Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JPN maple leaf tips turning black

4 posters

Go down

JPN maple leaf tips turning black Empty JPN maple leaf tips turning black

Post  nip Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:36 am

I noticed that the tip of some leaves and even some buds are turning black on my maple trees. Tree seems perfectly healthy as it explodes with buds and new leaves in spring. Then before summer, it happens. The same thing has happened two consecutive years and eventually all the leaves wither and fall off. The black tip disintagrates and moves up the leaf, leaving it disfigured and dark brown. Almost as if the black substance is "eating" the leaf. Happened on both my tridents and jpn maples last year. I noticed a simliar thing occurring on one of my friend's maple tree a couple days ago. I drenched it in fungicide today. If it doesnt help, I will be forced to give up on maples. Tree currently gets morning sun and afternoon shade.

Any ideas?

Zone 8b, gulf coast

nip

Back to top Go down

JPN maple leaf tips turning black Empty Re: JPN maple leaf tips turning black

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:42 pm

This is happening NOW?

Are your trees in full sun?

Do you know what cultivar of Acer palmatum you have?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  nip Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Yes, only on one or two leaves so far. I removed them.

Tree currently gets morning unfiltered sun(till around noon) and afternoon shade.

Regular maple . Acer palmatum [small leaf, small seed]

Thanks

nip

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:03 am

Is it windy? I can't think of a fungus that would do this: it sounds more like cold or wind damage.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:58 am

I just read this today and wonder if it could be something similar? How old is your tree?

http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2009/03/very-sad-moment.html
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  nip Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:23 am

Ive also read about Walter's dying maple. My tree is very young and not a deshojo, so i doubt it is the same problem. I dont think the wind would disfigure the leaf, especially so early in the season. I will try to watch the wind just in case. Avg wind is 5-15mph, sometimes stronger. Humidity 70%+ dipping lower on occasion.

nip

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 am

What wind can do is increase transpiration faster than the tree can pump water up the trunk, leading to death of leaf tissue, especially at the tips. If the windy weather occurs in early spring when leaves aren't fully expanded, death of the tips will lead to leaf distortion. Similarly, high salt levels in the soil will inhibit water uptake into roots, so that transpiration occurs faster than water uptake. Maples are susceptible to both of these things, so I always suggest it (I get this question a lot).

Of course, if I were your extension agent, I'd look at the tree and I'd take leaf samples and plate them on selective media to make sure it wasn't a fungal problem. I'd also peek at the roots and make sure they look happy.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  nip Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:35 am

Well since I cant control the wind, I guess I should trash my maple! Plucked off several new leaves turning black today. I thought maybe wind would cause browning of leaves, but obviously not. The weather has been very damp. It rained today for like the 4th time in 10 days yet more sprouts turned black. Perhaps maples are too weak for my yard. All my other trees seem to do well.

nip

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:24 pm

Don't trash them.

If it IS wind damage, just live with it for the spring breezes. Let the leaves harden off. Winds are less in the summertime. Put them in part shade, trim the damaged leaves then, and let new ones grow in and you should be fine for most of the growing season. A couple of defoliations (the blessing of being on the southern coast) and you should have nice fall color.

Enjoy.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down