Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spirea from the box store

3 posters

Go down

Spirea from the box store Empty Spirea from the box store

Post  brian soldano Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:26 am

Ready for spring. I was going to repot but I did some serious root cutting last spring, and decided another season for recovery and then I'll find a nice shohin pot, or a glazed saucer [url=https://servimg.com/view/18082002/58]Spirea from the box store Img_2018[/url

brian soldano

Back to top Go down

Spirea from the box store Empty Re: Spirea from the box store

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:52 pm

how long have you had that in a pot ?

reason i ask is that i do not have good luck with spireas in a pot for some reason...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  juniper07 Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:19 pm

Spiraeas (similar to potentilla and forsythia) are quite finnicky with root pruning; so unless the roots haven't filled the pot (not to be confused with pot-bound), you did good to leave it alone for this year.

Most novice in the West (i.e me); including the intermediate guys tend to repot far too frequently. I think the western literature (i.e books, internet, etc.) is partly to blame because we are told to repot the younger plants every 1 to 3 years, and older from 5 to 10 years. What we fail to understand is that plants spend a lot of energy populating the pots with roots in the expense of top growth.

So the only time we should ideally repot plants is when the roots have barely compacted the soil. Some people figure it out by poking the soil with a chopstick to see how compact it is, or if the water drainage has slowed a bit over time.
juniper07
juniper07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:10 pm

yeah junnie... that was what i was thinking as i have had similar bad luck with potentilia and thought that might be why...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  brian soldano Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:54 pm

beer city snake wrote:how long have you had that in a pot ?

reason i ask is that i do not have good luck with spireas in a pot for some reason...
this will be its second summer in this pot. They grow roots like a mofo, this still had quite a bit of soil visable, hence not repotting. I like what juniper07 chimed in with, I did not know that so it will definitely be added to my memory bank. Also I use a heavy organic garden soil with chicken grit and pea pebbles as the only additive. Abou a third of each, they seem to love it.

brian soldano

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:57 pm

yeah B - sounds like a good call on the soil...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  brian soldano Sat May 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Mid may update, about another month of in restricted growth and it will be cut back pretty hard to obtain a nice shape similar to where it is now. t[url=https://servimg.com/view/18082002/61]Spirea from the box store Img_2021[/url

brian soldano

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down