Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noelanders Trophy 2014 won't allow Photography

+19
sunip
alex e
coh
Khaimraj Seepersad
brett2013
dorothy7774
Kev Bailey
Penjing37
petit-arbre
fiona
Russell Coker
dre
JimLewis
Hans van Meer.
Vance Wood
Fore
Todd Ellis
Richard S
Xavier de Lapeyre
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Noelanders Trophy 2014 won't allow Photography Empty Noelanders Trophy 2014 won't allow Photography

Post  Xavier de Lapeyre Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 am

No Photos at Noelenders Trophy 2014

Greetins all,
I've been seeing some posts popping up regarding the fact that Noelanders Trophy 2014 won't allow photographs from the public to be taken.

Seen a video from Tony Tickle : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIyAVby7GRI
As well as some articles from the net :
The most interesting being this one [ in french ] : http://www.petit-arbre.com/noelanders-trophy-no-photo-reponse-du-comite

I have not been able to find any official Noelanders communique on that subject...

So I want to know if this is true or just some sort of out of date "April's Fool" ?

According to "http://www.petit-arbre.com/noelanders-trophy-no-photo-reponse-du-comite"
"Exception will be for photographers taking pictures for magazines and news papers... I hope bloggers will count too as well."

I don't remember ever having touched a bonsai magazine or news paper in my whole life, and I've been looking.... They just don't import this sort of magazine on my Island.

Over and above the magazine is the fact that individual bonsai-ka photographers share a LOT more info and in so various ways that a magazine does.
Some shows the tree that interests them via their own artistic approach, via various angles, closeups on the nebari or jin, close up of the ramification, of the trunk, of the pot, etc... Not just a clinical shooting of the whole display from afar.

Like those clinical shoots : http://www.bonsaiassociation.be/en/gallery.php?gal=trophy
Verses detailed pictures [ close up, various angles, etc ] like those :
http://bonsaipro.blogspot.com/search?q=Noelanders+Trophy
http://feel-spirit-bonsai.blogspot.com/2012/01/noelanders-trophy-2012.html
http://mayadori.blogspot.com/2011/01/esprit-de-noelanders.html

I love those clinical shoots, mind you, but those detailed shoots and closeup helps me more in appreciating the tree, and effort made into developping them.
I feel like I'm travelling with the photograph and looking at the tree itself, like I would.
Up and down, left and right, inspecting those shari and analysing how the ramification was made.
And I'm learning all the time from those...

Anyone can shed a little more light on that matter regarding the taking of pictures in the Noelanders 2014?
Where can we find an official statement from the site or big boss himself?

Last edited by Xavier de Lapeyre on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : YouTube video removed)
Xavier de Lapeyre
Xavier de Lapeyre

Back to top Go down

Noelanders Trophy 2014 won't allow Photography Empty Re: Noelanders Trophy 2014 won't allow Photography

Post  Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:10 am

Hi Xavier de Lapeyre

http://www.bonsaiassociation.be/fl/im/trophy/brochure2014.pdf

The official poster from the trophy show a "no camera" sign....so this is not a just a bad joke.

So this is the end of

I love those clinical shoots, mind you, but those detailed shoots and closeup helps me more in appreciating the tree, and effort made into developping them.
I feel like I'm travelling with the photograph and looking at the tree itself, like I would.
Up and down, left and right, inspecting those shari and analysing how the ramification was made.
And I'm learning all the time from those...as you say.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Noelanders Trophy 2014 won't allow Photography Empty Re: Noelanders Trophy 2014 won't allow Photography

Post  Richard S Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:15 am

I also noticed the NO PHOTOGRAPHY sign on the flyer which surprised me a little as there have previously always been plenty of photos and videos doing the rounds after this event.

As someone who has never been and is unlikely to be able to make it over to Belgium this year either I think this is a real shame. However, if you read the introduction by Marc Neolanders available on the Bonsai Association Belgium web site you will find the following explanation,

"Because of the ever growing number of visitors, and as we want people to relax and enjoy
the beauty of our bonsai exhibition, we have decided not to allow photography anymore.
Looking at a bonsai takes more than a ‘click’ of one second. All the trees will be photographed
professionally, and will be available afterwards in a full colour book for a price less
than a memory card. We are sure that every visitor will feel the difference in atmosphere."

Now a cynic might look at that and think, oh I see, they don't want you to take your own photos so they can flog you a book!

Of course I don't know if this is case. As I said I've never been so couldn't say whether people taking photos really does spoil the atmosphere for others or not but in the absence of evidence to the contrary I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Others with more experience will be better placed to judge.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am

Having posted that I went back to actually follow some of the links in the first post.

If you only check out one of them make it Tony Tickles video, very funny!!! I get the impression that Tony's not very happy with this decision Laughing 

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Since I don't live there and am "not in the loop", I must reserve judgment. I do know that I loved seeing the photos while the show was "new". I loved Tony's video; very clever and funny! ... it made my morning!  Very Happy 
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:27 pm

What happened to Tony's video??
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:49 pm

This will not bode well for the show
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Fore wrote:What happened to Tony's video??  

I am glad I saw the video before it was removed! It was a well made pretty hilarious way to address a serious issue. By not allowing the visitors of this next Noelanders trophy to take pictures any longer, this friendly event has lost a lot off it's charm! A wrong move in my vision!
Well don Tony! CU you Saturday my funny friend!  Very Happy 
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:12 pm

I agree.

I wonder whether the organisers have considered just how much additional (free) publicity their event gets via the various informal photo/video outlets?

I should say here that I do have the Neolanders Trophy 10 years book and it is a very high quality publication containing many excellent professional photos but as a relative newcomer to bonsai I'd only heard of the Neolanders Trophy because of various YOUTUBE videos and web forum photos.

As I'm unlikely to attend this year I am also now unlikely to see any of the trees. This can only reduce the chance of me being motivated to attend in the future.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:14 pm

Hey! Everybody "knows" that photography damages the trees (just like it damages the artwork in all those museums). It also steals their soul. <g>

Sounds like the proprietors of the show have a commemorative album in the works and want all the money for themselves.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  dre Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:10 am

i second that one jim they will most likely put a book out of the trees. look how well those books of the national show have done. i yet to make it to one but if i remember correctly (as i've been told by people who have made it to the show) you cant take pictures there either i might be wrong but what can you do. and imagine in japans top show you wouldn't be able to take pictures either

dre

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:52 am

It is now allowed for visitors to take photos af the two big events in Kyoto...Taikan Ten, and Gafu Ten.

A strong rumour say you probably will be allowed to take your own Photos at the Kokofu Ten...not the bonsai, but in the new suisekisection.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dre Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:31 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:It is now allowed for visitors to take photos af the two big events in Kyoto...Taikan Ten, and Gafu Ten.

A strong rumour say you probably will be allowed to take your own Photos at the Kokofu Ten...not the bonsai, but in the new suisekisection.

Kind regards Yvonne
thank you yvonne never knew that about the shows in japan i always thought pictures were a big no.

dre

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:53 am

Hi Guys, I made the video as a response to the NO PHOTOGRAPHY ruling as an amusing anecdote. I am in support of the ban as I do believe it to be detrimental to the experience of the majority of visitors. For those of you that saw it in the 24 hours that it was live I am glad you enjoyed it and for anyone who misread its meaning I hope my position is clear.

I took down the video out of respect for a German friend who contacted me personally...NO OTHER REASON, so lets not have any conspiracy theories shall we!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:08 am

dre wrote:
Yvonne Graubaek wrote:It is now allowed for visitors to take photos af the two big events in Kyoto...Taikan Ten, and Gafu Ten.

Kind regards Yvonne
thank you yvonne never knew that about the shows in japan i always thought pictures were a big no.

It used to forbitten...last time I was there. gueards was on their toes.....I guess they learned from maybe "Noelanders Trophy" as it used to be, how much photos from events cirkeling around, make people like and speak and promote a event.

who knows...Maybe the Trohpy will change back again...personly was I never bothered with the photographers, If I was looking at a tree, they could wait.
How many of you guys have been that bothered, so you actuly wanted to exchange your permission to take your own Photos, compared to not having other photographers around?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 am

Why not have a day (just a single day) where people can have a "free Photography day" for the exhibits and let the rest of the exhibitions be "no photography allowed".
This way the exhibitors can have the opportunity too to take their own pictures of their trees and the exhibitions. Sometimes it is not only the trees in exhibitions that is worth capturing in pictures, but the spirit of the moment in the exhibitions is sometimes worthy to be captured in personal cameras. for some exhibitors it is a better souvenir than a book of the trees in the exhibition....unless it is a money issue in book selling.

I know this idea will have no bearing what so ever in the current issue, just expressing sentiments..hehe.

regards,
jun  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:15 pm

I am in support of the ban as I do believe it to be detrimental to the experience of the majority of visitors.

Oh, fiddle faddle. Bonsai shows aren't so crowded that photographers can't work around the people.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:16 pm

JimLewis wrote:Hey!  Everybody "knows" that photography damages the trees (just like it damages the artwork in all those museums).  It also steals their soul.  <g>

Sounds like the proprietors of the show have a commemorative album in the works and want all the money for themselves.  

"like"
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:25 pm

JimLewis wrote:
I am in support of the ban as I do believe it to be detrimental to the experience of the majority of visitors.

Oh, fiddle faddle.   Bonsai shows aren't so crowded that photographers can't work around the people.

The Noelanders Trophy IS very crowded all the time....Tripods would in my opinion be too much, but a camera.... no

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:50 pm

As far as I am aware, exhibitors are perfectly entitled to do some photography at the end of set-up and before the show opens to the public.
I am not necessarily in favour of photo-taking bans at shows. But can I just suggest that efforts might best be directed to the organisers and that way an acceptable solution might be reached, for example they might be willing to allocate a slot at the end or start of the show days when pics could be taken.

Might be advantageous to ask.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:44 pm

If you have a decent camera no tripid is needed, and there is always the unipod, which is a LOT less awkward to use, takes no room, and still holds the camera still.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  petit-arbre Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:02 pm

The offical answer of the commitee of the Association Bonsai Belgium for why photos are disallowed at noelanders trophy 2014 ? is here

petit-arbre

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing37 Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:25 pm

"Not on web – why?
Bonsai amateurs and professionals invest a huge amount of time to create their piece of art.
We all have to respect their view and taste for bonsai."

Does anybody understand what that means and how it has something to do with pictures ?
 Suspect 

Penjing37
Penjing37

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:42 pm

"Not on web – why?
Bonsai amateurs and professionals invest a huge amount of time to create their piece of art.
We all have to respect their view and taste for bonsai."

I know that some artists are reluctant to allow photography of their trees, especially if the owner's identity is revealed, due to the increasing incidence of theft of valuable specimens. Also some artists are reluctant to allow their creations to be photographed because once they are "known" by all for free, over the internet, their value is "lessened" for showing in future. I have been asked not to take photo's on two occasions by a well known bonsai artist. The majority howevever are happy or even flattered that you are interested enough in their work to want to have a record.

Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:49 pm

"People" are a strange bunch for sure so I guess anything is possible but.......................if your worried about your work becoming too well known why enter it into a major show?
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next