Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chinese elm cutting

3 posters

Go down

chinese elm cutting Empty chinese elm cutting

Post  sixhunter Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:08 pm

hi lets say i did a roughly 1cm thick small elm branch cutting, do u think it will root?(if so, roughly how long will it take?) currently im plonking it in moist soil and covered the whole thing up in a clear transparent ziplock bag with an airful of my breath in it lol Razz
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

chinese elm cutting Empty Re: chinese elm cutting

Post  JimLewis Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:33 pm

I'd skip the bag. You're more likely to parboil it than not.

You will have roots by the end of summer or before, but that doesn't mean you should move it. I ALWAYS wait a full year.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:59 am

well its been mroe or less a week i guess, and i've removed the bag. Today i noticed some leaves turning yellowing and a few dropped off, most majority are still green and nice, its not gone case yet right ? High chances of rooting ?
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:26 am

Just make sure it doesn't dry out. If it isn't shaded, try to rig something that will give it partial shade. Leave it a month or so and you should know for certain. I wouldn't dig it up until next spring though.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:13 am

kev: im leaving it windowsil ? so it gets only 1-2hrs of direct sunlight in the morning/evening, and rest of day bright light, so far im using a clear plastic container so i can see if it roots, and i only add couple teaspoonfuls of water every 1-2days to make sure the soil is moist, do elm cuttings root easily ? i haven got any striked before cos its my 1st time, but i had a few strikings with wrightia religiosa though.
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:32 pm

Yes, elms root very easily -- but NOT as easily on a windowsill. It should be outside getting UV light. Don't measure out your water. Test the soil. A chopstick jammed in the soil works. Remove it daily, feel the dirty end. If dry water.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down