Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

azalea (karen) ??? help please ...

4 posters

Go down

azalea (karen) ??? help please ... Empty azalea (karen) ??? help please ...

Post  mike Bat Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:29 pm

anyone here have any info on this azalea ??? i found 2 in a clearance at a local nursery ... bolth have interesting trunks and tiny leaves ,, bolth almost look like small trees as is ... im reading the tag and all i can get from the tag is that its called a azalea karen ??? they grow 3-4 ft wide and tall .... other than that i have nothing .. im not sure if they are even sutiable for bonsai ,, but i really like the tiny foliage and interesing trunks ... help please /

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

azalea (karen) ??? help please ... Empty Re: azalea (karen) ??? help please ...

Post  Harleyrider Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi Mike. A quick Google gave me this: http://www.wolfcreekgardens.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=108

Hope it's some use to you. It certainly sounds like it's a good subject for bonsai. Good luck with them, and let's see some pics. Someone (or several someones) will doubtless have suggestions on how to start styling them.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Bat Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:11 am

hey thanks .. i did already read that page i too googled it ... but i was still unsure if it would be good materal for bonsai .. it looks like it would be great ,, small leaves ,, nice trunk movment and so on ... how ever arent azaleas rather tough to work with ,, i read somewhere they have thier own rules ??? eighter way i want to try working with em ... ill get some pics up of the stock ...

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Bat Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:55 am

here are some pics of the plant materal
azalea (karen) ??? help please ... Packersgamestacys1st012
azalea (karen) ??? help please ... Packersgamestacys1st013
what do ya think ?

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:54 pm

Well, you do have a lot of severe pruning to do, but azaleas by their very nature -- compact root systems, small leaves (often, at least), acceptance of pruning, overall resilience, are all suitable for bonsai. This one may be a Kurume variety.

Better than Satsuki (IMHO).
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Bat Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:13 pm

hey thanks Jim i has no ideal .. so is it ok to pune back hard ???

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:32 pm

I'm a transplanted Floridian and now a North Carolinian. I wouldn't dare say what you could/should or should not do in Green Bay.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:14 pm

If you prune now, the chances are it will push new growth that will not harden off before a deep frost. Your best bet is to winter them over in their current pot. Wait till next spring after the flower bloom and drop, and then prune. Repotting should be done at the same time of the year, but you would be stressing the trees quite a bit to do both at the same time. They like acid soil, and they don't like having too much of the roots pruned at any one time. Good luck.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Bat Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:29 am

hey thanks for the help ... you really answered some questions i had ... ill just do what you said ,, winter them in the pots ... im in no rush ,, i have all time to work with em ... i just wanted to insure i was doing the work at the right times ... thanks again ...

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down