Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill

+4
RichLewis
giomach
fiona
ogie
8 posters

Go down

The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Empty The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Creating deadwood using a blowtorch!

The Yew tree had been stripped and the wood dry for over two years, I was surprised how hard it was to actually 'burn' the wood and smooth out the rough breaks etc. I protected the foliage with a wet towel and continually wet it during the process. The colour will improve over the years... for now it has had only one coat of Lime sulphur.

how it looked when I started:
The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Deadwo10

The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Deadwo11

Using a Chefs blow torch, then whilst it is hot I use a brass wire brush to remove the burnt wood

The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Deadwo12

As you can see the wood is quite black
The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Deadwo13

The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Deadwo14

The finished result:
The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Deadwo15

The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Deadwo16

Back to top Go down

The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Empty Re: The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill

Post  ogie Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Nicely done Tony,Thanks for sharing,we keep on learning
Regards,
Alex Smile
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill Empty Re: The Deadwood stage is coming on over the hill

Post  fiona Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Well, whip crack away!!!

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:25 pm

fiona wrote:Well, whip crack away!!!

Fiona... get yur gun Dance

Back to top Go down

Post  giomach Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Chefs blow torch? is this Heston Blumenthal.. the other way round, or something? Rolling Eyes

giomach

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 pm

giomach wrote:Chefs blow torch? is this Heston Blumenthal.. the other way round, or something? Rolling Eyes
No... its Willy Ekerslike Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:20 pm

tony wrote:
fiona wrote:Well, whip crack away!!!

Fiona... get yur gun Dance

A calamitous mix-up of musicals there. Lacks the woman's touch I reckon.

Fiona/Jane/Annie - TYP
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:13 am

Great work Tony. You not using the sandblasting method anymore?

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:56 am

Tony, would you generally recommend drying out deadwood before working on it?

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:58 am

will baddeley wrote:Great work Tony. You not using the sandblasting method anymore?

Hi Will I use sandblasting on BIGGER projects... prepping the tree is laborious when blasting.

Rich, depends on the effect I want... with wet wood I ribbon strip then I like to let the wood dry out then burn.

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:09 am

Looking great Tony.
On the sandblasting theme, have you ever looked into using a hand-held type blaster, as this is something I have considered but have no ideas on the ideal spec for compressor, grain size, etc.?

Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 am

Hi Tony...very nice result....I like your new avatar Smile

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DangerousBry Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Justin Hervey wrote:Looking great Tony.
On the sandblasting theme, have you ever looked into using a hand-held type blaster, as this is something I have considered but have no ideas on the ideal spec for compressor, grain size, etc.?

I reckon a 25ltr air compressor with an Long nozzle paint spraying canister would do the trick for small sand blasting work. It would allow you to control the the spray easily. That would be my plan. Using silver sand or silica sand, which comes in big bags for around £4. Again you would have to test it, depending on what level of depth you wanted 'carve'
Untested by myself as yet mind, but I plan to get hold of a spray nozzle and give it a try....

Bry
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:25 am

tony wrote:

Rich, depends on the effect I want... with wet wood I ribbon strip then I like to let the wood dry out then burn.

ThumbsUp

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:14 am

Will,
Here is a link to a site for sandblasting equipment more suitable for smaller trees and its somewhere near to Geoff's as well.

In relation to Western musicals I was thinking of "I talk to the trees" from Paint your Wagon Wink

Doh!
Forgot to add the link!
www.everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/Sandblasting.html

Last edited by Dave Martin on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : old age short term memory loss)
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:00 pm

nice work!!
time and weather changes will only make it better

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down