Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident Maple front and back views

+5
Sam Ogranaja
Brett Summers
Dave Murphy
JimLewis
moyogijohn
9 posters

Go down

Trident Maple front and back views Empty Trident Maple front and back views

Post  moyogijohn Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:06 pm

This tree came from the man who introduced me to bonsai. He sent it to me around Christmas. The tree is twenty years old and started from a seedling. Comments are welcomed!
Trident Maple front and back views Triden10
Trident Maple front and back views Triden11

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 pm

This one has had no training only been cut back through the years.....take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Trident Maple front and back views Empty Re: Trident Maple front and back views

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:27 pm

You will have trouble with that base, I think, though maybe planting it deeper in the pot will do some good. Otherwise, it's a decent tree.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Overall, not bad. I agree that the roots need work. I would also consider reducing the tree a bit more, as the upper 1/3 of the trunk has little taper. It should be a fun tree to work with. Good luck.

Dave

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Burying the base will solve nothing in the long term. Airlayering is very easy with Tridents and will solve the problem quickly. Airlayer at the widest part of the base.

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Thank You Jim, Dave, Will,,,I know the base of the tree does not look good and will be a problum to fix....he sent the tree almost bare root so i had to get it in a pot really fast..what do you think about branches???just wait and see what pops buds and where??? it is doing good so far green all the way up the trunk...thanks guys for your comments take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:48 pm

Hello John. I wouldn't worry too much about the branches, at least until it has settled in the new pot and regained some vigour. The same goes for the airlayer too. Quicker results from a strong and healthy tree.

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:37 pm

This has got me interested. If this trunk was on a Japanese maple it could be a great trunk. Yet I don't remember seeing any great tridents with a trunk just like this. I only remember short and chunky or elegant and almost straight.

As Will states I reckon a ground/air layer will be the best option for the base. I have been advised the best time is early Summer. Guess that is when the tree is really moving? I like to let the tree grow as wild as possible when doing layers. The base should look real good if it goes well.
I reckon this tree will be alot of fun playing with the style Very Happy

Edit: Just realised Will suggests leaving the air layer for later as well. I am not sure there is any lack of vigor to this tree (there was no mention) but I would not be keen on doing this work in the bonsai pot. I would wait until just before bud burst and pot up agian in a nice deep ordinary nursery pot. Not to big though Wink
Then come early summer you will have a good idea how vigorous the tree is and decide wether to ground/air layer or not.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:47 am

Thank you Will and Brent,,,Maybe it should go in a nursery pot for a season,,that would be the only way to air layer because it is in the largest pot i have...thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:13 am

Hello John and Brett. The reason I mentioned vigour was because it was bare rooted at Christmas time? A big pot is a good idea.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:56 pm

will baddeley wrote:Burying the base will solve nothing in the long term. Airlayering is very easy with Tridents and will solve the problem quickly. Airlayer at the widest part of the base.

I agree with Will. An airlayer at the widest part will make a sweet tree in no time. Smile
Good luck with it and keep us posted
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:16 am

Thank you Sam,,,i will post again in summer if spring ever gets here!!!!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:46 am

I feel your pain, but fear not spring is around the corner. Driving around today I saw many cherries pushing out their flower buds. I can't wait for the next month when cherries all around here start blooming.

Good luck with that tree. My trident is extremely vigorous.
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  tylerwashere Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:53 am

thats a really nice tree. the only problem is that very bottom part. You could probably use a deep pot. Really nice tree though. good luck with it.

tylerwashere

Back to top Go down

Trident Maple front and back views Empty trident maple

Post  moyogijohn Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Thank you Tylerwashere,,for your nice comment..Everyone agrees the base is not good,,i planted the tree in the largest pot i have so i will have to wait to do anything until it gets stronger..i can,t lose this one it came from a special friend.....thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  roberthu526 Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:36 pm

You can try root grafting. It is well practiced in Japan and it is easy to do. From the photo I can see some disturbing roots in the front need to be cut off. You can use them to compensate blank area on the left side in the second photo.
roberthu526
roberthu526

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:27 pm

How is the tree doing? Have you decided on a plan?

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Trident Maple front and back views Empty trident maple

Post  moyogijohn Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 pm

COH,,,, All i did this year was plant the tree a little deeper let the branches grow out and cut them back i am going to see next year if i can get it lower in the pot....thanks for asking take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Trident Maple front and back views Empty root grafting technique ?

Post  shane martin Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:03 pm

roberthu526 wrote:You can try root grafting. It is well practiced in Japan and it is easy to do. From the photo I can see some disturbing roots in the front need to be cut off. You can use them to compensate blank area on the left side in the second photo.
Can you explain this technique robert? I have a number of large tridents whose nebari could be improved with this idea.
shane martin
shane martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down