Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you ever had one of those days....

+4
Morea
GaryWood
fiona
Stone Monkey
8 posters

Go down

Have you ever had one of those days.... Empty Have you ever had one of those days....

Post  Stone Monkey Mon May 10, 2010 9:38 pm

Well I spent the whole day in London at work, thinking of pots, doodling pictures wishing the time away till I could get to work this evening. Wedged all my clay and intended to try something a little different and make some Yunomi, tea bowls. I started to throw of the hump and the first few were sort of ok'ish then it all went pear shaped. It was like I had never touched clay before. Nothing I threw came out right. Ok I thought, forget the tea bowl idea, perhaps the Bonsai pot God was not happy with my tea bowl offering. So I went back to making some bonsai pots. Again I threw a couple then arrggggghhhhh Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad it all went wrong. So I threw the towel in and left my workshop.

Has any other potter had the same experience, would be interesting to know or whether I am suffering some sort of affliction affraid

Regards as ever

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Have you ever had one of those days.... Empty Re: Have you ever had one of those days....

Post  fiona Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm sending you a bottle of Ardbeg - oops sorry, a bottle of medicine - to ease the pain.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Have you ever had one of those days.... Empty Re: Have you ever had one of those days....

Post  GaryWood Tue May 11, 2010 12:14 am

Andy, you have my empathy and sympathy Smile Sh-t happens! been there done that, just put your nose back on the wheel and forget about it, maybe even laugh about it. A good sign your day will turn to sh-t is when the first thing in the morning your finger goes through the toilet paper :twisted:Wood

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue May 11, 2010 5:36 am

Fiona

Just what the doctor ordered drunken

Gary

I have had off days in the past as I have "Not been in the zone" but this was a bad bad day at the office. Hopefully tonight will be better bounce

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 11, 2010 9:14 am

A bad day in the pottery is better than a good day at the office... make the t-shirt Rolling Eyes

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue May 11, 2010 9:37 am

I'd buy one of those tee-shirts. Mebbe we could adapt the slogan to "A bad day at Bonsai etc" and turn a profilt for the IBC.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue May 11, 2010 10:16 am

Tony

I would rather have a god damn aweful day in the pottery than a fantastic day in the office....

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Morea Tue May 11, 2010 11:45 am

Hello dear Andy
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes , i had it too Laughing Laughing

During art school , i learned to wheelthrow.
Sitting, centering by pulling the hump on the wheel and
working the clay upwards with the fingers.

As i went to work in the ceramic factory to specialize in ceramics....
AAAHHH .... i had to throw in a totally different way !!!!!
The producing way , as many pots as possible hour after hour !!
Standing , centering by pushing, working the clay upwards with the hands.
In the beginning , everything went well, had musclepain from neck to heels, but oke.
HHHHAAA, after 1 month i could not even center the hump anymore !!!
EVERY hump "woeshed" from the wheel !!!

At one time i got so angry and threw the humps of clay ( about 5 ) which
were piled up at my wheel to be thrown , ALL around in the factory !!
My master was angry but could not hold his laughing and said :
"You are going to be very good after you put this energy , in concentration on Your wheelthrowing"
After about 2 weeks swearing and grumbling to the clay , i was over it .
Never had problems with wheelthrowing ,
it was as natural to me as fry-ing an egg.
Kind regards
Morea
Morea
Morea

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Tue May 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Morea, that sounds like a miserable job! How long did you do that.

Andy, I have those days also. My worst times are when I'm trying to center/throw a larger piece of clay from supplies that are really much too hard to throw and should just be used for slab stuff. Centering that stuff just wears me out . Finally I'll get it centered and then it's a PIA pushing it out. But, you know all this already.

Re: making teabowls,
I've found, at least here, that it's VERY hard to sell a tea bowl unless you are known for tea bowls ( kinda like selling selling suiseki if you aren't known for that). they are too big, too small, too perfect, too sloppy, etc. etc. I've heard it all. you look at these bowls that guys throw in 20 seconds and they sell like crazy if that is what you are known for.
But, I have found that making tea bowls and then putting a hole in them sells pretty good for bonsai.

D.

Last edited by Dale Cochoy on Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Tue May 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi Andy,

"A bad day in the pottery is better tan a good day in the office"

I order a T-shirt from you thumbs up

Best regards
Peter
peter krebs
peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue May 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Looks like I may have a line in T-Shirts thanks to Mr Tickle Very Happy

Seconds out round 2...
...off to the workshop now and hopefully I will have a good day in the pottery as the day in the office was urrrgggghhhh!

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue May 11, 2010 10:06 pm

There is a God! I had a good night after all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Stone Monkey wrote:There is a God! I had a good night after all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good for you my friend, I need some more monkey pots in the future hehe Wink
Damn I wish i could find a potter here in Denmark, that would give me the change to have a crack at making my own pots.

Kind regards
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Wed May 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi Peter

What about Elsbeth Ludvigson. Is she far from you? I know Denmark is a bit place...

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Wed May 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Stone Monkey wrote:Hi Peter

What about Elsbeth Ludvigson. Is she far from you? I know Denmark is a bit place...

Regards

Andy

Yeah its to far away, have to pay a fair amount to cross the f.... bridge.
I have to find a solution, I really have to try some day, who knows maybe I'am talented hehe lol!
The kids always love my sculptures of animals I make from..... is it called play dough, not hardening stuff.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Thu May 13, 2010 11:47 pm

A late reaction,.....!

Hi! Andy, not only potters have these days,.....creative people or clumsy ones once and a while.....!
Afraid of sending the bill sometimes HAHAHA!

Walk away, drink a pint and forget for a few hours who you wil be tomorrow! Twisted Evil

grtzz m
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down