Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young Spruce "restyling"

4 posters

Go down

Young Spruce "restyling" Empty Young Spruce "restyling"

Post  Storm Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Heres my little spruce I bought a couple of years ago. It was a dense bush and some might remember I posted it. Dont think I had any images from right after I got it.
After my first restyling 2009:
Young Spruce "restyling" Conife10

August 2010:
Young Spruce "restyling" Dsc_0610

Before today's haircut:
Young Spruce "restyling" Dsc_0413

After:
Young Spruce "restyling" Dsc_0414

Young Spruce "restyling" Dsc_0415

Not sure what should be the front yet. In a year or two, Ill let it get a new pot.
Im quite pleased with the result so far, just let it grow out a bit. On the picture it seems like too much wire and branches, but I dont feel it does it any justice. Keeps me thinking how good the top game trees look in real life.
Criticism is mostly accepted!

Sincerely
Storm
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Young Spruce "restyling" Empty Re: Young Spruce "restyling"

Post  Jesse Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:56 pm

My first and very novice reaction is that the two main branches are too close together at the moment to keep them both. My feeling is that they need to be separated more or one of them removed. I still find it a pleasing tree, but I feel that to make the most of it that would be a necessary long-term step. I feel it might also help a bit in time with the hint of reverse taper...I'm a bonsai noob though just trying to learn so others may feel quite a bit differently.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi Jesse, I was thinking about the same thing, and I will probably make a bigger space between them in the future. Also, I think I should remove more branches and one at the bottom so I dont get an even more inversed taper. But I will leave it to this for the moment so it gets time to recover.
Thanks for your reply Wink
Edit:
I also am thinking of making one of the "trunks" higher than the other in the future so they wont be almost evenly long.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Hello Storm. If you are considering keeping the two trunks long term, you should reduce the thinner one in height. It looks like the bottom branches are getting weak too. Do you pinch or twist the new growth?

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:18 pm

I've just removed some buds from the branches that were placed at bad positions. The lower branches didn't get that many new buds this year, thats why I took away the strongest areas on the tree, and shortened most branches at the top. Hoping for more backbudding and stronger lower branches. The new top growth was mostly at the upper 4 branches.
Im planning to shorten then thinner trunk, and if I get some good backbudding, shortening several branches more for a more "struggling" look.
This is just the first step on the new way, and wanted to hear what you think of it so far Wink Its not an old tree and haven't had much time in a pot.

Storm
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Sounds like a plan. I agree with losing the branches near the junction of the two trunks to help avoid reverse taper. Keep us updated. I think it's great to see the development from where you started.

I can just make out what would seem to be a beautiful setting behind your tree. Looks like you have a great view from your deck.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Loke Emil Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi Storm

I like what you do with this spruce...I know it has a long way to go before 'finished'. But I'm surprised that you've managed to give the spruce some character allready. ;-)

best regards from

Loke Emil
Loke Emil
Loke Emil

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 am

Thank you for great and friendly replies!
Im thinking of getting some moss now for the top dressing. It was originaly planted in 100% cat litter, but even if I watered 3 times a day, the sun would make it bone dry. So I put on some gardensoil on the top to make some more water retention since its so shallow. Im hoping to have it in the pot for some years so it can make a good rootcarpet for future repotting. Not so fun when I have to tie it like a sailer into the pot to make it stand. Its for training at the moment, so its way to wide for the tree.
Im just worried about my bonsai mix, since the talk some members had about the water retention. Most natives have been in 100% cat litter and made it fine through winter, but when its so darned cold, theres hard to know what to do. Atleast I know the trees get fast root growth at most occations.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Young Spruce "restyling" Empty Young Spruce "restyling"

Post  creekfield Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:37 am

Great! I am looking for this, because I have some of that tree but still do not know how to do with them.

creekfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down