Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moss maggots?

+3
JimLewis
Billy M. Rhodes
Neil Jaeger
7 posters

Go down

Moss maggots? Empty Moss maggots?

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:41 am

I just bought a San Jose Juniper from a nursery that was in a very high humidity green house. It had moss growing about 2 inches up the trunk. I used an old toothbrush to remove it and kept seeing these little maggot looking things moving rather quickly to hide in another crack or crevice. I than saw another that was a little bigger and sort of looked like a mini pill bug or rolly poley. Does anybody know what these are? Or are they harmful to the plant?
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Moss maggots? Empty Re: Moss maggots?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:19 am

The bugs are probably eating decaying matter not your tree, BUT that much moss says to me, TOO WET.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Yes i just bought it yesterday, and the nursery was way to wet. I was just wondering if now that the moss is gone will the bugs go away? Is this a big problem?
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:11 pm

I'd guess that they will. If the tree has been too wet for a long time, the soil is probably pretty well shot, so it may take some time. But those kinds of critters generally need excess moisture to thrive.

Just let the soil get drier and see what happens. I wouldn't spray anything at this point.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Moss maggots? Empty Moss Maggots

Post  bonsaisr Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:19 pm

I wonder why he didn't have the junipers outside? Since San Jose is pretty hardy, you could take it out of the pot & stick it in the ground over the winter. Use a rose cone.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Thank you very much for the advise. I bought the tree at Hollow Creek NY and while it is a beautiful place, i just think he has WAY to many trees. He works a full time job and has 4 large greenhouses and tables built everywhere. So the tree will need love to get it back to par, but i got a great deal on it. here is some pics.

Here is the san jose, to wet for sure.

Moss maggots? Yankee43

Moss maggots? Yankee42

Moss maggots? Yankee38

Moss maggots? Yankee39

Moss maggots? Yankee40

Moss maggots? Yankee41

Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:12 pm

I think I would remove it from that small pot and plant it in one about twice that size. Wash away some (not all) of the old soil around the roots, then fill in with Tuface or whatever you use for bonsai soil. That'll give it a bit more comfortable recovery.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:25 pm

JimLewis wrote:I think I would remove it from that small pot and plant it in one about twice that size. Wash away some (not all) of the old soil around the roots, then fill in with Tuface or whatever you use for bonsai soil. That'll give it a bit more comfortable recovery.

I would not mess with the roots here in Florida.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:53 pm

Thank you both so much for your replies. The owner at Hollow Creek and my club said to leave it alone for the winter. Then in the spring go at it.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  alexdestin Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:56 am

Maggots make a very effective bait when it is large enough, they are an excellent bait for trout, protect it in case of tin with holes to admit air filled with sounds, where they travel a bit and keep alive a few days.

alexdestin

Back to top Go down

Post  andre Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:58 pm

those guys at hollow creek are good guy i met then at the mid atlantic.

andre

Back to top Go down

Post  dominicjoe Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:49 am

Use good cultural practices are the best way to control fungus gnats. Leaving the ground as dry as possible without harming the plants that you can effectively kill many maggots.

dominicjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down