Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Only for girls....

+7
Khaimraj Seepersad
Lone
杰遨-jie
JimLewis
PaulH
bonsaisr
my nellie
11 posters

Go down

Only for girls.... Empty Only for girls....

Post  my nellie Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:29 am

How does it come and the number of males is predominate in the Bonsai field? Question
Why males are the overwhelming majority among bonsai artists? Question

Ladies, I believe that there is a lot of work yet to be done in this aspect!

PS: Never mind the title of the thread, gentlemen are wellcome to comment by all means!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Only for girls.... Empty Re: Only for girls....

Post  Guest Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Alexandra,

men (majority) hated to grow orchids and roses but somebody must deal with those plants.... Evil or Very Mad . its literally called "natural selection" male selected bonsai female selected orchids.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:40 pm

seriously- Bonsai was, may i say "invented" during the era in china and japan where the society is basically dominated by males. scholars were males, feudal officials were males, religious priest or monks for that matter were males,Art form were mostly if not at all forbidden for females were practiced by males,, then as part of practicing a higher form of arts on landscape mimicry bonsai came to existence. and for hundreds of years that was basically the story, men dominating everything important to society. then the ancient art form came to our "newly" civilized society, I guess came with it is the male associated aura of the art.
but I think women would basically do well better than men in this art form because of womens natural inclination to details and the inherent meticulous thinking. its just a matter of time before this art would be soon be dominated by female practitioners. hooray! for women pioneer bonsaist like you!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Only for girls.... Empty Girls Only

Post  bonsaisr Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:02 pm

jun wrote:
men (majority) hated to grow orchids and roses but somebody must deal with those plants.... Evil or Very Mad . its literally called "natural selection" male selected bonsai female selected orchids.
regards,
jun
I have news for you. In the days when men were the dominant growers of bonsai in the Orient, they were also the dominant growers of orchids & roses in the Western world. They were also dominant in many other arts. Rosa Bonheur was quite an exception. Women were dominant in the fields of flower gardening and flower arranging. In Japan, kusamono was traditionally a female hobby.
I think Deborah Koreshoff was the first woman member of the Nippon Bonsai Association.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulH Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:23 pm

While there are a lot of women bonsai hobbyists, it does seem there are very few doing bonsai professionally. Only Kathy Shaner comes to mind in the U.S.
Paul
PaulH
PaulH

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Pauline Muth, former ABS Pres. in NY
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  杰遨-jie Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:43 pm

in asia men were the ones who were mastering the arts....its like that with most asian countries...chinese opera(jingju)...calligraphy(shufa)....bonsai(penzai) and gongfu..... music instruments(guzheng,erhu,pipa,guqin)women were just at home and never really did anything other than support their families...much later women started doing the things the men did... penzai was a scholars hobby in ancient china along with playing the guzheng(chinese harp) but now 99% of guzheng players on this earth are female...im one of the 1% male players hahaha.....bonsai is taking a huge switch too....more and more women are getting into it and getting good!better than some men silent ....haha but what this all leads me to say is that--Not a single hobby or art is strictly for men or women..its for the people-- it may seem weird to some that a guy is good at a womans hobby but since its art ist not really weird at all^^ feminine and masculine are yin and yang and its good to keep a steady balance with yin &yang to keep a good energy flowing constantly... therefor it may seem more artistic if a male played a female role in a play Laughing jie~
杰遨-jie
杰遨-jie

Back to top Go down

Post  Lone Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:06 pm

my nellie wrote:How does it come and the number of males is predominate in the Bonsai field? Question
Why males are the overwhelming majority among bonsai artists? Question

Ladies, I believe that there is a lot of work yet to be done in this aspect!

PS: Never mind the title of the thread, gentlemen are wellcome to comment by all means!

I believe that in Denmark it is about 50/50 men and women, in my club "Bonsai Nan Kai" it is so, maybe we women don't exhibit as much as men - maybe we like more to work with our trees one by one.
B.W. Lone
Lone
Lone

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Thank you all and each one of you!
Your thoughts are quite similar to mine.

Let's congratulate Lone and "Bonsai Nan Kai" for this high percentage of women involved and let's hope that something relative is being commencing bonsai-worldwide (sic).
Unfortunately, here in Greece we are still struggling to organize the very first official bonsai club.... nevertheless there are luckily two cell groups existing here.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Alexandra,

Painting is Logical, and so is Bonsai / Penjing, in order to practice one has to become logical. It may be that design is logical, but can evoke an emotional response.

Most of the women in the Bonsai society on this side tend to want to do cute things. They soon become bored with the non flowering trees. Or they bring impossible, but pretty things to work on and then get bored.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  donamitu Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:49 am

In India, men very rarely dabble in bonsai. It is an art dominated by women - Peter Chan discovered this when he visited not long ago. Dare I say that they would give a few of our Western bonsai masters a run for their money? Very Happy

donamitu

Back to top Go down

Only for girls.... Empty ???

Post  Kakejiku Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:21 am

The kana form of calligraphy was called Onna Te, or woman's hand, because it was developed and promoted by women...This was the precursor to today's Kana style and the syllabic alphabet of Hiragana.

So the only native Japanese calligraphy style of writing was developed by women...
Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:53 pm

donamitu wrote: In India, men very rarely dabble in bonsai. It is an art dominated by women - ... ...
Surprisingly interesting!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:59 am

The recent BCI Tour in China had 51 women and 79 men, but the numbers don't mean much since the trip included spouses and significant others not interested in Bonsai and a number of people only interested in stones.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:40 am

Ah, the age-old assumptions.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:15 am

ooops! I forgot the Fiona factor Smile Smile

regards,
jun Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 am

Yes, of course!
But Jun, you have also forgot to wish Fiona on her birthday, too!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:00 am

Im so sorry!

advance? HAPPY BIRTHDAY (next week?) TO THE MOST KIND HEARTED and TALENTED WOMAN OF THE BONSAI WORLD.... IBC's very own Fiona...

may you have have more birthdays to come OUR DEAR FIONA. drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken
FLOWER for you!
Only for girls.... Dsc_0847

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:17 am

my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down