Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My tree is dying

4 posters

Go down

My tree is dying Empty My tree is dying

Post  eyelessdk Sun May 05, 2013 8:31 am

Hello
First of all, sorry if my English isn't the best, cause I'm from Denmark.

I've bougt this tree about a month ago in a nursery, as a bonsai. It said that it was a ligustrum but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of ulmus.
I repotted it into soil of 60% potting soil and 40% akadama, the old soil seem to be some kind of clay.
I put it outside. Since then we have had a lot of rain here in Denmark and the pot didn't have any drainage,(I have drilled some now) so the soil have been pretty wet most of the time.
The temperature drops till about 5C(41F) to about 15C(59F) in the day.
It get's about 4-5 hours of sun in the morning, though must days is cloudy.

As you can see, on the pictures, the tree isn't doing well, it has contentiously denigrated since I've bought it and now the leaves is all withered.
I guess the tree is still alive, cause i made a small cut in the trunk and it is green just beneath the bark.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong and what, if anything I can do to save it?

My tree is dying Img_0410
My tree is dying Img_0411
My tree is dying Img_0412

eyelessdk

Back to top Go down

My tree is dying Empty Re: My tree is dying

Post  JimLewis Sun May 05, 2013 11:54 am

If there were no holes in the pot, your trees roots may have drowned. I hope the holes you drilled were large ones 1/2 inch (1 cm) or larger, and that there were more than one.

I can sympathize with the rain issue; ours seems not to want to stop. But you need to give the tree's roots some time in soil that is just damp and not soggy. The soil you mixed probably would be OK for a dry climate, but I suspect it stays too wet too easily in a wet one. If you can move the tree to somewhere under a porch or a roof line where it still gets daylight but is not soaked all the time, it MAY help. Never let the soil get stone dry, but keep it from being soggy all the time.

Good luck -- though it may be too late for a complete recovery. You may lose branches.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  eyelessdk Mon May 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks for the answer, I'll keep my fingers crossed

eyelessdk

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireneu Tue May 07, 2013 7:40 pm

It's a plastic pot? Bad thing then, guy... No

-Ireneu-
Ireneu
Ireneu

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 pm

At this point, the material the pot is made of is the least of your worries. Plants grow in plastic pots for years with absolutely no problem. They're not aesthetically pleasing, but not necessary until you are going to be displaying your tree.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  tap pi lu Sat May 11, 2013 4:05 am

"your trees roots may have drowned." I also think so
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  eyelessdk Sun May 12, 2013 5:56 pm

So if the roots has drowned, is there no hope for the tree or can it survive?

eyelessdk

Back to top Go down

My tree is dying Empty Hi

Post  tap pi lu Tue May 14, 2013 12:50 pm

eyelessdk wrote:So if the roots has drowned, is there no hope for the tree or can it survive?
I thing is there hope for the tree , can it survive.
you follow Jim : " I hope the holes you drilled were large ones 1/2 inch (1 cm) or larger, and that there were more than one.
I can sympathize with the rain issue; ours seems not to want to stop. But you need to give the tree's roots some time in soil that is just damp and not soggy. The soil you mixed probably would be OK for a dry climate, but I suspect it stays too wet too easily in a wet one. If you can move the tree to somewhere under a porch or a roof line where it still gets daylight but is not soaked all the time, it MAY help. Never let the soil get stone dry, but keep it from being soggy all the time. "
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down