Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

preparing for first time exhibit

+22
kauaibonsai
dexworks
Albert Ward
stavros
ogie
sunip
fiona
Jonny D
stephen clarke
Pavel Slovák
moyogijohn
rexman
Ravi Kiran
Billy M. Rhodes
Mohan
my nellie
Rob Kempinski
Khaimraj Seepersad
JimLewis
Todd Ellis
Ka Pabling
pongsatorn.k
26 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Empty Re: preparing for first time exhibit

Post  Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Mohan,
Thanks!.
The last tree (I think) is number one on my list...so far. but other trees are catching up, while I'm fine tuning them and doing details

regards,
jun Smile

Rex,
Thanks!
...of course you are always welcome. do come any time.
just send me PM.
regards
jun
Smile

John,
thanks!

here is another elm for you...though not included in my possible entry. It came from one of my elm forest, but the tree developed well and decided to replace it with lesser quality tree, I think this tree is better alone.

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Dsc_0020

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Empty Re: preparing for first time exhibit

Post  Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

I think this one (blue bell) can catch up in due time.
I reduced a couple more branches to clear the view and go for '"Savannah acacia" type design.

front...

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Dsc_0021

back before arranging branches...

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Dsc_0110

Is the pot too big? this is just a temporary pot to let the tree recover faster. should I proceed with this size and shape of pot? I was think of a rectangular pot to enhance the masculinity of the design.
regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi Jun ,

You're really nice and interesting trees. I look forward to further developments of your trees.

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Empty second elm

Post  moyogijohn Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:09 pm

JUN,,,Very very nice tree!!! It does look better single...send it on!!!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:38 am

Hey Jun,

The blue bell looks much better now, without the mound. Yes a pot change is certainly required but what I am really happy is that the overall design of the tree is very nice and it gives a very convincing image of the African Acacia style. Not many people have attempted this style but I am glad you did. I too have a tree in training in this style. Hope to share pics sometime when the styling is done.

The elm is very nice too...liked it a lot and your two trunk (semi)cascade is out of the world... no two ways about it. Have fun.... Smile

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Pavel,
thank you.

regards,
jun Smile

John,
thanks again!

regards,
jun Smile

Hello Ravi,

thank you!
I'm glad you like it, defoliated the blue bell today to encourage fresh leaves and to refine further.

I'll post it again when I got the new pot for it. I'm experimenting on new pot...looks like textured clay but not.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi again IBC friends.

This tree is the one in the broken red pot posted above that I styled some weeks ago.

I found this old "not" for bonsai jar from my mother's garden...
Remove the old paint job and revealed an antique looking jar...
preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Dsc_0113

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Dsc_0115

This is a solid marble stool...
preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Dsc_0114

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi again,
update on my "blue bell"...
reduce the shari yesterday, defoliate the tree to refine the branches

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Dsc_0116

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:10 pm

jun wrote:Hi again IBC friends.
... ... ...
I found this old "not" for bonsai jar from my mother's garden...
Remove the old paint job and revealed an antique looking jar...
... ... ...
This is a solid marble stool...
Marble and ceramic....? Rolling Eyes
Also the designs of the two items are way too different.
... I don't know, seems to me that they do not complement each other, Jun.

Last edited by my nellie on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling correction)
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen clarke Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Good luck jun lovely trees got my fingers crossed Very Happy

stephen clarke

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonny D Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi Jun,

I agree with my nellie. They are too differnt and I don't think compliment each other, the tree also apears unstabe to me in this pot. However, I do like the tree and pot seperatley. I wonder if the tree might work better as a semi cascade?

Jonny.

Jonny D

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Jun,

don't hate me for this, but I agree with Alexandra, and for a tree of that quality, perhaps a simple cascade pot ?
Maybe a root for the stand?
Rubber band seems to have stretched too far on this one. scratch
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Actually, I'm not being deliberately controversial here but I'm not so sure he's that far off the mark. One of the best shohin I ever saw was a larch planted in a broken old flower pot which had weathered nicely. Sadly I can find no pictures of it, but its charm was in the simple fact that it looked as if it had happened naturally - the tree had "colonised" the pot in the way that seedlings do.

The difficulty I see with this current set-up of Jun's is that it doesn't look so natural. To me having the pot over on its side and less evenly "broken" would have enhanced it considerably.

One of my splendidly crap virtuals now follows using an older, pre-trimmed version of your tree, Jun:

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Jun_tr11

I'm less certain about the stand but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.

All, of course, merely MVHO. But apart from anything else it might just win the innovation award.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Alexandra and Jhonny,

Hi and thanks!
Balance-This is still a work in progress the foliage and branch arrangement is the balancing tip, though the tree is matured already this is still not an instant "bonsai composition". I will rewire the branch after the tree settled in the pot, usually two weeks.
Harmony- with this composition I preferred contrast rather than monochromatic harmony. rustic old pot against smooth marble texture, but the outline of the pot and the stand formed single outline.
this tree is a very ordinary one in terms of trunk, branching and form...nothing expressive. its worth the try doing something new.

regards,
jun Smile

Khaimraj,

I won't hate you... I will despise you. Evil or Very Mad Laughing Mad
Common! It's me, and in an ordinary/simple cascade pot, oh my god!,,,why? hehehe.
i guess, I'm not posting very often nowadays...you seemed not to know me (my works) anymore.
but thanks for the very common (un-artistic, tasteless,...hehehe again) Idea.

regards,
jun
Smile

Last edited by jun on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Stephen,
thanks!

regards,
jun Smile

Fiona,

Thanks!
very lovely virtual/composition...I love it.
That's my first idea on this composition... but if I cut (then) the pot that low there is no turning back. but now seeing your virtual I am now sure its going to be lovely, I guess I'll proceed with it...the stand can always be replaced any time.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:35 pm

Don't know if it's very clear but the pot is on its side with the cascade part of the tree coming through the broken mouth of the jar.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi Fiona,
I think its in the angle of picture I took.
my problem with this tree before is that the foliage and branch massing is too far off from the base of the tree and jar. and the specie is very unpredictable for redesigning new branches. the trunk is a bit overextended for a semi cascade design. letting it drop lower will make the pot, trunk line and branch/foliage have a more compact look.

regards,
jun

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 pm

Actually Jun.

if you take the time to re-read Alexandra's comment and then mine, you would notice what we are both saying is ------ you can do much better than that.
Don't just throw ceramic and marble together, take your time....................
Simple vase........... and boring shape in low grade marble ???? With high quality tree ???? scratch

If you are trying to be controversial or at least non-traditional, it will require a bit more out of you.

Hence my - if that is all you are going to do, why bother --- put it in a simple cascade pot and do the obvious.

I did warn you a while ago that I would be watching more and saying less. I am working with the standard you set with your earlier presentations.
Will be watching to see how much you can better your present effort.-----------> Style, not fashion.
Stay well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:52 am

ok Khaimraj. Thanks! Wil do the the fashion style for this tree..mix and match the top and pants. Then post it again for the fashion guru to comment on. regards, jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:16 am

Hello Jun. I agree with Fiona. I like the shapes you have created with this planting. From bottom to top it dances. The Marble is too shiny for me though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:37 am

Thank you Will!

it's a new marble. a few days outside and it will blend in.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:49 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote: ... ...
Will be watching to see how much you can better your present effort.-----------> Style, not fashion.
... ...

Go for it, Jun!
Fiona's broken pot and....

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 31257t preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 31226t

Knock Khaimraj off his feet!
Style, Not Fashion!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Empty Preparing for first time exhinit

Post  sunip Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:28 am

jun wrote:Hi again,
update on my "blue bell"...
reduce the shari yesterday, defoliate the tree to refine the branches
preparing for first time exhibit - Page 2 Dsc_0116
regards,
jun Smile
Hello June,
What would the tree look like, when you remove the third left yn (the highest)
and bend the two left branches a bit down?
I feel it would be much more harmonic.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:50 am

Thank you sunip.

i'll look into that possibility...but bending the thick branches of this specie is quite tricky and very sensitive. I already broke two branches of this tree.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:52 am

Dear Alexandra,

thank you!
I made some adjustment already I hope you like it better.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next