Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Request help in Identifying this Tree.

+3
Russell Coker
John Quinn
mithun_mukundan
7 posters

Go down

Request help in Identifying this Tree. Empty Request help in Identifying this Tree.

Post  mithun_mukundan Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:19 am

Hi All,

I received a Bonsai as a gift on my birthday and i have absolutely no method to trace the seller. I am requesting your help to identify the tree for me.

Below pictures:
Request help in Identifying this Tree. 2013-011
Request help in Identifying this Tree. 2013-012
Request help in Identifying this Tree. 2013-013
Request help in Identifying this Tree. 2013-014
Appreciate you help.

Thank You,
Mithun Mukundan
India - Cochin

In case the image is not visible on the post, below links:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/46/90/64/2013-011.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/46/90/64/2013-012.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/46/90/64/2013-013.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f75/18/46/90/64/2013-014.jpg

mithun_mukundan

Back to top Go down

Request help in Identifying this Tree. Empty Re: Request help in Identifying this Tree.

Post  John Quinn Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 am

Looks like Fukien Tea... Carmona microphylla or more recently Ehretia micropylla. Looks like it has a scale infestation too...
Any other ideas?
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Request help in Identifying this Tree. Empty Re: Request help in Identifying this Tree.

Post  Russell Coker Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:36 pm

John Quinn wrote:Looks like it has a scale infestation too...
Any other ideas?

Yep, spider mites.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  mithun_mukundan Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:12 am

Thank You Russell and John!

I did do some research on Scale infestation and spider mites, based on what i could gather i have been seeing a mix of reviews online. Below are the few that i found common, but on few website the below procedures claim to have bad impact to the tree.

1) Spray House & Garden Bug Killer. ( not recommended by everyone).
2) Mix 1 Tea spoon of liquid soap with 1 liter of water - Spray once in 2 weeks. (Soap treatment)
3) Alcohol diluted with water - Using Que tip to clean the infestation.
etc..

I am not sure which one of these would be most appropriate to kill the devils Or is there are any other better method to get rid of them. Please help.

For now i have tried my best to manually pick out the mites as much as possible, but i am sure there are still eating up my plant...

mithun_mukundan

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:35 am

Try to get to a local garden center or nursery and ask for a product to control red spider mites. What you can get locally is the best option. You can also ask about scale control. I think this is your best option.

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Please excuse my ignorance... where is Cochin?

Are you keeping this plant indoors? That really fuels these two pests. First thing I'd do is get it outside and wash it down with a hose with some pressure. Obviously we're not trying to blast the leaves off the plant, or the plant out of the pot. Here in the US, Bayer makes a good product "3 in 1 Insect, disease and mite control".

Good luck!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Russell Coker wrote:

Good luck!
South west coast of India Russell.

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  rrubberbandman Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Russell Coker wrote:

Are you keeping this plant indoors?  That really fuels these two pests.  First thing I'd do is get it outside and wash it down with a hose with some pressure.  Obviously we're not trying to blast the leaves off the plant, or the plant out of the pot.  Here in the US, Bayer makes a good product "3 in 1 Insect, disease and mite control".

Good luck!
Russell,
Have you ever encountered the bayer product being to strong for some types of bonsai?
I have used the bayer products that are ground applied thru soil and then absorbed thru roots and dispersed into trees that way but these are yard trees of 50-100ft in height...oaks,hickories,poplars,etc etc
Bryan

rrubberbandman

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi Bryan,

Some Bayer products state on the lable to be carfull in application, as it may damage the plant too.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Bryan, I've not used that one. I get the one in the bottle that goes on the hose. Honestly, I've never used it on my bonsai but I may hit my camellias with it just to be on the safe side. I have used the one I mentioned earlier in the garden several times and I haven't seen any damage.

And thanks Andrew!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:47 pm

The only Bayer 3-1 I have seen is for hose end. How do you get it into a spray bottle at the right mixture so you can use it on your trees?
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:31 pm

DougB wrote:The only Bayer 3-1 I have seen is for hose end.  How do you get it into a spray bottle at the right mixture so you can use it on your trees?

I use the hose...
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down