shape of the leaves after reduction
most of caricas ...loose some "harms" of the leaves ...even until become round...and ugly... ...
That is a very interesting observation you have made, Cram!
And I suspect that most of us are not aware of.
Thank you for sharing!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 pm

It is the flag of the state of Pernambuco, where is the first synagogue of the Americas.
be located at Nordeste region of Brazil.
Shalom Luciano.
luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution - Page 2 Empty Ficus carica

Post  bonsaisr Tue May 29, 2012 9:05 pm

There's a historic fig I didn't know about.
<<Congregation Shearith Israel, the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue in the City of New York, was founded in 1654, the first Jewish congregation to be established in North America.>>
The one in Recife beat them by 14 years.

Cram, does your little fig bonsai smell like you forgot to clean the cat's litter pan when the sun shines on it?
I'm not surprised that it does well as root-over-rock. Look at some of the pictures of roots of tropical figs. There are bridges in India made from nothing but braided roots of live fig trees.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Tue May 29, 2012 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add another comment.)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Wed May 30, 2012 6:47 am

thank s luciano...i know now Wink

well ..no.... bonsair..i don t find the fig tree is so stinky
i have this with buxus in bloom...exactly the smell of cat pee Suspect

you are right about these stunnig bridges....i love them
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution - Page 2 68233810[/img]
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution - Page 2 500x_b10[/img]

but...99 per cent of humidity in the air...
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed May 30, 2012 4:24 pm

The reason I asked about the smell, in some countries, especially the US, there is a nitrogen-fixing one-celled organism that lives inside the leaves. In exchange for a home, I guess it helps feed the tree. This is what causes the smell. It has also been reported from Florida. On the other hand, someone who visited Israel swore he never found it there. It is only found in F. carica, no other figs.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Wed May 30, 2012 8:28 pm

bonsaisr wrote:The reason I asked about the smell, in some countries, especially the US, there is a nitrogen-fixing one-celled organism that lives inside the leaves. In exchange for a home, I guess it helps feed the tree. This is what causes the smell. It has also been reported from Florida. On the other hand, someone who visited Israel swore he never found it there. It is only found in F. carica, no other figs.
Iris

Hi Iris,

Your input about smell attached my interest as none of these trees in Turkey smells like that. I also heard this issue for the first time. Smile
I also have 2 fig. carica trees, & they also dont smell like that Smile
Could you please give some information about that one-celled organism? it really draws my interest Smile

Thanks
Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed May 30, 2012 10:25 pm

As I said, the fig's nitrogen fixing bacteria only occur in certain locations. I couldn't find any more information. It used to be called a blue-green alga, & now it is a monera. That's all I know.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 am

As far as I know, I have never heard of such a "stinky" ficus carica in Greece. I repeat: in my knowledge up to now...
Interesting! This is the first time I hear about this.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  memet Thu May 31, 2012 9:23 am

my nellie wrote:As far as I know, I have never heard of such a "stinky" ficus carica in Greece. I repeat: in my knowledge up to now...
Interesting! This is the first time I hear about this.

I have never heard in Turkiye too.
memet
memet

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu May 31, 2012 3:33 pm

Interesting. This phenomenon is called mutualism. It is not symbiosis, because the fig tree lives happily without it. Apparently, this particular organism originally lived only in North America, and when people brought over fig trees, they found each other.
This happens frequently with alien weeds. With their new-found mycorrhiza or nodule bacterium, they become more invasive. Ficus carica is an invasive weed in the South.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Thu May 31, 2012 4:20 pm

Really interesting...
However, as we are sure that this is not the case for Cram's tree, and trees in Turkiye and also Greece (as confirmed by Alexandra), it should be specific to North America!?

Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  memet Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:12 pm

I asked agricultural engineer in here. Nobody now that.
memet
memet

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:52 am

Hello cram!
I come back to this thread for asking some questions.
During this last year I have noticed that my cuttings do not respond very well regarding back budding.
All the cut branches have sprouted new shoots from the bud at the very end of the branch. No new shoots back on the branch!

Which is your experience?
Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:23 pm

Cram,
I love your fig and pot combination! Thank you for showing its evolution.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:33 pm

@my nellie
the technic i use is to let the terminals sprout of the branche be openned
as soon as you start too see some fresh green new stem...you cut only the terminal sprout in a first time
in the next 15 days you will get back budding ...at this time you decide the ones you want to keep

on ficus it works very well Wink

this tree is still in winter protection...i will post some news as soon the work of this spring is done
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  luciano benyakob Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:36 am

A lesson of shape.
Shabbat Shalom Luciano.
luciano benyakob
luciano benyakob

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:29 pm

up
repoted without tape^^
and before i put some moss on the roots to acclimate them slowly to air
[img]ficus carica on stone...3 years of evolution - Page 2 P1110012[/img]
next step..wire again
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next