Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum

+4
JimLewis
chris
fiona
Rob C
8 posters

Go down

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Empty New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum

Post  Rob C Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Hello everyone.. My name is Rob and since I'm new to the forum, I'd thought I'd post my latest project. I picked up this mugo pine rough stock material because I thought it had some nice potential. I styled it over the course of 2 days. The first pic is the tree as purchased. Pics 2 and 3 right after styling. Pic 4 is a virt of the rock pot that I hope to put the tree in in about 2 years.

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Pictures20091

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Pictures20331

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum M21

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Copy20of20Copy20of20pictures2200331

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Empty Re: New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum

Post  fiona Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.

Looks to me as if you're off and running with your mugo. The pot is good, but have you thought of something more moon shaped?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Empty Re: New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum

Post  chris Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi Rob.

Nice bit of kit and a very tidy result

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Hello and thank you fiona.. Do you mean more moon shaped that the crescent moon rock pot in the virt?.. It is actually not as deep as it appears. The side walls were built up with clay on that particular pot. Very Happy

Thank you Chris.. It is the tree that should get the credit. It was very rough material.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Welcome. Nice tree and nice work!

I'd rather see something more square and solid under that hefty trunk. But that's just me.

As a newcomer here (but not, obviously, to bonsai) how about a bit of biographical material?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi again Rob. I was thinking something more like this. I'm not saying this is the best you could get but it was all I had kicking around the greenhouse with which to do a virt.

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Rob_111

or a bit more rounded:

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Rob_210

Just my opinion of course.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 pm

Hello Jim.. Yes, I suppose I should have said some things about myself. I have been involved with bonsai for about 12 years or so. However, I have only been studying and doing it relatively seriously for the last 6 years. I feel like I missed out on so much during the first 5-6 years. Anyway, I have a couple of great teachers who I study with. I love looking at all bonsai.. All bonsai... recently styled, non specimen, specimen.. It doesn't matter... I love all of it.

Hello fiona... I really like both your virts.. In fact, I cannot decide which one I like better. The pot I used in the virt was the pot that my San Jose Juniper is in. I basically took out the San Jose and added the pine. I like both your virt pots better than the one I used in my virt.. Very Happy .. Thank you for posting them.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:51 pm

p.s. I think the virt might have made the base of this tree look a little thicker than it is. If it is a bit thicker in the virt, it is only very slight... The tree does have a great base.

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:27 am

Hi Rob,
Very nice tree. I like Fiona's virts better as well. I tend to favor the virt with the curved tip curving towards the tree best.
Todd Very Happy
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:14 am

Some great posting going on here and a good start to this tree. However..... Rolling Eyes
Are you sure this is Mugo? The twigs look too fine and the bark doesn't lok like Mugo to me. Sylvestris maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:54 am

Hi Rob.
nice little tree, I'll go with Fiona's second virt. IMHO, it enhances the tree's character.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:10 am

Rob C wrote:I have been involved with bonsai for about 12 years or so. However, I have only been studying and doing it relatively seriously for the last 6 years. I feel like I missed out on so much during the first 5-6 years. Anyway, I have a couple of great teachers who I study with. I love looking at all bonsai.. All bonsai... recently styled, non specimen, specimen.. It doesn't matter... I love all of it.

I am sure that most of the members here can empathise with you on this comment. I missed out on the first Ten years due to narrow minded folk who were closed to new ideas. I am glad you have found some good teachers And the very good work on the pine shows the results... Welcome to IBC cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  ShohinDude Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:40 am

fiona wrote:
New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Rob_210
This would look great. Top of the pot would amplify the movement of the tree beautifully.

I'd also question the species identification. Bark says sylvestris, needles...I do not know. Suspect

ShohinDude

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone... I also agree with the pot choice. It really complements the tree well. As far as the variety.. I believe it was a tree that came from California. The old was still on there when I bought it at the nursery I go to. The tag said Swiss Mountain pine or Mugo pine. I thought that the needles looked somewhat different that the mugos I have seen in the past.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but I can highly recommend potter Dale Cochoy out of Ohio. He made this, and am sure he could set you up with something beautiful. He does some amazing things with glazes. Click on pic to enlarge.

New Shohin mugo styling and new to the forum Th_pics087
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Although I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to pots, I do like Dale's work and have a number of his pots.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down