Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reverse Tanuki

3 posters

Go down

Reverse Tanuki Empty Reverse Tanuki

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Following up on another thread with Tanuki, this is the opposite story. This is about a tree that started as Tanuki and ended up as a non-tanuki (if it is a word for it?) Very Happy

In 1998 I started my first experiment grafting a live tree on deadwood, known as Tanuki. The first picture from year 2000, shows the development in the early stages. I was just learning my first bonsai techniques back then, doing bonsai the third year since I started.

Reverse Tanuki Juniperus-foer-snoering-mar

It was later clear to me that my untrained beginners attempt would not succeed being a convincing union between the live tree and the deadwood. I carved the deadwood channel right and the live trunk fitted well. But my expectation that the trunk would expand and become one with the deadwood did not turn out as planned though. The live vein on Junipers does not expand quickly, especially not when planted in a bonsai pot limiting growth.

Also stripping the contact side of the live trunk showed another problem. The callus doesn't expand much on Junipers, actually it decreased in size in stead. Therefore the union between the two objects failed I was later aware of, more experienced and with a challenge of turning the tree into a more convincing bonsai.

Reverse Tanuki DSC01417
2003. Five years after the Tanuki-experiment started.

Reverse Tanuki ALB_1406
2007. The canopy fills out well, but the overall image was not working well. Especially the union between the deadwood and the live vein fails, because it simply doesn't get close contact.

Reverse Tanuki ALB_2059
2009. I decide to separate the deadwood and the live part, and re pot the tree.

Reverse Tanuki 18sep2010-003
2010. The tree before restyling. A lower left branch has already been removed and turned into a unfinished jin, but no deciding styling has been done at this time.

Reverse Tanuki 18sep2010-012
2010. Branches are wired.

Reverse Tanuki 18sep2010-013
2010. Needles are pinched.

Reverse Tanuki 18sep2010-008
2010. Deadwood is worked at by turning branches int jins. This is done to keep branches without leaves, making a lighter appearance of the tree.

Reverse Tanuki 18sep2010-006
2010. Deadwood, shari, is carved further at the trunk.

Reverse Tanuki 18sep2010-005

Reverse Tanuki 18sep2010-016
Autumn 2010. Final restyling is ended. The pot will be considered changed. Height of the tree is 32 cm / 13 inches.

Regards
Morten Albek

Back to top Go down

Reverse Tanuki Empty Re: Reverse Tanuki

Post  shimsuki Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:43 am

Very Nice,
I like the style of the pot that it is in, just not the particular one that it is in currently. I have seen many tanukis, but I think this is the first un-tanuki that I have seen. Good work!

Andrew
shimsuki
shimsuki

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:24 pm

very nice cheers
pongsatorn.k
pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 pm