Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soccer world cup

+3
fiona
Smithy
Jaco Kriek
7 posters

Go down

Soccer world cup Empty Soccer world cup

Post  Jaco Kriek Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:31 am

Is anybody coming to South Africa for the Soccer World Cup in June?
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Soccer world cup Empty Re: Soccer world cup

Post  Smithy Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:59 am

No but i think my wife would rather i did then she wouldn't have to put up with it on the telly everyday. Smile Have you got any tickets.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:23 am

Soccer World Cup? Pah! Grossly over-rated! Who on earth would want to be seen at a second-rate tournament like that? Only for has-been and also-ran teams! No decent team would ever want to go to that!

Yes, you're right. Scotland failed miserably to qualify.

Again. Soccer world cup Kopfschuettel

One day - in a parallel universe perhaps.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm

I thought you all called it "football" and only we here in the colonies called it soccer -- to separate it in our minds from the real football.

As usual, I'm confused. confused

(And rugby, of course, is ice hockey in the mud -- only the terminally violent need apply.)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:24 pm

JimLewis wrote: And rugby, of course, is ice hockey in the mud -- only the terminally violent need apply.
This I like. There's a saying over here that Football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans and Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen. I'm not sure how appropriate this is any more. There's a follow-up that emphasises the accuracy of the football part of the saying though.

The Celtic FC motto is "If you can't get the ball, get the man" while the Rangers FC motto is "If you can't get the man, get the ball"

Says it all really!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:55 pm

JimLewis wrote:I thought you all called it "football" and only we here in the colonies called it soccer -- to separate it in our minds from the real football.

As usual, I'm confused. confused

y.)

Some of us would never dream of calling football 'soccer'.

Why you call a game which you play with mostly your hands is beyond me Rolling Eyes

Don't you also call something a World series and only Americans can play.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:14 pm

I think there's something wrong with our telly. Every time football comes on, it either changes channel or turns itself off. Still, it gives me plenty of time to go and do something more constructive. Like stick needles in my eyes.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:09 pm

We let Canadians play it, too -- and we would let the Japanese play it if it weren't for jet lag -- and the Cubans if it weren't for a certain amount of stupidity dating back many years. The Dominicans all move up here to play it -- and play it well.

We also have a few Australians playing here -- and would invite them, regularly if they didn't play upside down. Razz
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Okay when i said only Americans can play i should have said only American teams compete. We have all sorts of nationalities playing in the English premier league but only English based teams.
Correct me if i am wrong but only American teams compete in it , and all the other world teams are invited to join in but they all refused. Laughing Basketball
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Oooh! Thin ice, Smithy. Very thin ice!
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:37 pm

We wouldn't dream of playing the World Series on ice, thin or otherwise! Laughing

Our balls get too cold! Embarassed
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Harleyrider wrote:Oooh! Thin ice, Smithy. Very thin ice!

I nearly said that when they started the 'World series' Americans probably thought they had included all the world but i wouldn't dare suggest such a thing. I'm too polite for things like that Laughing Twisted Evil
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:51 pm

ACTUALLY, when they started the World Series, no one else was seriously playing baseball. It was decades later before it caught on elswhere. Now EVERYONE want to be Americans! scratch
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote:ACTUALLY, when they started the World Series, no one else was seriously playing baseball. It was decades later before it caught on elswhere. Now EVERYONE want to be Americans! scratch

Oh its baseball i thought we were talking about American football. Very Happy
We were playing rounders here ,you didn't invite us to play in the league. Crying or Very sad
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Smithy wrote:
Jay Gaydosh wrote:ACTUALLY, when they started the World Series, no one else was seriously playing baseball. It was decades later before it caught on elswhere. Now EVERYONE want to be Americans! scratch

Oh its baseball i thought we were talking about American football. Very Happy
We were playing rounders here ,you didn't invite us to play in the league. Crying or Very sad

Sorry, someone mentioned World Series. As for football, it's still primarily American, although during the season some of our teams are going abroad to play. I think they're trying to educate the world about the difference between soccer and football. I doubt if we are having any luck. I think we prefer Europeans for field goal kickers.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Jaco Kriek wrote:Is anybody coming to South Africa for the Soccer World Cup in June?

Personally, everyone in the world using the same cup sounds... so unsanitary!
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:58 am

Jay Gaydosh wrote:

Sorry, someone mentioned World Series. .

I thought this was about American football and forgot it was baseball. Smile

I've been playing a bit of baseball lately ,my boy had a wii for xmas. Smile
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:43 pm

For all our American friends, look in on the world cup in the summer and get a load of the real world series. The greatest show on earth. Soccer world cup Icon_cheers

Ian.

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Ian Warhurst wrote:For all our American friends, look in on the world cup in the summer and get a load of the real world series. The greatest show on earth. Soccer world cup Icon_cheers

Ian.

The Greatest Show on Earth?

I thought that was Barnum & Bailey's Circus! Laughing
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:51 pm

It'll only be the "greatest show on earth" until England get beaten. (Insert cute smile to show it was meant as a joke!)

Now, class, discuss the use of sarcasm in that parenthesised instruction. Soccer world cup Icon_twisted
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down