Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live

+2
Richard S
Vlad
6 posters

Go down

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live Empty A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live

Post  Vlad Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Could not resist to share a pic of a hornbeam that I have spot recently.  It is still quite young tree up to 5m but the sinewy trunk is fascinating.

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live 29112010
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live Empty Re: A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live

Post  Richard S Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:27 pm

Wow, fantastic trunk!

Bet it'll take some digging though Shocked

Good luck with that.

regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live Empty Re: A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:39 pm

i cannot help but think that is numerous trees that for some (unseen at the present) reason have grown together over the course of time...

but considering the openness around it, that seems unlikely without the hand of man or some other outside force... scratch
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Well, I am not collecting trees I am not able to carry on my shoulders.  That makes a limit of 50-60 kilos.   This one is well over the limit. And besides it is the best specimen of this variety I have ever seen - it will stay in peace there Smile

There are few hornbeams in the same area with a similar shape of the trunk. Not that spectacular though.   I think it could be a trait caused by a genetic variation.

Some others:

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live Habr_a11

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live Habr_a12
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:48 pm

And unless they already have branches down low to cut to for the next section of trunk it takes forever to grow the next section from scratch.
I gave up on hornbeam until I find one with low branches.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:26 am

No chance of testing an airlayer or cutting ?
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:56 am

Too much traffic in the area for a decent airlayer Khaimraj.   But it is for sure a good idea to find out a way forward while leaving the tree on the first pic in peace.

I collected a smaller trunk of this variety (let's suppose it is a variety Wink ) two years ago.  It is less dramatic but I think this is something that develops  with age.   As Mike wrote - so far the tree has sent only new terminal while the lower section of the trunk is as bare as a baby's  back.  I have make few threadgrafts there to fix it.  Lets see in couple of years how this goes.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:57 pm

wow !!!
well i stand corrected... those are great !!!

regarding the possibility of doing and air layer and "traffic" in the area, i have found that a hard hat, an orange safety vest and a jangley tool belt will make you practically invisible to passersby Razz Wink

go in, do an air-layer, wrap the ends in orange duct tape, and hang a "do not disturb" sign on it (minus the hotel logo)

and this one may be worth a trunk chop and then wait to see if it spits new branches...
very little effort for possible huge reward ?

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live Habr_a10
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:46 pm

kevin stoeveken wrote:
regarding the possibility of doing and air layer and "traffic" in the area, i have found that a hard hat, an orange safety vest and a jangley tool belt will make you practically invisible to passersby Razz Wink

You sound like a guy with hands on experience Kevin, but you are certainly right pirat Unfortunately the traffic is made not only by people but also by a wild boars that are very curious by their nature. Anyway. I am an yamadori freak so it is clear I have something at home and some others stumps in the preparation. Cool Please bear with me, I promise to share one or two trunks of this variety that I have collected already. Not now, I need to be sure they have made it through the first and second winter. Based on my experience this is the most critical period for larger hornbeams.

Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:09 pm

dynamite !!!

can not wait to see them...
i have been quite impressed with what you have decided to share so far...

(btw - some lively discussion going on over at the blog !)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:02 pm

I adore hornbeams! I have tried (knowing this will be a failure for sure...) with one nursery grown hornbeam but climate conditions are prohibitive in my place.
Vlad wrote:... ... I think it could be a trait caused by a genetic variation.
Nature's "mind" is the most imaginative, Vladimir. Thus most admired!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:49 pm

kevin stoeveken wrote:
can not wait to see them...

So am I Kevin. The "cords" or muscles are in fact live veins that for some reasons proliferated. I wonder how they react on the reduction of their feeder roots... We will see...

Alexandra - this is the main reason why I am "native" oriented. Despite the fact that I have a great respect for the old olive trees and some other species ...
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:00 pm

Another specimen to share.

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live Pict0010

I have collected some seeds.   Lets see how much heritability is behind this feature.    Just 10 - 15 years to wait  Sad

A sinewy hornbeam_Wanted_preferably live Pict0011
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down