Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The plants I almost killed

4 posters

Go down

The plants I almost killed Empty The plants I almost killed

Post  novsai_Koloy Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:40 am

Hi All,
When I had decided to do this hobby I went out and looked for plants I could start with.. WITHOUT doing some research on how to bonsai the proper way.. I got several plants either from seed or plants that already had grown in a pot for a while.. so these are 2 of the plants I almost killed due to ignorance..

P1
The plants I almost killed P111

P2

The plants I almost killed P210

for both P1 and P2.. when I got these plants, I removed a lot of its foliage.. maybe around 80%.. yes.. I was ignorant enough to do so.. Razz put a lot of wires and did almost everything you can think of what a beginner would usually do.. so for now I am just letting it recover and grow bigger to thicken it up.. lucky for me they looked better now than  a year ago.. Maybe I'll have to transfer P1 to a bigger container..
so my questions.....
1.) do you know what their names are? even if I don't know whether they are good bonsai material but I still want to know the names so I can research about the proper way to take care of it.
2.) are they really this slow grower type of a plant..? Because if they're not.. then maybe I need to think of fertilizing it regularly.. currently all my plants are receiving 14-14-14.. I also don't know if that's advisable.. so any advices are NEEDED.. Very Happy
3.) for the foliage.. how to do deal with that..? especially for P1.. that goes flat and usually goes straight up..
4.) next is... hmmm.. I really don't know what to ask.. any inputs for this beginner is greatly appreciated..

Bonus
Plant
The plants I almost killed 20160211

my wife liked this once alot.. I wasn't thinking of making it into a bonsai.. I was just taking care of it.. so do you think I could develop it to be a bonsai..? Of course I also don't know the name.. sorry.. Smile

That's All folks... Thanks
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

The plants I almost killed Empty Re: The plants I almost killed

Post  monmonmon Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:57 am

there's a lot of tugas (vitex parviflora) and bluebell (desmodium) pre - bonsai materials available in your area dude. Very Happy
monmonmon
monmonmon

Back to top Go down

Post  novsai_Koloy Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 am

yes.. I already have 5 vitex parviflora..
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric F Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Number one looks like a juniper to me. Very common as bonsai. Someone else may know the cultivar. I dont know about the second, buts its trunk doesnt lend itself to bonsai, IMO. Its quite strait and not very tapered. Maybe if it will backbud lower you could chop it short and it may turn out. But like it is I think most are going to agree. But I think the first one is quite possible. Theres lots and lots of info about them and tons of photos to inspire you with a style. Im not the guy to tell you about them, I live in the tropics and use ficus, bougainvillea and other tropical trees for bonsai and fruit. I have no luck with them at all but they exist here. Good luck, hope someone else can help. Have fun.
Eric F
Eric F

Back to top Go down

Post  novsai_Koloy Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:01 am

Thanks Eric. I thought that it's is some type of Aborvitae.. but due to it's pointy tips I doubted myself.. maybe both of them are junipers.. I found a photo once which is somewhat similar to P2 and it was labelled "blue star juniper" but the foliage of the second plant is soft.. anyway, I think caring for it almost is the same with the other junipers so I'll try and base it from the reference I had found..

I also live in a tropical country and I also have some ficus, bougainvillea, some native trees and some fruits ( marang[Artocarpus odoratissimus], avocado, guyabano/soursop[Annona muricata], pomelo[Citrus maxima] and more).. maybe you could help me somehow later when I'm confident enough with their thickness and post some images since most of the tree and fruits were from seed and its only been 3 years since they had sprouted.. their leaves had grown smaller already down to a third though.. I will post later some pics of the bougainvillea I had rescued and the ficus I had air-layered.. hope you can comment on them later..

Again, thanks..
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric F Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:24 am

Where do you live? I live in Costa Rica, an American ex pat. I have jaboticaba, cas, guava of a couple types. But I think were both in the same boat as far as being new to this. But if I can help Ill be happy to. I have miracle fruit, and if you can find pitanga its a good tropical bonsai. Guanabana wont make good bonsai. I wish I could load pics, maybe I could id more. Id like to id the local stranglers that sent me down this crazy path. I have several species without names. One might be f aurea, golden fig. The leaves are a bit gold colored and they range from Florida to at least Panamá. Problem is there are 40 plus types of ficus here and I dont have a field guide yet. Lots have big leaves but some look good to bonsai. I have two in my yard of a native type. Its kinda like benjamína but its something else. No air roots and no nebari. The imported benjis do have both and are another color. Luckily I dont stress over latin names much. Maybe Im the first to bonsai some species that I find. One really makes nice air roots, the other has a natural taper that is nice. We shall see how they do in pots. Ive had one three years abd the others six months or so. I collected 40 one day from fruit trees along the road. Some died from being ripped off the hosts and loosing too many roots. I hope we can help each other, thsts my nature. My phone is always on for anyone I can help. Doors open too. Toke it easy.
Eric F
Eric F

Back to top Go down

Post  novsai_Koloy Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:02 am

I'm from the Philippines.. yes, I'm also a starter.. we'll just have to play around for now and check what changes in 10 or more so years to come for both our trees and our insights.. looking forward to helping each other.. cheers
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric F Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:10 pm

Sounds great, I always like making new friends and learning everyday. So, Im pleased to meet you from afar! I wish I could get ficus from your side. But there are many species here to learn about and bonsai. So, nice to know you and I hope its a long helpfull friendship. Good luck! Btw, is it rainy season there now? Our season ended with the new year so its dry now. I will ask more questions later.
I should also say that your English is very good if its your second language. You must have a good teacher. Take care...
Eric F
Eric F

Back to top Go down

Post  novsai_Koloy Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:55 pm

Sadly were experiencing el niño.. Its a very hot and dry season.. I think it started late or mid last year.. I already lost some of my plants especially those in a small pot because of that.. I water regularly but because i had to go to work, some dried out. And pests were also waiting inline to infest my plants.. maybe because they're thirsty due to the very hot wheather or it's just pest season... Thanks for the complement and yes it's my second language..
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric F Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:59 pm

What is your soil made of? You might be able to add organics to your mix. Normaly when plants dry out to fast some organic, water retaining material like coconut fiber or small pieces of old rotten wood from the jungle. Or maybe a bit of small lava rock. The idea is to have moist soil but not really wet. It should hold enough to last all day so you can water them in the morning and there ok. The pests attack weak plants so if they are too dry, the pests attack them. Im using an organic spray to make the pests go away. Maybe you could make something from garlic, hot chile, and other strong oders that bugs dont like. Once I got tobacco and made a tea to put on my plants, the bugs wouldnt eat it. My grandfather made it from cigarret butts and water by throwing them all in a bucket. He let it make a tea in the sun then out it on the plants. It worked very well. If someone smokes you can get the butts free and as long as rain doesnt wash it off it will help. Only one pest eats tobacco, a worm. Nothing else likes nicotine. If you can get enough, you could water your plants with the tea. No more bugs! Mixed with chile and garlic would probably work very well.
I hope that helps. I like helping. And I must say your English is very good, better than most Costs Ricans! Im happy to help with English too if you like. Take care.
Eric F
Eric F

Back to top Go down

The plants I almost killed Empty The plants I almost killed

Post  geo Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:24 am

Just a caution. The nicotine route is useful,but please remember that the chemical is a deadly neurotoxin for bugs and for animals and people as well.Use a separate spray bottle,rubber gloves,a mask(or hold your breath -lol),wrap around sunglasses.No wind.No pets near or any people for that matter.Smokers ingest very little through the lungs but as a liquid it has the ability to poison you.Be careful.That said-because of its ability to discombobulate the target nervous system,it is effective.An added bonus-unlike manufactured insecticides,it breaks down on the plant tissue within 24 hours.It is best to make a fresh batch,use it and get rid of it.
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Post  novsai_Koloy Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:03 am

Nice.. I'll keep that in mind.. I already know that you can use tobacco tea as pesticide but didn't know the mixture or ratio and other ingredients that could be used.. so I have tried it yet.. for now I just pick them one by one since they're not that infested yet.. the only problem with that is the red ants.. I think it's better or should I say safer that way.. sometimes, when I have time to play a game with my son.. We'll use just tap water and a spray bottle then set it to jet to knock them off my plants..
We have sandy loam in our area.. and the usual mix I used for my plants is the flooring of our pig pen which is made of an organic material composing of rice hulls and coco fibers ( + pig waste lol Very Happy )... of course I don't use it straight from the pen.. Usually it will be settled or set aside for weeks to a month then mixed with soil (sandy loam).. if available I'll add 1cm sized gravel from the river/creek.. with small pots even with water retaining materials.. It would really dry up in about 3-5 hrs under the sun after watering.. even our laundry would dry out quick.. cheers
novsai_Koloy
novsai_Koloy

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric F Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Good point about nicotine. I was probably smoking when I used the tea! I just put dry leaves bought for smoking in a water bottle. It got rid of squash bugs and bugs on my tomatos. My cousin has killed deer that are wounded by cars in populated areas, for the state. He used darts with nocitin. He said it would drop them better than a 22 if you can get in range. He said it was very fast, like seconds and there done. I dont know if they ate those deer or not. He had darts that can kill bears quickly. He hadnt used it on one yet, dont know what hes up to now. So your totaly correct, concentrated nicotine is very potent. Does it need to be for bugs? I had results quickly, then bought an organic spray fertalizer, fungicide, and repelent in one. Its working but washes off. Inside my house/greenhouse I just water below the branches and it seems to last. But its expensive for me so another organic solution is what I need. If I see tobacco being sold I will make tea again. But here its hard to repel soooo many bugs! I have jungle right up close as can be to the edge so I get extras. I imagine its similar there in the Philipins. Plenty of bugs, right? Ive been over run by red and black stink bugs mating in my "house". They were on the indoor plants but the spray worked so now there just everywhere else. I dont think they hurt my plants but its better to protect them from all the types of bugs. But I dont like poison. Maybe someone knows a way to make something.
As far as drying out goes, Ive found that some bigger gravel on top of my soil helps them stay moist longer. I use gravel thats actualy too big because its whats available. I add some commercialy made succulant and cactus mix and or some premade bonsai mix or baby orchid mix. Since Ive added the organic soils my trees seem happier. Sometimes I water with my fish tank water from my aquaponic system and it must help with nutrients. The fish waste is already converted into plant food by the bacteria in the system. Two days ago I put a few trees in my AP set up, in a flood and drain bed. So far all is well. Maybe down there you have room for an AP set up. If so, look up aquaponics for your own organic fish and fruits and veggies in a little self watering system. Mine is fairly cheap and well worth it. And Im going to see if it grows trees as well as plants. Its probably the best gardening system there is for many plants. And Im trying ficus, crotons, and a few others to see how they do. I will let everyone know how it goes. Its a worthy experiment because Ive read that people are trying trees in hydroponic systems that are similar but the HP is not organic. I think it may be a good system for you to grow a lot of plants fast and organic and provide fresh fish all in a very small area. I learned it all on you tube! There are lots of videos showing how to make your system. Im hoping mine grows trees out faster than soil. They transplant with no problem in my experiments. Maybe AP could solve several problems for you and even grow a lot of food all at one time.
Eric F
Eric F

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down