Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my 2 ficus (ficuses?)

+3
Khaimraj Seepersad
moyogijohn
rexman
7 posters

Go down

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) Empty my 2 ficus (ficuses?)

Post  rexman Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I have these 2 ficus materials and would really love to hear your suggestions on what could be their best looks in the future.

I found this (benjamina, i think) in one of the nurseries north of Manila. The lady said it would have been 3 years on the pot.

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) Mjn4ag

after haggling and paying, they also did initial wiring and resulted in these pictures. I liked how the roots are clasping the rock.

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 241pdsn

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) T7e4b7

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 2s7c7ch

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 9gzh91

these looked like the front scratch

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 15gdsox

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 241pdsn

watcha think? Very Happy

------------------------------------

this one (red, but not sure) I found in a highway 50Km east of Manila being sold by a "bonsai" farmer

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 34945xf

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 24pfond

after 2 months, repotted already as I wanted the roots to be firmed up on the small rock and the rock on the pot.

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 27xhr2f

suggestions? Idea

Thanks all!
rexman
rexman

Back to top Go down

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) Empty Re: my 2 ficus (ficuses?)

Post  Guest Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Dear Rexman

You vere lucky to find theese trees. They will give you a lot of joy in the future.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) Empty my 2 ficus

Post  moyogijohn Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Rexman,,You have found two nice trees!! I Really like the first one...take care John

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  rexman Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:52 am

It has been 4 months since we pruned this tree and have achieved good ramification (I think). One of my problem is the tapering of the branches...and also the leaves are still big...and also I honestly don't know how to shape this tree still Sad

may I ask help?

Thanks.

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 15q68ue

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) Am8txh

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) Ne9oug

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) Vi05g7

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) Zk2wsj

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) Zk2wsj

my 2 ficus (ficuses?) 5e7o00

rexman
rexman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:48 am

Hi Rex.
With this ficus, you can't reduce the size of the leaves. So the the way to make the proportion would be to let the trunk and branches grow bigger to the right proportion with respect to the leaves.

If it were my tree... I'll bring it to jun and he'll help you for free styling the tree. hehehe. just bring long and shallow pot... and soda in can Wink

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:45 am

Rexman,

I am doing a test on a small example of this ficus, and found that if it is well fed for a month and defoliated, then placed in the hot sun for regrowth the leaves come back in much smaller.
Additionally, if you go to VIMEO, and look up the videos of Lyndsay Farr, World of Bonsai 2 - episode 7 or 8 shows a Penjing master with the same trees you have but fairly small leaves and the foliage is very dense. Perhaps your answer is there somewhere.
Also note my hunidty is falling down to 50 % during the day and may reach 45 % eventually.

As to the design, standing back from your effort to where you cannot make out the individual leaves, and all you are seeing is a mass, will help you see the biggest shape and from that you can begin to shape the outline of the trees.
Then you go internally.

Roots "may" be more believable if they are thicker, fewer and follow the rock's natural crevices. Follow the rain as it runs down the rock face and the root will follow where the water erodes.
Best to you.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:39 am

The best way to get smaller leaves on almost any plant is frequent pruning of new growth. When leaves first emerge on new growth they will be smaller, if you tip prune at that point those leaves will not get any bigger, keep this up and you get smaller leaves and helps build taper. Also you can remove about 1/3 of the largest leaves every few weeks.
Wire, this plant will grow quickly with good care and wire will begin to cut into the bark in 30 to 60 days.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:43 am

Tilting the rock will give the design composition more emotion. then stretch the branches outward the edge of the rock or give it a semi cascade design.
The wiring right now doesn't seem to be giving enough help for the branches.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Also, I don't think that's a benjamina. Looks more like a microcarpa to me. Nice tree though.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Rex,

I see a lot of positives.....

1. Both are good trees and you are lucky to get them. I say this because I am trying to grow root on rock, and by the time the roots settle on the rock it would take atleast 2-3 years. You are already there.

2. These are not finished trees.... so you will have fun shaping them, developing the branches, the canopy, and the rest of it.

3. A 6 pack beer and Jun would do wonders to these trees. If Jun is serious about the offer, I think you should take it up.

4. I however disagree with Jun that the leaves can't be reduced in size. I firmly believe that ALL ficus leaves can be reduced. So like what Khaimraj has said, defoliate the plants in the appropriate season and cut the terminal buds when you defoliate. Sure they don't back bud predictably and there will be some dieback but the leaves do reduce in size and when new branches do come where they feel like, you can shape them.

Have fun..... Very Happy

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  rexman Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:34 am

@Khaimraj - thanks for the tips, I looked into the videos but have to scrutinize it further. as for the leaves I plan to defoliate and expose it to the sun right after. see how it goes. on the roots though, it is how the tree developed the system based on, I guess, how we watered everyday.

@Billy - I will try defoliation. I will wire with no leaves for better branch viewing and planning. thanks.

@Ryan - you could be right...

@Ravi - your point number 2 tells me patience...agree!..and yes, I'll try defoliation as mentioned above

finally...

@Jun - defo...see above...tree design on a 6-pack? you're on buddy! I already have your cellphone number, let's set a sched on your garden..or maybe even mine (I'll pick you up and bring you back...the trees are heavy and bulky), where the 6 pack will be very plural. I normally have a cooler beside my trees and sip chilled beer and relax with my trees.

Cheers!

rexman
rexman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 am

rexman wrote:@Khaimraj - thanks for the tips, I looked into the videos but have to scrutinize it further. as for the leaves I plan to defoliate and expose it to the sun right after. see how it goes. on the roots though, it is how the tree developed the system based on, I guess, how we watered everyday.

@Billy - I will try defoliation. I will wire with no leaves for better branch viewing and planning. thanks.

@Ryan - you could be right...

@Ravi - your point number 2 tells me patience...agree!..and yes, I'll try defoliation as mentioned above

finally...

@Jun - defo...see above...tree design on a 6-pack? you're on buddy! I already have your cellphone number, let's set a sched on your garden..or maybe even mine (I'll pick you up and bring you back...the trees are heavy and bulky), where the 6 pack will be very plural. I normally have a cooler beside my trees and sip chilled beer and relax with my trees.

Cheers!

...Just inform me.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:17 pm

I Love ficus over rock and have one myself. What did you wind up doing with this tree?
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down