Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blue spruce-advice needed

2 posters

Go down

blue spruce-advice needed Empty blue spruce-advice needed

Post  Boomer145 Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:30 pm

This blue spruce is not in an ideal spot in my yard...it is 35 inches tall (no bend in trunk) and a diameter of almost 2 inches. I know spruce can be a bit finicky but I have a few years to work with! Thought I would chop leader down to 15 inches perhaps (in spring) and work on opening up tree to encourage inner growth in following year. I had something in mind like Vance Wood did....essentially formal upright. or could deadwood top....

Please offer your advice. I am very new at this and have begun preparing 15 or so trees (access to trees is not a problem here in Canada!) but still struggle with the "vision", especially when it comes to conifers and evergreens. Zone 4 here...
[img]blue spruce-advice needed Blue_spruce1[/img][img]blue spruce-advice needed Blue_spruce_2[/img]

thanks, appreciate the help!
Jon

Boomer145

Back to top Go down

blue spruce-advice needed Empty Re: blue spruce-advice needed

Post  AlainK Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Boomer145 Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks Alain, this is helpful. I had read this a few days before but just did again...seems like opinions are mixed. My climate is much harsher than yours so perhaps I will have a go at it and hey at the very least it is excellent training for me. If I had a Walter Pall like specimen....wow. I did find an Eastern White Pine like this however (another one of those species that have mixed records as bonsai but wait to you see it!) high up in the Canadian Shield that I will show once I collect it in spring.
cheers
Jon

Boomer145

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down