Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"the blob" in America

4 posters

Go down

"the blob" in America Empty "the blob" in America

Post  dick benbow Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:02 pm

Is what NOAA weather predictors are calling a sign in their long range weather forcasts for the USA, will be under until October of 2016. It means warmer and dryer
for the northern tier and much wetter than normal for our south. So giving serious consideration to their predictions, should be rethinking our potting mix beginning with this fall and next springs efforts.
Here in the Seattle area where normals are 3 out of 4 seasons are wetter,hence encouraging us to go to a 3 way mix of two drainage one moisture retentive parts.
I'm thinking I should be custom mixing with more water retentive material (akadama). And wondering in folks like in texas would be slidng the other way with more drainage?
I could understand some folks challenging the correctness of such a prediction, pushing it off that they're not always right, but in lieu of that who would have thought texas would have caught up with their water shortage in one year when it's taken years to get them into the drought situation?
I'm seriously thinking of looking at more of a 50/50 mix here in the Pcific northwest....Thoughts.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

"the blob" in America Empty Re: "the blob" in America

Post  Precarious Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Perhaps pumice instead of Akadama? Availability should be high since they mine it up thata way. Might save on expense...
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:52 am

Precarious wrote:Perhaps pumice instead of Akadama?  Availability should be high since they mine it up thata way.  Might save on expense...

It's pumice for me all the way, with around 10% milled sphagnum. Roots grow faster than I'd like but it's better than soggy roots. It was a dry year so only 100 inches of rain.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:11 am

pumice does seem to make more sense,now that I think about it, and lots less expense. thanks

so same suggestion for the south with lots more moisture?
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:47 pm

composted pine bark is another option... seems to take forever to break down
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content