Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wisteria # 2

+7
Tom Simonyi
tiennavi
xuan le
sunip
Storm
Todd Ellis
JimLewis
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wisteria # 2 Empty Wisteria # 2

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:10 pm

This one is from a cutting struck in 1993. Originally, I laid the cutting on its side. Pic 1 is from 2001.

Wisteria # 2 200110

Pics 2 and 3 are today. I set the cutting upright and made a semi-cascade out of it.

Wisteria # 2 4-11a10

You can see the trunk a bit better in this odd angle.

Wisteria # 2 4-11b10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Wisteria # 2 Empty Re: Wisteria # 2

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:38 pm

I love your tree. The textured pot is a great compliment. They go well together. Placement of tree in the pot creates tension IMHO; that may be your intention however. I wish she sat on my bench!
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Jim,
the tree looks beautiful, but the extra two apexes of flowers are ruining the lovely cluster of cascading flowers.

regards,
jun

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Very nice Jim. I feel it should maybe be planted a bit more to the right in the top. It feels a tad bit out of balance, to me.
Do you plan to let the upper branches grow out a bit, so they would hang more too?
Thanks for sharing!
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Jim.
Lovely sight.
June is right about that apex i feel, but i would not cut of or bend it down right now of cours.
The pot curb's somehow the poetry of the tree.
But that's just my sensitivity and should only taken in account when one wants to stretch the borders.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Storm wrote:Very nice Jim. I feel it should maybe be planted a bit more to the right in the top. It feels a tad bit out of balance, to me.
Do you plan to let the upper branches grow out a bit, so they would hang more too?
Thanks for sharing!

Nah. Those upward pointing branches will disappear -- never to be seen again -- as soon as it is finished blooming. Those are last year's growth, and wisteria grow where THEY want to grow and there's not much you can do about it except with the clippers.

As for the balance, that's in the eye of the beholder, I guess. Maybe it's Todd's "tension."

The pot is one of my favorites, made by someone who's now gone; I have another -- larger one -- that matches it, but I haven't found the right tree for it yet.

Thanks, all for the comments.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:50 pm

What kind of fertilizer do you use for it Jim?

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:13 am

xuan le wrote:What kind of fertilizer do you use for it Jim?

Xuan

Just a standard balanced houseplant fertilizer -- but very little of it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  tiennavi Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:16 am

hi Jimlewis!
your wisteria is so beautiful! i like it much!
i'm wonder that this kind of tree can live in South of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City or not ? Because i like its flower!
thanks a lot!Very Happy 
tiennavi
tiennavi

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks for your comment. Wisteria should thrive in your area.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Lovely, Jim....thanks for sharing...I always enjoy seeing your Wisteria's. This one is very nice.

Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Tona Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi Jim,
Thanks for sharing. Beautiful tree. I found an old potted wisteria but have no experience with them. I have a couple basic questions. How well do the roots reduce? How much and what season do you reduce foliage?
Thanks,
Tona
Tona
Tona

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:56 pm

I had to dig one up recently as it was taking over at my Mum's property. I found out that they take root reduction really well. This one was chopped out of the ground with a sharp spade with seven or eight 2" thick roots cut through and VERY little remaining fibrous root. I thought that it would probably die, but stuck it in as small a pot as it would fit into. I kept it constantly wet and within a couple of months it was flowering! I still thought that it was probably just living off reserves stored in the trunk, but after flowering it grew like a weed and I've had to cut off 2M long extension growths this week.

With Wisteria I usually trim all long whippy growths a couple of times during the growing season and then reduce everything that has grown longer than two internodes after the foliage has dropped at the end of the year.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "roots reduce." They seldom bloom if they are not totally potbound.

As far as foliage goes, wisteria are not good foliage bonsai unless you want to devote several minutes a day to the plant, and even then . . . . Summer foliage is wild and unruly; it can grow a foot in a day. I usually take hedge shears to them several times a month just to let them sit on my back benches.

Everyone does realize that this is an OLD thread? Wisteria bloom in March - April around here -- sometimes earlier.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Wisteria # 2 Empty WYSTERIA

Post  abcd Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Hello : presentation rules: the top of kusamono not exceed the top of the table, the legs of the pots are too big, beautiful tree

Wisteria # 2 <a href=Wisteria # 2 Wyster10" />
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:36 pm

I guess we have different rules. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  tiennavi Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:26 am

thanks Lewis! but in Vietnam, i can not find seed of wisteria and very little this kind of tree is very expensive!
i want to make a bonsai from seed! i want to buy seeds but noway!
thanks!
tiennavi
tiennavi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:06 am

tiennavi wrote:thanks Lewis! but in Vietnam, i can not find seed of wisteria and very little this kind of tree is very expensive!
thanks!
I have lots of seed. One good thing of having a nursery, is that kind people always bring us seed.
Send me your address in PM and I will send you some. I can't remember though if they are White, Purple, blue or lavender. Does that matter?

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:58 pm

I feel obliged to warn tiennavi that in warm climates Wisteria are among the most damaging and invasive of plants. It is hard to imagine that it isn't already in Viet Nam, but be very careful in disposing of cuttings and if in 10 or 15 years it decides to bloom that you destroy the seed pods.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:38 pm

O lordy then maybe it isn't such a good idea. I understand the problems of invaders. I myself am a Weed Officer.
I didn't think of that.

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:34 pm

I was just thinking but Wisteria is sinensis... so howcome you can find it in Vietnam?    That is a bit strange isnt't it?
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:45 pm

It seems so to me. I'd think it was there already. Check the edges of roads and forests.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  tiennavi Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:58 am

Andre Beaurain wrote:
tiennavi wrote:thanks Lewis! but in Vietnam, i can not find seed of wisteria and very little this kind of tree is very expensive!
thanks!
I have lots of seed.  One good thing of having a nursery, is that kind people always bring us seed.
Send me your address in PM and I will send you some.  I can't remember though if they are White, Purple, blue or lavender.  Does that matter?

Love and light
oh thanks alot! it doesn't matter the color of its flower!
i've send my address in PM!
once again ,thanks alot and i'm looking forward to seeing that seeds!
tiennavi
tiennavi

Back to top Go down

Post  tiennavi Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:42 am

JimLewis wrote:It seems so to me.  I'd think it was there already.  Check the edges of roads and forests.
yes, JimLewis! i've asked some of my friends, they also like wisteria but don't have any of this kind of tree! And i'll be careful of all above things, and i hope that this kind of tree will bloom after 10 years, i hope that i will see that flower by may bare eyes!
thank JimLewis!
tiennavi
tiennavi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Guys

When it has germinated, leave it in the pot for one year.

It will grow to about 10 to 30cm.

The following spring dig a square hole and replace a third of the soil with compost. Mix it with the soil outside the hole and put in 3 handful of bonemeal. (The bonemeal must be right at the bottom of the hole...its a immovable)

I promise it will flower within 3 to 4 years. I've had some wisterias flowering the following year. Let it grow freely. Dig it up when you have achieved the desired thickness. About 4 to 5 years.

Never dig a round hole...don't skimp on compost and bonemeal.

I have just planted 6 wisterias for a client, (20cm tall) We also constructed a Pergola for it. She was very disappointed at the size of the plants. But she will apologize to me next year. I will tell you guys when they flower.

In colder climates it will take much longer, like Jim said. But Vietnam.......we'll see.

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next