Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mesh to keep whiteflies away?

4 posters

Go down

mesh to keep whiteflies away? Empty mesh to keep whiteflies away?

Post  Barry M Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 am

Hi,

It seems that every year (starting in September) whiteflies attack my dwarf pomegranate bonsai.  So, these past few years I have been bringing the plant indoors on August 15. This year I've been considering surrounding the plant with mesh having tiny mesh spaces.  The spaces are just 0.6 millimeter wide.  I believe (from my reading) the whiteflies are about 1.5 millimeter in Length but I don't know how WIDE they are. Can they squeeze through the mesh and attack my plant or will they be kept out??  Thank you.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

mesh to keep whiteflies away? Empty Re: mesh to keep whiteflies away?

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 pm

I cant speak to the mesh, but why not try a systemic insecticide, coupled with an insecticidal soap spray ?
(easy DIY recipes on line for the spray)

bringing your pom inside in the middle of August is robbing it of almost 2 months of outdoor happiness !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:42 pm

kevin stoeveken wrote:I cant speak to the mesh, but why not try a systemic insecticide, coupled with an insecticidal soap spray ?
(easy DIY recipes on line for the spray)

bringing your pom inside in the middle of August is robbing it of almost 2 months of outdoor happiness !

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I neglected to say that anything at all toxic would not work for us. My wife insists on that. Regarding your point about losing almost two months of good growing time, I agree that it's a shame.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 pm

DIY insecticidal soap is non toxic...
its just water, dish soap, vegetable oil and rubbing alcohol...

I will try to find and post the recipe
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks Kevin very simple will try ASAP Smile
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Michigander Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:37 am

Use https://www.gardensalive.com/product/pyola-insect-spray-4 spray and soil drench outdoors and indoors to get the grubs that hatch from the eggs the gnats lay.  They emerge from the soil in the pot when you bring it in, so if you fence them out, you are really fencing them in!  Put a small bowl of Dawn dishwasher liquid close to the source of your aggravation.  They love it like mastodons love tar pits.Laughing
Michigander
Michigander

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:00 am

Michigander wrote:Use https://www.gardensalive.com/product/pyola-insect-spray-4 spray and soil drench outdoors and indoors to get the grubs that hatch from the eggs the gnats lay.  They emerge from the soil in the pot when you bring it in, so if you fence them out, you are really fencing them in!  Put a small bowl of Dawn dishwasher liquid close to the source of your aggravation.  They love it like mastodons love tar pits.Laughing

Thank you.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:31 pm

Michigander wrote:Put a small bowl of Dawn dishwasher liquid close to the source of your aggravation.  They love it like mastodons love tar pits.Laughing

Ba-da-BING !!!
Keep those hits coming Dr. Detroit !!! cheers
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Michigander Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:37 pm

Any vessel will do, - bottle caps, etc. (Although your capacity will be reduced. You can only accommodate 100,000 black flies in a Coke bottle cap.) Very Happy
Michigander
Michigander

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down