Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

3 posters

Go down

FUNGUS: Joy or Pain? Empty FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  Guest Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:58 pm

I've been growing a Cypress bonsai for some years now. It's a slow-grower but it looks rather nice. However, this year I see some dark brown  fungus on the soil. Should I be amused or horrified?

FUNGUS: Joy or Pain? Fungus15

Back to top Go down

FUNGUS: Joy or Pain? Empty Re: FUNGUS: Joy or Pain?

Post  leatherback Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:49 pm

I for one, normally am amused. It is very normal for fungi to grow in your soil. They assist roots. If you have no odd behaviour of the plant, I would not worry.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:17 pm

I'd only caution you against keeping your tree too wet.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:08 am

leatherback wrote:I for one, normally am amused. It is very normal for fungi to grow in your soil. They assist roots. If you have no odd behaviour of the plant, I would not worry.
Thank you, leatherback. I only noticed the condition 2 days ago and (so far) I've observed no ill-effects. It's very interesting to find out it can assist roots. I didn't know that.

JimLewis wrote:I'd only caution you against keeping your tree too wet.
Thank you Jim. Yes, I understand. I've been growing this Cypress as bonsai for several years now and this is the first time fungus has developed. But it's no surprise as I recently read that the cypress loves LOTS of water during the growing season. We've had some uncharacteristically hot days the last week or 2 and I've been extra liberal with the watering jug.

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:42 am

F-EW wrote:
Thank you, leatherback. I only noticed the condition 2 days ago and (so far) I've observed no ill-effects. It's very interesting to find out it can assist roots. I didn't know that.

Have a look at http://www.colinlewisbonsai.com/Reading/mycorrhiza.html

Jelle.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:50 am

leatherback wrote:
F-EW wrote:

Have a look at http://www.colinlewisbonsai.com/Reading/mycorrhiza.html

Jelle.

Thank you, leatherback. I've read through and it appears that all three : Ectomycorrhizae - Endomycorrhizae – and Ectendomycorrhizae are directly related to and attached to the roots. The conclusion then is that the sort of surface-soil fungus on my plant are signs of over moisture of the soil and most likely not beneficial to the plant. I think that I'd better allow the soil to dry well and take it from there. Perhaps increasing the grit mixture at the next re-potting.

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:19 am

What do you mean with surface-soil fungus? The mushroom is the reproductive part of the fungus that lives in the soil. Mycchoriza actually fill the whole rootball.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:30 am

leatherback wrote:What do you mean with surface-soil fungus? The mushroom is the reproductive part of the fungus that lives in the soil. Mycchoriza actually fill the whole rootball.
I'm merely going by the description of Ectomycorrhizae, Endomycorrhizae and Ectendomycorrhizae as I understand (or misunderstand) it.
EDIT: I understand much better now. Thank you!

Back to top Go down

Post  Toshiro Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:53 pm

On a different note, I love the macro shot. I get a sense of a temperate rainforest. Kudos
Toshiro
Toshiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:47 am

Toshiro wrote:On a different note, I love the macro shot. I get a sense of a temperate rainforest.  Kudos

Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down