Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One!

+3
landerloos
Pavel Slovák
Harleyrider
7 posters

Go down

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! Empty My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One!

Post  Harleyrider Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Ok, here's the last of my three newly collected yamadori. Again, it's Cretaegus, but this one is a little bigger than my usual finds. Sorry Tony Evil or Very Mad

Height 23" to tip of tallest trunk, dia at nebari 5 1/2" - 6". Collected rootball 16" x 16"!! Stuffed full of fine feeders.

First, some shots of it before work began.

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1433
My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1432

First job, let's see what Santa brought!

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1435
My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1436
My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1437

As you can see, quite a healthy amount of roots came with this tree. Including a few interlopers from a nearby Ash. A bit of judicious poking about with a chopstick soon had those dealt with though. So, roots combed and de-cluttered, it was time to pot up. Not expecting to find something quite this large, I found myself at a loss as to what to put it in. Yes, I know it's a tad on the gaudy side, but hey.

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1438
My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1439
My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1440
My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1441

Hopefully you can now see the great movement, bark and nebari of this tree.

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1442
My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1443

Detail of deadwood I found after cleaning.

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! 100_1444

So, there you have it. All three trees are now safely wrapped up in my neighbours greenhouse lest we suffer another Winter like last year. I lost every collected tree I had in those frosts and I'm not taking any chances with this crop!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! Empty My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One!

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Wow. Your on a roll now. I can't believe the ammount of root you got there. Was it in a rock pocket?

Back to top Go down

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! Empty Re: My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One!

Post  Harleyrider Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:20 pm

No, Will. It was, would you believe, growing out of the grass embankment at the side of the road! It was about 20 yds from where we parked and about 6ft back and 10ft up. I just wish we'd walked that way before we nearly killed ourselves slippin' an' a slidin' across 45 degree scree slopes and finding nowt!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! Empty Re: My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One!

Post  Pavel Slovák Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Steve ,

Really beautiful trees, this last one is amazing. I wish to grow and be strong and healthy. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks Pavel.

If it survives, maybe this could be the 'special tree' we can work on together?

Are you going to show us the trees you collected with Tony?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi Steve

Still no picture. They are in a greenhouse with Mirek. Because acclimatization. I still wait for the photos, I am superstitious. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:17 pm

I am superstitious

LOL, well Pavel, fingers crossed that all goes well eh?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:23 am

Nice find Steve, with a rootball like that it cant go wrong, unless yeah you forget to water it hehe lol!
Shall I bring my chainsaw next time we meet Wink

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:27 am

Pavel Slovák wrote: I am superstitious.l

I too am superstitious Suspect you can pretty much guarantee that showing a newly collected tree will sign its death warrant. Sad

My exception was Rhiannon! and she LIVES bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:11 pm

Pavel Slovák wrote:Hi Steve

Still no picture. They are in a greenhouse with Mirek. Because acclimatization. I still wait for the photos, I am superstitious. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pavel
Me too even telling someone about them can sign a death warrant!
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One! Empty Re : My new yamadori (part 3) The Big One !

Post  Bob Brunt Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Steve ...That tree is far to big for someone with such a small passage way.( If you will pardon the terminology ). It would look much better in my garden. lol!
Bob Brunt
Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm not in the least superstitious, even after losing all my yamadori last year. I laugh in the face of ill fortune Laughing

Bob. Sorry mate, the only way this tree will ever be in your garden is if I bring it there for a workshop Wink
On the other hand...cross my palm with vast amounts of silver and who knows!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Nice finds Steve (all 3 of them). Fingers crossed they all survive the winter.

Have you got anymore collecting trips planned or have you had enough of scrambling about the hills for this year?

Paul

Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:26 pm

or have you had enough of scrambling about the hills for this year?

Are you mad? That's a physical impossibility, my friend!

I would imagine there's at least 2 -3 more trips in the offing between now and March/April Paul. Plenty of time for you to get out there and do some poking around!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:24 am

Good ones, Steve. Few years and they'll be stunning lil trees.

Regds
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down