Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honey Loucus

4 posters

Go down

Honey Loucus Empty Honey Loucus

Post  Jerry Fikar Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:22 pm

I,ve just got a fall bargin on a honey locus tree tthat I want to bonsai. It's proably a four yesr old tree in a five gallon pot. The trunk is about 2" in diameter. I'm going to cut it way back but i'm not sure what lenght to cut to. Should I cut on an angle or straight across ? It's close to being dorment now, no leaves. Can I cut it now or wait till spring. How much root should I cut back ? Is fifty per cent too much to start.
Thanks
Jerry Fikar

Jerry Fikar

Back to top Go down

Honey Loucus Empty Re: Honey Loucus

Post  JimLewis Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:12 pm

It's "honey locust" (Gleditsia triacanthos). They make adequate, but not great bonsai (at least not that I have seen).

You need to slow down. I don't think you want to cut the roots and the top at the same time -- especially if you cut the top to the point where there's no foliage or branches. I'd recommend you wait until spring, then cut the top wherever you want. Cutting it square across always works, since you don't know where new branches will sprout. You can always trim off the stump later on.

Work on the roots after you have a mass of foliage up top -- later in the summer, or next spring.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bisjoe Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:31 am

I've been working on one for a few years, and so far am finding it hard to get leaf reduction. I expect it will take many years.
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:56 pm

I have always loved this tree in a landscape, and am also growing a few into hopefully being bonsai material, unfortunately as Jim said I have not seem many (only one in three years of looking)examples of them turning out to be an impressive specimen. Of course between my love for the tree itself, the fast growth rate (which could also be an issue later) and the challenge I figured I would give it a shot. I think however with the type of foliage that they produce, to create a more believable image one would have to train them to be a larger bonsai, unless substantial leaf reduction was possible. If anyone has any works in progress I would love to see some pictures.
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down