Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

+95
kingsnake
Tom
MKBonsai
BrianS
manumidam
Chris Cochrane
Intricate Simplicity
chench53
KyleT
Maros Belan
DjTommy
Bolero
Gonetopot
Rick36
M. Frary
Van
Toshiro
fiona
Precarious
drbuzzbee
geo
LanceMac10
MichaelS
kimo
Chellis
Leo Schordje
FrankP999
dick benbow
BrianG
crust
TN Jim
Seth Ellwood
Wander
peterkang
Judgie
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Vance Wood
JMcCoy
brett2013
GerhardGerber
lordy
Eric Group
my nellie
steveb
Jaybird
Todd Ellis
jgeanangel
Daygan
AlainK
Richard S
Randy_Davis
Robert J. Baran
David Brunner
William N. Valavanis
Jkd2572
Dale Cochoy
Jesse McMahon
prestontolbert
yamasuri
bingregory
Stephen Krall
DougB
Ashiod
JADunnagan
sayotefries
JudyB
Dan W.
Khaimraj Seepersad
DuncanJH
Dave Murphy
monte
MikeG
augustine
Russell Coker
Kev Bailey
lennard
BigDave
Marty Weiser
Smithy
coh
tmmason10
dorothy7774
gman
Dave Leppo
hometeamrocker
bwaynef
Billy M. Rhodes
Walter Pall
Sam Ogranaja
JimLewis
MartinSweeney
bonsaisr
Auballagh
John Quinn
Arthur Joura
99 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Empty Re: American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

Post  jgeanangel Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:58 pm

DougB wrote:Thanks John and Arthur.  That video was great and exceptionally instructional.  We need more video like this.

Thanks...I just need more time and more motivation! After doing 120+ videos it is harder to get motivated to do them now. It seems like every time I look at one of my trees my first (guilty) thought is I need to do a video update and it seems like that is taking some of the fun out of now for me. But, I will try to do better! Thanks again and I am glad it was helpful to you.

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Empty Re: American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:20 pm

jgeanangel wrote:
DougB wrote:Thanks John and Arthur.  That video was great and exceptionally instructional.  We need more video like this.
After doing 120+ videos it is harder to get motivated to do them now

John

I've got a dwarf Crape Myrtle we can shape and video if you want.
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Small_43

Sorry to hijack your thread Arthur Smile

Have a great weekend y'all!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Arthur Joura wrote: permanently dormant.

Got to be one of the all time great euphemisms there!!!  Laughing 

JudyB

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Empty An Unintended But Scenic Detour

Post  Arthur Joura Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:50 pm

Thank you to hometeamrocker, Chris, Walter, Sam, Doug and Judy for reading and adding your thoughts. Thanks especially to my friend John G., for taking time to make videos with me and then posting them on his YouTube channel and here on the IBC. It is good to see you back here, buddy!

During my recent holiday travels I found occasion to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. (www.metmuseum.org) This is one of the major art museums in the world and a place I am well familiar with. I first visited as a young teenager, and then returned many times over the course of the 1970's and early 80's, and have continued to visit on an almost annual basis over the last decade or so. Although this museum has a staggering amount of all sorts of art from cultures all over the world, whenever I am there I find time to linger in the galleries featuring painting, particularly European and American painting from the 19th and earlier 20th centuries.

The Met (as it is generally called) allows for photography of its permanent holdings, so long as no flash or tripod is used. Some years ago I began a little project for self interest, in which I take pictures of some of the famous paintings, with an eye toward how the subject of 'trees' is handled. The thought occurred a week or so ago to share some of these images here on the IBC. I went first to the website for the Met to see what kind of policy they might have regarding the use of photographic images made of exhibits in their museum. The policy is simple - no publication of such images is allowed, for any reason, period. I was dejected but kept reading, and so discovered that digital images of most all the museum's great paintings are posted on their web site, and these images may be copied and used for non-commercial web activity, such as this forum, provided they are credited with the Met's web address. I immediately sought out the paintings I had photographed in person and found they were available, and the images were of better quality than I was able to produce.

On impulse, I then went to Wikimedia Commons to see if there were any other such images in the public domain. Wow. There are thousands easily available, and it took me the better part of 2 wintery days to plow through them and add substantially to my personal collection. It has been an unanticipated but very scenic detour!

I have an interest in these images that goes beyond my lifelong study of both trees and art. That interest pertains to bonsai, and that is why I am posting now and sharing these thoughts with you. What I am doing is something along the lines of cross-training, only instead of the activity being based in sports it is based in the aesthetics of design. I look at these great works of art from various places in the world, created over a span of time covering more than a thousand years, and study them for design ideas that might be applicable to bonsai. I am looking to the great visual artists of the past to share with me some of what they knew regarding the artistic properties of trees, and how to depict them in ways that have expressive meaning.

Trees have been a practical part of the life experience of most human beings for as long as humans have walked the earth. We have depended on them for a multitude of necessities, from food and medicine to heat, tools, and shelter. Trees have also been an integral part of the human quest for spirituality, and when time and circumstance have allowed, trees have been ever present in the great impulse of human creativity and artistic expression. Trees inspire us.

What follows is gallery of painted images of trees. Trees appear in many media - sculpture, photography, drawing, printmaking, jewelry, tapestry, mosaic, stamps and coins - but the focus here is strictly on the painted image. The images are labeled with the artist's name, if known, the time period in which the work was produced, and the nationality/culture that produced it. The images are in approximate chronological order. The composition of this gallery is completely subjective and reflects only my own personal tastes and ideas.

I have not included titles for the works because they do not matter for this purpose. I encourage you instead to study these paintings as I do, with an eye for the way in which trees are being represented. I relate all these images in some way, directly or indirectly, to bonsai. I will share with you various thoughts I have pertaining to these images and that purpose, but not until later. For now, I hope you will study them for yourself and see what thoughts come to your mind.

All of these images are used here legally. Most of them have been copied from Wikimedia Commons and are in the public domain, with the exception of those from the website of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which are used by permission and designated by way of the "(www.metmuseum.org)" credit.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1a_fac10
Unknown, mid 14th century BCE, Egyptian (Facsimile painting from early 20th century) (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1b_rom10
Unknown, early 1st century, Roman

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1c_ma_10
Ma Lin, 1246, Chinese

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1cc_co10
Unknown, early 14th century, German

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1d_wu_10
Wu Zhen, 1328, Chinese

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1e_she10
Shen Zhou, 15th century, Chinese

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1ee_ae10
Aert van den Bossche, 1494, Flemish

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1f_t_a10
T'ang Yin, 1523, Chinese

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1g_kan10
Kano Chokichi, mid-16th century, Japanese (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1h_abu10
Unknown, 1610, Indian

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1i_afg11
Unknown, 1619, Afghan

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1j_gij10
Gijsbrecht Leytens, 1600's, Flemish

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1k_jan10
Jan van Goyen, 1641, Dutch

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1l_jac10
Jacob van Ruisdael, 1646, Dutch (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1m_ind10
Unknown, 1770, Indian

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1n_wil10
William Blake, 1808, British

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1o_ach10
Achile Etna Michallon, early 1800's, French

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1p_sak10
Sakai Hoitsu, 1816, Japanese (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1q_cam10
Camille Corot, 1825, French

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1r_joh10
Johan Christian Dahl, 1825, Norwegian

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1s_cas10
Caspar David Friedrich, 1827, German

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1t_jul10
Julius von Leypold, 1835, German (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1u_nak10
Nakabyashi Chikkei, mid-1800's, Japanese (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Thomas10
Thomas Cole, 1846, American

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1v_gus10
Gustave Courbet, 1864, French

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1w_jea10
Jean-Francois Millet, 1872, French (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1x_han10
Hans Gude, 1874, Norwegian

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1y_geo10
George Inness, 1876, American (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1z_alf10
Alfred Sisley, 1879, British (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2a_pau10
Paul Cezanne, 1886, French (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2b_alb10
Albert Bierstadt, late 1800's, German-American

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2c_vin10
Vincent van Gogh, 1888, Dutch (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2d_pau10
Paul Gauguin, 1892, French

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2e_pau10
Paul Signac, 1893, French

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2f_cam10
Camille Pissarro, 1894, Dutch-French

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2g_and10
Andre Derain, 1906, French (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2h_hen10
Henri Matisse, 1907, French (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2i_gus10
Gustav Klimt, 1909, Austrian

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2j_lee10
Leendert Gestel, 1910, French

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2k_hen10
Henry Ward Ranger, 1910, American

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2l_arn10
Arnold Lyongrun, 1912, German

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2m_geo10
Georgia O'Keeffe, 1925, American (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2n_ern10
Ernst Platz, 1931, German

Last edited by Arthur Joura on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Great for a long winter's night of contemplation. Arthur, as a philosopher who is probably like most others of that ilk I assume you have a secret potion that helps you transcend mere mortals. Perhaps someday you could share your secret.

thanks enjoy the long winters night.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Arthur,
I love that you have brought to light the western art of trees for us to contemplate in our endeavors to create artistic bonsai.  I for one, have had a long time interest in the subject and there is one painter that I have recently come to appreciate which has a small following in the bonsai community, Jacobus Pierneef.  His art has influenced the bonsai artists in South Africa which is understandable as he (Pireneef) painted the South African Landscape in the early 20th century.  There are only a handful of example trees done in that style (a published bonsai style) none of which are in any of the publicly maintained bonsai collections in the world outside of South Africa and I'm not sure even there.  There are many fine paintings by Pierneff that are inspirational, at least to me anyway, that have inspired me to embark on a path to create one.  Below I have included a typical example of his work.  The image is in the public domain so having it here should not be problematical.
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Pierne10
Pierneef 1945

In addition I would add, that there are many avenues that could be traveled by bonsai artists to not only interpret painted art into a living piece of artwork, but also to use plant material as a medium to express an idea or concept that goes beyond trees in nature.  In my old age, I have embarked on some work in this area with results to be had in a few more years, god willing!. I for one, would love to see other bonsai artists express their ideas on this little discussed topic.  Thanks so much for your entry into this area of bonsai ART.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:40 pm

For Arthur -

You also posted one of my favourite Chinese painters - Ma Lin, and Europeans - Caspar Friedrich, Jakob van Ruysdael,
Ruysdael was someone I used to worship at the Uffizi.

Can't grow oaks, so I mess around with Indoor Oaks [ Buddhelia [ spelling? ] type. chuckle.]
Much thanks,
Khaimraj

Randy - I am still trying to get a catalogue raisonne on Pierneef, Very rythmic work.

Jakob van Ruysdael - An oak

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 744px-10

An oak drawing

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Ruisda10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Empty Through the Eyes of Children

Post  Arthur Joura Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Doug - As I have never witnessed any sarcastic tendency in you, I will have to conclude you are in earnest and thank you for your kind (albeit mysterious) comments! I am glad you enjoyed looking through the gallery of painted tree images, and I hope others did, as well.

Randy - Thank you for your post, and for bringing the work of Jacobus Pierneef to my attention. I have for a while now heard reference in bonsai circles to "Pierneef trees" and wondered about it. Although I understood the term was used to describe the look of trees shaped by the hungry mouths of giraffes, I did not understand the Pierneef descriptor. Thanks for filling in that blank for me! Elsewhere in your post you suggest the possibility of using bonsai to interpret painted art works, and this surprised me, as such was not my intention in posting the images I did. It is an interesting concept and I am not making any judgment on it, but simply saying my purpose was something different. With today's post I will move a little closer to defining that purpose.

Comrade Khamraij - I thought you, with your formal training in art, might find this subject of tree images enticing! Friedrich and van Ruysdael, yes, and I would add Corot to the list - these were painters who indeed spent some time studying trees! More about them later...

The other day, while I was on Wikimedia Commons looking at tree images, I stumbled across a collection of drawings by young people, filed together under the heading of "Vale Youth Art Project". Here I saw a collection of pictures produced at a middle school in Colorado back in 2004, where students had received a presentation about the US Bureau of Land Management and then were asked to make paintings inspired by what they had learned. Looking through these pictures I realized a few of them make useful examples to illustrate a couple of points I think have great relevance to bonsai design.

Picture #1:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Vale_y10

This image can be seen as typical of a child's drawing of a tree, albeit one done with more artistic talent than is usually the case. The tree is presented in the classic "lollipop" form - a fat stick for a trunk, a ball of green on top for the crown.

Picture #2:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Vale_y11

Here is another painting of a subject quite the same as the previous one. It shows a deciduous tree in a field, at some point during the growing season. Looking past such matters as compositional skill or technical ability in handling the medium, and focusing instead on just the simple representation of a tree, what do you notice? To my thinking, the student who painted picture #2 has a better understanding of how a tree is actually put together. A logical (although not unquestionable) assumption is that this young person had been more observant of trees, and so when they made their painting more of that tree information found its way into the picture.

Ever wonder what those lollipop trees, like picture #1, look like as a winter silhouette?

Picture #3:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Vale_y13

So, we have a fat stick for a trunk, leading up to what? Not a ball of green, because the leaves have fallen off for the winter, but rather a ball of smaller sticks representing twigs. This is logical, in that most people know leaves are attached to twigs and branches, so when the leaves are gone that is what we see.

Picture #4:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Vale_y15

Here, again, we have an image of a tree that contains more accurate information regarding the anatomy of real trees. This student realizes there is something between the trunk and the twigs that connects them, that there is a transition between the one fat stick and the many smaller sticks. Moreover, they accurately convey that there is a step-down transition, that there are what we in bonsai might refer to as primary, secondary and tertiary branches, and all these together form the crown of a tree. Giving this young person the credit they deserve, they also incorporated in their tree image a sense of taper to the trunk and texture to the bark, and a graceful, almost lyrical sweep to the branching, which is certainly designed but not obviously contrived. I think this student's work exhibited a well developed understanding of basic tree structure, in addition to some respectable artistic skills.

Understand a distinction is being made here between tree knowledge and artistry. Ranking these images in terms of tree knowledge, I would say that #4 is the best, followed by #2, then #3, and lastly #1. Artistically, I would order them this way: #4, #1, #3, #2. The point being that it is possible to create an image that is artistic without it being well informed by observation of physical reality. A lollipop tree image can be executed in such a way that it has artistic merit even though it does not have much to offer in terms of conveying an understanding of trees in nature. Of course, it is likewise possible to have a tree image that is accurate in describing the features of trees in nature, but has significant failings as a work of art.

And given these two possibilities, we should not overlook the obvious third possibility - that a work can be simultaneously artistic AND legitimate in truthfully representing botanical reality.
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan W. Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Very well put Arthur! All of these images are intriguing and enjoyable, from the masterpieces to the beginner level.

-- I have been disappointed by most every attempt to come up with percentages in bonsai. Is it 50/50% Horticulture/Art? or 60/40 or 70/30...etc..etc. My argument is that it is 100% horticulture, and 100% art/craft. Truly successful bonsai are alive and healthy because they are cared for correctly; and they represent the image that the owner is attempting to convey because of skilled artistry or craftsmanship. To have a truly well structured bonsai one must be able to master both sides of the coin. You can't have one without the other in bonsai. So to me, they are 100/100

I was originally taught that bonsai is 90% horticulture and 10% art... I have rebelled against this from the very beginning... Though I do understand the logic behind the statement, I don't want my trees to only be 10% artistic...lol Smile
Dan W.
Dan W.

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Arthur, Dan,

health is the most important situation, but as to what comes next ......................???????????????????????????????

A celtis in a tin can is still a tree, and it can be healthy, even if it has no attempt at a design, it is still a tree.
It might also make the owner content.

Does one really have to display trees ?
Gain approval from other than the owner?

When those children did these paintings, were they expressed feelings, or to be exhibited / competition work?

The only time paintings have to impress is if they are to be sold.
The most sincere compliment is when someone buys a painting.

So if the owner is content with a healthy tree in a tin can ????????????????

Wishing to display is when Design takes over, has to fit the Exhibitions rules, to impress.

A long while ago, I discovered that I could draw certain trees into a design and then just grow the seed or cutting into the drawing. The drawing uses mass for branchlet/ leaf zones, as these can be a multitude of angles that would still satisfy the eye. Mostly seen in shrubs that hedge by the way, more choices per response to a cut.

So as the IBC functions, what is more important than health. It takes 7 years of training at an Atelier to get enough drawing, painting, philosophy and so on under the belt. Then we get the JOB title Fine Artist, but as I have said before only History will say if we had anything to say, to be contemplated.

So my choice would have been #1. Why, because it pure innocence [ health ] and not trying to be anything else.
The tree loves the sun and the wind/air to grow well.
Which is how I grew to love trees.
They also give refreshing shade/shelter.

My question has always been, when one tries for more than just a Design, the tree will continue to grow and without some sort of record, the great attempt will disappear.
So is it the tree that gives the great Design or the memory recorded ?

For my part, I just continue to use simple designs, and try to keep my trees healthy, and not worry about the ART.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan W. Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:32 am

Khaimraj,

I agree that one can pursue bonsai at any level they desire. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone wanting to grow a seedling in a can. It's absolutely true that there is beauty in simple, "innocent" creations. Smile

But, what I'm personally passionate about, is finding, growing and sharing world class trees; trees that will live for generations, passed on from one enthusiast to the next. The phrase "Multi Generational Trees" has been used in the past; Trees that have history, and have been enjoyed by generations of bonsai lovers is the best thing about Japanese bonsai in my opinion, and that's what I want to be part of in the future of American bonsai. When I'm discussing bonsai, studying bonsai, and enjoying bonsai, I'm seeking to grow in my understanding and skill. True, many trees will outgrow their form and eventually lose what they had, but some will be passed on to new hands that will each leave their mark. Many Japanese bonsai show the loving care and work of many different artists, it's up to the current owner to bring out the most beautiful vision they see in a tree at their given time.

I do enjoy even the smallest seedling in my collection, but my goal is to see it become something more. I enjoy my trees for what they are, but also for what the can become.

I would never tell someone their tree was worthless or not good enough for bonsai; BUT, if they asked I would try to help them make it better.

I hope this helps you understand where my point of view is coming from. Smile

I still have a long way to go on this journey. That's why I'm here: to learn from those with more experience, and share the journey with others.

Thanks for the discussion,
Dan
Dan W.
Dan W.

Back to top Go down

Post  Auballagh Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:37 am

First of all, Thank You Arthur for some very inspirational art work!  Cool 
Posting such examples, makes us examine and question our motives for investing our time and creative efforts in Bonsai.
I, for one, believe that this medium in art is perhaps more flexible than some.  That is, if we want to apply the 90% Horticultural to the 10% artistic sensibility rule, it works out okay to a point.  Or, as one responder pointed out, even 100% - 100%!
That is, until you decide to keep a very easy species of tree for your climate/zone.  
So, what happens when a tree is booming on your bench, and growing beyond it's supposed limitations horticulturally?  What happens when this tree, whatever the species, is proving to be especially easy to keep?
Can it be that when the MEDIUM becomes easier to work with - it can free the artist to apply more artistic expression in design to style it?  Such an easy-keeper, or easy to grow type tree then, might be rated at 80%.  Even 70% or less in the horticultural demands of keeping - instead of 90% right?

In other words, it's not always 'Just Growing The Tree'.  
The art and interpretation of the trees we see and are inspired by, MUST have their say.  With no art, our Bonsai Trees could become just simple (sticks) landscape/nursery trees in a pot.
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:45 am

Dan,

over the years I have observed one great truth ---------- very, very few observe trees in nature, and as such never see the ART that they should be drinking in/searching for.

In fact the vast of majority of trees being shown are actually -------- just ------- copies--------of other folks' trees.

In Art History we would call this ----------- Mannerism.

Since I tend in painting towards Idealism/ Realism, I study trees through drawing, and look for the qualities that define a tree type.

Additionally, the ones who claim - Naturalism - are mostly happy design accidents, as you have to go much further to really achieve any real sense of naturalism.

To grow trees with the objective of - ART - requires as much effort as it does to get an oil painting to that level.
To affect the viewer, to get them to contemplate, to stop and drink in the view, to go away with memories/thoughts.
That would require years of growing by a man with a tree, as an oil painting [ by an Old Master ] would take months to years to work on and finally move onto another effort.
[ apologies years of Fine Debate coming through ]

It will not come without observation and lots of sweat, and years.
[ BUT when it grows out of the effort ???????????, how will you know/prove it ?]

Most folk, even professionals, will only achieve --- a hobby.
Art is normally a rarity, taking thousands of opinons by professionals who seriously study and write about Fine Art over a long period of time ----- the History part, I always mention.
Which is why I use simple designs, and have Bonsai as a hobby, too much pressure and why to get to the ART part.
MUCH easier to do an oil painting - chuckle
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Empty Have a Heart!

Post  Arthur Joura Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Thank you to Dan, Khaimraj and Auballagh for their thoughtful contributions to this discussion. I find much to think about and some to agree with in all that was said.

Dan, there is no need to worry about percentages unless it makes you happy to do so. There is a horticultural element to bonsai and an artistic element as well, and both are important and both demand dedication and skill on the part of the grower. We all do well to put forth our best efforts and learn what we can, where we can and how we can, in the fields of both horticulture and art. This much I think is true - the health of the plant is paramount. A healthy plant can always be worked towards artistic improvement, but once the health of the plant is compromised artistic concerns must be put away until the plant is healthy again. An excellently designed dead bonsai is worth nothing much beyond regret.

Khaimraj, I too was an art student once, long ago and far away... I remember those all too earnest and mind-numbing conversations from back then about the meaning of Art and what it takes to be a true Artist. These days I think of engaging in such topics as being about as appealing as the prospect of a colonoscopy. But that is not really a fair comparison, as colonoscopies are not interminable and they typically produce a useful conclusion. When it comes to the matter of debating the subject of bonsai as an Art, I would rather go prune on a tree. Still, there is Art... and then there is art, and there is art enough in bonsai to pay the matter some attention. That is what I am attempting to do with these current posts, and I know you understand this.

Auballagh, my friend, following your train of thought gives me motion sickness! But then I picture you saying all these things and your good nature and enthusiasm more than carry the day. I thank you for reading, and perhaps the next time I see you we can hash it all out. I hope all is going well with your collection.

In my last post I wrote about the issue of observing trees in nature, and how the information gathered by doing this can, but does not have to, inform the work of someone creating visual representations of trees. With this post I want to introduce a related topic, and that is the idea of symbolism, or iconography. That is, a thing that stands to represent something else, typically an idea.

For example, soon it will be Valentines Day and we can expect to see these things all over the place:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Valent11

If I asked you to tell me what this is, you would likely respond that it is a heart, because that is what we call it. Well then, what is this?:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Human_10

Here again, the logical answer is - a heart. Yet the two are distinctly different things. You might then say, "Ah, the first is the symbol of a heart and the second is a real heart." That too is a logical enough thing to say, but it is also incorrect. Both of them are actually images, created out of pixels on your computer screen, which trigger certain predictable responses in your brain. They are both symbols, or icons.

This heart:

typically signifies the idea of love or affection, while this heart:

signifies the organ that pumps the blood in our body. Interestingly enough, the first image can also sometimes be used to signify the heart in our body, but sending a Valentine's card with the second image on it will not convey the intended idea.

Most of us might be inclined to think that this heart:

is more of a cartoon, while this heart:

is more realistic. How about this one?:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Humhrt10

A real heart, right? No - a photograph of a heart (not really; more pixels on your computer screen, depicting a photograph of a human heart.)

Even though these are all images, representing the same basic thing, in our minds we rate each on some kind of mental scale that corresponds to reality. The cartoonish heart is the least "realistic" and the photograph is the most "realistic". In truth, however, none of them are "real". They are all symbols representing an idea.
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Empty Considering the Painted Tree Images, part 1: The Oldest Examples

Post  Arthur Joura Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:02 pm

Returning to the painted images posted earlier, I would like to share with you some thoughts about them. As much as possible, I will restrict myself to discussing how the subject of "tree" is handled in each, without going too much into other considerations such as world and art history. Please remember, these are my observations and opinions and they are not presented as anything other.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1a_fac10
Unknown, mid 14th century BCE, Egyptian (Facsimile painting from early 20th century) (www.metmuseum.org)

This is the oldest of the images presented (although, as noted, it is an historically accurate facsimile and not the 3000+ year-old original), and it is a detail from a much larger work that covered the wall of a great room. These tree images are clearly symbols, not meant to be seen as realistic. They show several different varieties of tree, but they are highly stylized representations that do not rely so much on observation of trees in nature. Much the same can be said of the way in which the humans are depicted. The work depicts a funeral ritual in a garden, so the trees can be thought of as scenery that provides context - props, in effect.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1b_rom10
Unknown, early 1st century, Roman

This section of a Roman mural is the oldest western artwork in this selection of images. It was part of the home of a wealthy person, and depicts a garden. The trees here are much more realistically depicted than in the Egyptian artwork. The way they are rendered suggests the painter spent some time studying the way trees are structured and wanted to convey that information in his or her work. The mural was meant to be perceived as believable impression of a scene in nature.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1c_ma_10
Ma Lin, 1246, Chinese

This Chinese image is a detail from a scroll, painted with ink and color on silk. In the west we tend to think of Greece, Egypt and Rome when we think of the great empires of antiquity, but the Middle Kingdom (as China was then called) rivals any of them in scope and cultural development. The sophistication of this representation of trees seems far advanced from what was produced at the same time or earlier in the west. That they were strongly informed by observation of trees in nature seems evident to me, yet they are at the same time highly stylized and full of feeling.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1cc_co10
Unknown, early 14th century, German

This work was an illustration in a medieval codex (or book). The trees are stylistic to the point of seemingly being oblivious to the reality of how trees are actually formed, and my guess is that it was not the artist's intention to convey any sense of tree knowledge. These are decorative representations, meant to provide background to the main subjects which are the 2 human figures. Still, they are recognizable as trees, and one might even hazard a guess as to the genus of a few of them based on leaf shape. (I cannot help but point out the way the movement of the tree trunks echo the curves of the human forms.)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1d_wu_10
Wu Zhen, 1328, Chinese

This is another Chinese piece, and once again I am struck by the sophistication of the overall design and execution given the age of its creation. The sense of "tree-ness"  is great, yet again the trees are depicted in a very stylized manner, and the result borders on the fantastic. Those of us who favor the literati form of bonsai will recognize immediately the connection between it and this type of Chinese artwork.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1e_she10
Shen Zhou, 15th century, Chinese

This image prompts the same thought in my mind each time I see it - can you imagine the response you might get if you showed a bonsai group planting constructed the same way the trees in this painting are arranged? It is all wrong! 4 trees, instead of an odd number, different species, crossing trunks... from a standard bonsai point of view, this composition of trees is a mess. Yet, as a composition of trees in a painting it is a beautiful work of art. Is this not strange?

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1ee_ae10
Aert van den Bossche, 1494, Flemish

This image brings us back to the west. (Sigh...) Ignoring the nastiness in the foreground and taking note of the way the tree is presented, we find again a blending of information gleaned from the study of trees in nature with somewhat stiff conventions of style. It is a formal upright, I suppose, shaped to fit the dimensions of the canvas on which it is painted. To be fair, the tree is there only to provide a place to which the hapless victims can be secured, but still the artist is conveying some sense of trees as he knew them.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1f_t_a10
T'ang Yin, 1523, Chinese

This work was produced by one of the greatest painters in Chinese history, who was also a scholar and poet. My eye was attracted to the way the trees in the right foreground are presented. They are apparently deciduous trees and have the soft and graceful feeling generally associated with deciduous trees, yet the branching is very angular, the way we typically think of as belonging more to pines. Is this the result of observation of nature, or the application of accepted design conventions of the day, or both? I am not certain.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1g_kan10
Kano Chokichi, mid-16th century, Japanese (www.metmuseum.org)

This painting, a detail of a large folding screen, is the first Japanese image in this gallery. If you study the way the trees are depicted in this work and then look again at the Chinese work presented just before it, you cannot help but notice a striking similarity. At that point in history, and for centuries, Japanese culture was largely derivative of Chinese culture. Bonsai was just one of the artistic pursuits included in this great transfusion, which also included poetry and painting. When I look at this work, I do not see evidence of first hand observation of nature, so much as assimilation of conventions and forms from China. The result is a depiction of trees that is more symbolic and less realistic.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1h_abu10
Unknown, 1610, Indian

This work from India shows a very colorful and appealing sense of decorative style. I think the tree is rendered in a way that shows substantial familiarity with the way deciduous trees grow in nature, yet it is designed to fit neatly within the parameters of the surface on which it is painted. In all of these earlier works, I think it is instructive to compare the way the tree is rendered with how other objects are depicted. Everything in this painting is flattened, as if a 3-dimensional image had been pressed in a book. The tree comes off better in this treatment, I think, than do the rocks and the animals in the background.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1i_afg11
Unknown, 1619, Afghan

This image shows a strong influence of what I am guessing to be Mongolian culture in the way the people are depicted. The tree is stylized yet natural in its overall appearance. The person who painted it created a tree with individual personality and not an idealized form. The aspect of it that really grabbed my attention, however, is the way it protrudes out of the boundaries of the space allotted to the overall picture, and on up into the upper portion of the page, where it is framed by the suggestion of clouds in the sky. This seems to me to be an unconventional approach, and if it was, I wonder how it was received?
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:45 pm

Arthur,

very simply, as an art student you would know that these images are composed to fit the images they are in?
That they work because of their interaction with positive and negative spaces within the image.
The Chinese ones are based on observations, but taken from other Chinese painters observations, and even then the parts were considered what was best from nature.

For Bonsai to function like this we would have to either design them to be seen from one angle [ the front ] as many Chinese efforts are done - Calligraphic Style.
A great deal attention would have to paid to interaction with negative/positive space.
However as 3d sculpture we have to work more with traditional sculptural rules.

Any how you look at it, to get the ART part, would not the creator and the observer have to have some training in ART APPRECIATION or you intending to use FOUND ART rules, where anything goes?

I have no problems with either approach, but prefer to design trees as I do Traditional oil paintings.
Good Ideas.
Please keep developing.
Thanks
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Empty Considering the Painted Tree Images, part 2: Realism in Western Art

Post  Arthur Joura Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Khaimraj - I am most sincerely grateful for your participation on this thread! You make excellent points, and so I am glad to defer to you on matters pertaining to painting, or sculpture, or the higher concerns of ART. My purpose lies elsewhere. By the way, I was a failure as an art student, and a generally poor student in all regards. I should have mentioned this earlier!

After the fall of the Roman Empire, Europe endured a period of about 800 years or so typified by ignorance, brutality, and rampant disease which we have come to call the Middle Ages. Western art to a great degree reflected these unhappy themes, or took refuge in religious subject matter. Here is a painting from the late Middle Ages that illustrates the point:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Thetri11

There are a couple of trees depicted in that painting, but I do not think most of us would choose to use them as bonsai inspiration:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Thetri10

Moving out of the Middle Ages, Europe enters the Early Modern Period, often referred to as the Renaissance (literally "re-birth"). Some historians argue that this period was not such a great improvement as is often suggested, but without a doubt it was a revolutionary time in the history of art. For our purposes here, the salient point is that painting at this time turns dramatically toward the ideal of realism, and there is a great renewed interest in observing and depicting the world of nature. Across most of Europe, and most of the New World, an ever present element in the world of nature is that entity we refer to as the tree:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1j_gij10
Gijsbrecht Leytens, 1600's, Flemish

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1k_jan10
Jan van Goyen, 1641, Dutch

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1l_jac10
Jacob van Ruisdael, 1646, Dutch (www.metmuseum.org)

In these works from the 17th century we see trees take the center stage. To be sure, the trees depicted are situated in landscape scenes that include a human presence, but in each work the focal point is a tree or group of trees. These trees have been closely observed, too. They are artistic representations made by human hands, and not photographs, but they convey a great sense of realism - they are believable as individual trees with their own distinct character. They are symbolic, not just in the sense that they are representations and not actual living trees, but because they can be read as referring to some idea beyond their identity as trees. In the first image the stark, bare forms of these deciduous trees, particularly the very light colored, almost white one in the middle of the composition, speak of the bleak and bitter nature of winter in the north. The second image uses the striking presence of the massive, old, half-dead, twin-trunk tree as a metaphor for the passage of time and the struggle of life. In the third a tree conjures up the sense of the rich fullness of life in summer.

In my opinion, and for my tastes, many of the most glorious artistic representations of trees can be found in western, mostly European, paintings from the 19th century. It is when looking at these images particularly I think in terms of bonsai and the issue of design:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1o_ach10
Achile Etna Michallon, early 1800's, French

The artist who painted this image died very young, and did not produce many works, but those I have seen are strongly tree-oriented. This is such a beautiful representation of a deciduous tree in the glory of its prime, and yet there is the disturbing element of the recent (very recent?) loss of a great limb, and the raw wound it left behind. The contrast of the pastoral lushness of the overall character of the tree and the savagery of the damage sustained creates tension and an air of mystery - what happened? If you presented a tree like this in a bonsai show, I think most viewers would say it should be taken off display and the wound cut clean and treated with cut paste!

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1q_cam10
Camille Corot, 1825, French

Corot is considered among the greatest of naturalistic landscape painters, and trees are prominently featured in many of his works. This image captures perfectly for me the way so many of the trees that grow where I live are formed. The "rule of thirds" does not seem to be applied to the structure of this tree, with its trunk extending about half way up the entirety of its length before the first branch appears. The lower branches reach out horizontally, while the higher branches arch upwards, and the apex is formed by many limbs and not one central leader. The crown is symmetrical and rounded. Is it a lollipop tree? Not quite! Where are the bonsai that reflect this common form of tree?

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1r_joh10
Johan Christian Dahl, 1825, Norwegian

What a wonderful group planting! I particularly like the way the character of the rocks and the character of the stones echo and play off each other to create a moody, desolate atmosphere. Curiously, the bonsai model that most westerners follow says that stones should not be used this way in a bonsai group planting.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1s_cas10
Caspar David Friedrich, 1827, German

This tree projects such a powerful, craggy image. It fits perfectly with my stereotypical idea of Strum und Drang. Once again, though, if we consider what kind of commentary one might receive if one displayed a bonsai with such a design, it is difficult to imagine it being positive. Just for fun, count all the ways this tree goes against the standard rules of bonsai design! Yet as a painting this kind of tree image can be embraced for its power and character - what accounts for the discrepancy?

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1t_jul10
Julius von Leypold, 1835, German (www.metmuseum.org)

Considering the tree that dominates this landscape, I can hear the bonsai artist at the critique instructing such a tree's owner to "remove at least half of this trunk on the left... maybe all of it, because it crosses the main trunk and looks out of balance, then wire all the branches down."

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Thomas10
Thomas Cole, 1846, American

This is the first American painting presented in this little gallery, and it is naturalistic but highly idealized in its own way. What I appreciate most about it is its depiction of trees that are remnants of the North American forest primeval, which strongly appeals to my more romantic tendencies. One of my goals in bonsai is to create just such an image.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1v_gus10
Gustave Courbet, 1864, French

This is a masterful representation of a massive, fully healthy, open-grown deciduous tree. How many bonsai have you ever seen done in this form? What would you call this form?

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1w_jea10
Jean-Francois Millet, 1872, French (www.metmuseum.org)

The tree at the center of this evocative image, would, I think, be termed a "broom" in bonsai parlance. Note how it is put together, though - no central leader. I would without hesitation bet this tree was modeled on a living tree in nature, and was not constructed primarily from the artist's imagination.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1y_geo10
George Inness, 1876, American (www.metmuseum.org)

The artist who created this image is sometimes referred to as "The Father of American Landscape Painting". Realism is strongly at work here, and although there is a romantic tendency in it as well, there is no doubt these trees represent actual trees in nature. I would even hazard a guess that they are Italian Stone Pines (Pinus pinea). This is another tree form that is not represented in traditional bonsai styling, presumably because there are few trees that grow this way in Japan.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2b_alb10
Albert Bierstadt, late 1800's, German-American

The warm glow of this painting is hard to resist (eat your heart out, Thomas Kincaid!) However, what I enjoy most about it is the leaning deciduous tree just to the right of center in the image. The shape of that tree would make a wonderful bonsai image, planted in a round pot and thought of as almost a literati form. Again, the owner of such a tree would have to protect it from the advice of most bonsai experts.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2n_ern10
Ernst Platz, 1931, German

This image is a bit of an outlier, being from the 20th century and done in a style belonging more to another age. I included it, though, because it is a straightforward depiction of trees in nature, growing in a high elevation place and shaped by their environment. Platz was apparently a mountaineer and illustrator, in addition to being a painter, and I suspect this painting is of a specific locale and the trees he found there looked very much as he presented them in this work. So, his objective was to represent trees as he knew them from experience, and not how he imagined them based on some overarching design theory.
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:06 am

Just amazing Arthur...how do you find the time? You desire for knowledge and understanding is very admirable! Your ability to express yourself is just a delight.

But...you make my brain hurt!! Very Happy 

Now, I am certainly not qualified to make a peep in this discussion, but I am going to toss out what was going through my mind as I read your most recent post.

You made several comparisons of the trees in the paintings with bonsai...and bonsai in shows. For me at least, the trees in the painting have a context, the rest of the painting, you make mention of this in almost all of your commentaries. Where as bonsai, let's say in a show, lack the same context. Which, I think, partially explains some of the differences in the trees in the paintings and how we often design our bonsai. For me the trees in paintings, although certainly realistic/natural, are only a part of the whole...even when they are the focal point...and perhaps often it is their imperfection/naturalness that adds to the context. With Bonsai, I think we have the tendency to compensate for this lack of context by creating more idealized trees...more perfect in structure and aesthetic appeal. I know it is a loaded word, but I might even goes as far as saying "beautiful" trees. I also certainly believe that this tendency is influenced by our perception of Japanese bonsai.

I wonder how appealing the trees in the pictures would be on their own...without context??? (I tried a virtual but didn't have the patience to do it well) I suspect that is probably exactly the point you were trying to make. Even though, like you, I love trees, and they all have something to say, there are only a tiny percentage that really influence my bonsai design....for good or bad I am not sure??

Thanks for making me think!!!
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks Arthur.
Yes, John, those trees are beautifully woven into the compositions of the paintings. They would probably look odd as individuals.

Arthur, an interesting point made by Mr. Yoshimura, he says that Yammadori, were not altered, but left to grow as they were found, called-- Potted Trees.

The Bonsai part didn't start until the late 16th century.[ as Japan goes ]
source - The Japanese Art of Miniature Trees and Landscapes - Yoshimura and Halford.

As he states it - on the Aristocrats could afford potted trees, but the Merchant class created a demand.
[ Who wanted the Dutch little Masters and at what time in history ?]

My point, as Bonsai becomes more commercial, what happens to the standard ?

To Joe average, this is a hobby, but at the lowest level. To the professionals out of China / Japan, this would be Art, and this probably why you are presently receiving only token responses. You may have gone too deep [ head hurts  Laughing ]

What is the difference between Art and Craft ------- cost, and so even if you practice Bonsai as a low level hobby, you might be able to get back your money if you say ART.
[ taught to me by the Potters on Clayart.]

You will probably find that the Professionals of Bonsai in Europe, have little or no knowledge of Oil painting History, as this is the way Bonsai is going - very sad.
Wishing you well.
Khaimraj

* I got into Bonsai, because I grew up in a Forest Reserve, and the great giants were my friends and playmates, so I have a natural love for trees. I also started by myself and am adaptable.
So I continue on a path of my own choice, not what goes on in Bonsai world. Very peaceful.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:02 pm

I just happened to open this forum and was awed by Arthur's command of art history and trees. I learned much here and am humbled by everyone's input. I have much to learn, but do know this much: trees stir my soul! Thank you all. I need to travel to Asheville soon!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Empty Considering the Painted Tree Images, part 3: Western Painters, Beyond Realism

Post  Arthur Joura Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Thank you John, Khaimraj and Todd, for reading and joining in the discussion!

Todd - If you ever find your way to Asheville and the Arboretum, I know you will enjoy them both.

Khaimraj - That was an astute observation on your part, drawing the parallel between bonsai and painting and the role that commerce has played in the development of each! I have always felt blessed to be able to do bonsai professionally while being free of the need to sell any of them, and I am certain that has a great deal to do with the way I look at and think about the art of shaping miniaturized trees growing in decorative containers.

So, you have noticed that this current phase of my thread is receiving "only token responses"? You may be correct that the subject is "too deep" for many, but I am not worried about it, because there may be other reasons, as well. With this entire enterprise (that is, maintaining this thread on the IBC) my starting assumption has been that the audience for what I have to say is quite small. The portion of the overall population that knows or cares anything about bonsai is minimal, and this forum is read by only a tiny fraction of those people. Out of that minuscule slice of a minuscule slice, the portion of people who are interested in even considering the possibility that there may be more to bonsai than what the conventional view tells us there is, is a pitiful minority. When you take that number, whatever it is, and subtract from it the people who are disinclined to comment in the first place, or who cannot comment because they read on this forum but do not belong to it, the number left may not be enough to fill the seats in an average size minivan.

I might be discouraged by this, but for a couple of considerations: 1) I personally benefit from writing all this stuff, because it forces me to concentrate and distill my ideas for the sake of effective communication; and, 2) when you put a message in a bottle and toss it into the ocean, there is no telling where it will wind up and who's eyes might eventually see it.

The Internet, for all our thinking of it now as commonplace and taking it for granted, is a mind-boggling tool of communication. I sit here at my computer terminal in a little town in the southern USA, pecking away at a keyboard, sharing ideas about this activity we call bonsai, and when I send this message out on the forum it becomes accessible to the rest of the computerized world. Who knows where my written thoughts will go, or who will see them, or what thoughts mine might trigger in others? I could generate a great deal more attention by pandering to what the larger market wants (a single photograph of an attractive, young, Asian woman, wearing a see-through kimono and holding a stereotypical, commercial grade bonsai, would attract many more views in a week than my thread here has garnered in nearly a year), but I am in it for other reasons.

As for the state of bonsai art in Europe and what bonsai professionals there know or do not know, I am not informed enough to say. To paraphrase Will Rogers, all I know about European bonsai is what I read on the Internet!

John - Thank you for checking in and sharing your thoughts. You say you are "not qualified" to join in the discussion, but I know this is far from true and the questions you raise prove the point.

Let me begin to respond by making this statement - every one of the focal point trees featured in the last round of paintings I posted (western/realistic) could be used as a perfectly acceptable model for a bonsai. I say again - every one of them. To be certain, many, if not all of them, would look strange and probably be unacceptable to the great majority of bonsai enthusiasts at this point in time, but there are reasons for this that have nothing to do with the legitimacy of their forms.

You noted the effect of context, that in the paintings there is a whole world depicted within the frame of the image, and this peripheral information certainly influences how the viewer perceives the subject (in this case, the tree.) Therein lies one of the most significant differences between eastern and western art, particularly that of the period before there was much communication between east and west - eastern art tends toward the suggestive, while western art tends toward the definitive. In short, the aesthetic ideal in the east seemed to focus on how much could be left out while still maintaining the integrity of the image. Western artists, on the other hand, seemed inclined to fill up the available picture space with as much information as possible.

The element of suggestiveness, of intentionally leaving out, is central to the concept of bonsai as an art form. In my view, it is the most "Asian" aspect of bonsai, and I embrace it entirely.

That said, I can still look at any of the trees depicted and see them as bonsai, planted in containers or on slabs, removed from the context of their paintings. Not only can I visualize them that way, I think they would make excellent bonsai and I would prefer them to a great many of the bonsai that utilize the design concepts currently in vogue. But I say this speaking as a person who has consciously changed his way of thinking about what is acceptable in bonsai. And I hasten to add, imitating the design of the trees in these paintings is not at all what I am proposing!

The overwhelming majority of people in bonsai think about bonsai the way they do, see bonsai the way they do, and practice bonsai the way they do because they accept with little or no questioning all of the standard bonsai ideas they have been taught. That they do so is a matter of personal choice and it is perfectly acceptable to be that way. That does not mean, however, that bonsai is only what these people think it is, and it does not mean that questioning conventional wisdom and thinking differently about bonsai is wrong. It does mean that when confronted with an idea outside of that with which they are familiar, people will naturally perceive it as strange. How they react to that strangeness can cover a wide range of possibilities, including: outrage, fear, dislike, confusion, indifference, curiosity, cautious acceptance and possibly even attraction.

This is not a phenomenon exclusive to the world of bonsai. This is the predictable human response to just about anything that is different from that which we are conditioned to expect. It happened in a big way in the world of painting, in the second half of the 19th century...

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2f_cam10
Camille Pissarro, 1894, Dutch-French

To look at this image in our day and age it is almost impossible to imagine how works of this sort were initially received. Pissarro was an Impressionist and this particular painting was made late in the 19th century, late in his career. Other Impressionist painters include Monet, Renoir and Degas, artists whose works now hang in the great museums of the world, and adorn calendars, T-shirts and coffee mugs. However, when Impressionist painting first appeared, around 1870 or so, it was met with mostly scorn from the critics of the day and rejected with derision by the general public. In their day, many of the Impressionists struggled to earn their living. Today, the same paintings they often could not sell fetch millions at auction. What accounts for the difference between then and now? Time, and the inevitability of changing ideas.

As a side note, we see that the tree Pissarro chose to depict is not a mighty, aged giant, but a simple, young fruit tree in a garden. Beauty can be found in trees of all ages, sizes and descriptions.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1z_alf10
Alfred Sisley, 1879, British (www.metmuseum.org)

The Impressionists were focused on capturing the ephemeral effects of light, and their work was typically done outdoors, in plein air. In this painting, Sisley was apparently not interested in ordering the tree to satisfy an ideal of humanized nature, but rather to capture authentically the scene before him at the moment.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 1x_han10
Hans Gude, 1874, Norwegian

I had never seen this painting before finding it on Wikimedia Commons, and I was unfamiliar with the painter, Hans Gude. To my eye, however, it is an impressionist work and this is noticeable in the way the painting of the trees was handled. The trees are completely believable representations, and clearly show that the artist spent time looking at trees and allowing what he observed to inform his work.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2l_arn10
Arnold Lyongrun, 1912, German

It might be a little bit of a stretch to call this painting impressionistic, but it has some tendencies in that direction. As for how it might relate to bonsai, consider this - when we do a group planting using 3 trees, one of the conventions we are taught is to use trees of different size, with one being clearly dominant. I have followed this convention rather strictly myself. But here we see a group of 3 trees wherein each tree is approximately the same size as the others, and it works well in terms of compositional interest. Where is the focal point? To my eye, it is the 2 trees growing closely together. Could this work as a bonsai composition?

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2e_pau10
Paul Signac, 1893, French

This work is certainly impressionistic, but it was done as a preparatory sketch for a more "finished" painting (one of the criticisms leveled at the Impressionists was that their work was sketchy, and unfinished.) Of some interest to me is the fact that the tree depicted is a pine, and exhibits a form most bonsai people would identify as belonging to a broadleaf tree. But the painter was recording what he observed in a tree in nature, not repeating a conventional symbol he had been taught. By the way, here is what the painter eventually produced from his preparatory sketch:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Paul_s10

This much more formal, stylized work was done in a style that was known as Pointillism, which grew out of Impressionism. Another outgrowth of Impressionism was a style that came to be called Post-Impressionism, and it includes 3 of my favorite artists - Cezanne, Gauguin and van Gogh.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2a_pau10
Paul Cezanne, 1886, French (www.metmuseum.org)

I have to restrain myself here, lest I forget the purpose of this post and spend the next 10 paragraphs gushing about the brilliance of Paul Cezanne! Trees were a favorite subject of his, and I know for a fact that he painted from life - that is to say, he went out in nature with his canvas, paints and brushes and responded to what was in front of him. But photographs taken in various sites that Cezanne had used as landscape subjects reveal that he never adhered strictly to reality, but altered it as suited his purpose. There is nothing so unusual in this. Indeed, one of the reasons painting changed so dramatically at this point in history is because of the advent of photography. The camera could do a better job of capturing objective reality (not really, but people think that way), which left the door open for painters to start expressing a more subjective view of the world. So when Cezanne painted trees he was not focused so much on realism as he was on capturing sensations - what he experienced when looking at trees. He was interpreting them through his personal experience.

For anyone who cares, this is exactly what I want to do in the bonsai medium!

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2d_pau10
Paul Gauguin, 1892, French

So, Gauguin wanted to do a pastoral scene... Was it nighttime? Why are the trees blue? Why is there a rainbow running horizontally across the lower third of the image? Was this guy high when he painted this picture? The answer to the last question is "probably not", but the answer to the other questions is this: "Because he was Paul Gauguin, a brazen and powerful creative force, and he felt like doing it that way!" The trees still look like trees, however, despite being blue.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2c_vin10
Vincent van Gogh, 1888, Dutch (www.metmuseum.org)

van Gogh was one of the most prolific painters of any age, yet he was able to sell exactly 2 of his works in his lifetime. Like Cezanne, he most often painted live, from nature, and recorded his personal experience of the subject matter. Like Gauguin, he was an almost elemental force of creative vision. Trees can be found in many of his paintings, and each one exhibits its own individual personality.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2k_hen10
Henry Ward Ranger, 1910, American

I am not certain how this particular painting should be characterized, in terms of what artistic style it falls under. It does not really matter, for our purposes. It is a fine representation of a tree, apparently based on observation of a living tree in nature.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2j_lee10
Leendert Gestel, 1910, French

I think of this work as being an exercise in tonal modulation, but I might be making that up. It represents a tree, however, and one that would make an eye-catching literati. It reminds me of the growth habit of Sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum) in the forests where I live.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2g_and10
Andre Derain, 1906, French (www.metmuseum.org)

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2h_hen10
Henri Matisse, 1907, French (www.metmuseum.org)

With these 2 paintings we see trees depicted in ways that have departed from any concern with realism, yet in each case we can still easily identify the fact that trees are part of the image. The work is consciously primitive, expressionistic yet decorative, too. At the root of the tree depictions is still a sense of tree-ness, based on observation of the natural example.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 2m_geo10
Georgia O'Keeffe, 1925, American (www.metmuseum.org)

This work is our lone example from the abstract style of painting, but the subject matter is still discernible without resorting to reading the title. There may or may not have been an actual living model for this tree image, but regardless, it is clearly informed by knowledge of trees and has a naturalistic feeling despite being viewed through the lens of abstraction.

Last edited by Arthur Joura on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:09 pm

These pages have been fun. Thanks.

MY favorite tree pictures seem mostly to come from the Mustard Seed Garden Manual of Painting. Two are shown here.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Z058-210

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 8 Z058-310

I'm fortunate en0ugh to have a print from the Mustard seed Garden Manual, although the print is of a bird, not a tree. It's put away in the fade-free dark so I don't have it to copy now, but I cherish it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaybird Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:30 pm

Arthur - First and foremost for creating this wonderfully informative blog a big "thank you".  I believe it is more appreciated than you think.  Up until I read your last thread I would never have thought to comment.  The simple reason for this is I've only been studying bonsai for the last four years and don't believe I have anything of value to add.  But I do love to read your blog and I assume there are a lot of others that feel as I do.  Your knowledge and displays are awe inspiring.  I appreciated your thoughts and the paintings that were referenced.  I have a degree in Art History and your thought your words were right on. Artists' renditions of trees are a terrific source of inspiration for styling bonsai.  Whether you want to adhere to traditional bonsai rules or prefer to be more Avant-garde in your styling approach remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  So far I haven't seen any pictures of the NC Arboretum that I don't find beauty in. Can't wait to visit and see the real thing@
Jaybird
Jaybird

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:26 pm

Arthur,

just to help out with Lyongrun's work, there is in painting something called - General Focus - which means there is no point that the eye might be drawn to.
Also have you looked at the American [ Boston or California ] Impressionists?
Supposedly different worlds.

Much of what you are saying, are points made a while ago. Study 10 trees, in the mature state, or middle or young and extract what you think is most important. Do by drawing or image on the computers screen and traced with a 6b or other lower b pencil.

The trick is to be able to project that information on a tree. You would have to have grown x amount and have a working experience with the type to be able to put what you want into the effort.
BUT to do that you would probably be well off and could do as you wish or try to get to a stage where others would want to purchase the effort. [ Hmm sounds like an ism / oil painting - Da Vinci - Botticelli - Titian - Caravaggio - Rubens - Rembrant to Vermeer - Murillo/Velasquez, all rebels /agents of change ? Pre-Raphaelites ?]

A lot of time and preparation to put into an effort that would hold the effect for say a few weeks and then grow on.
which brings me back to my repeated point - use a hologram of the tree and not the tree to show the effort. A photo won't do it.

As a hermit who pretty much grows what he believes in, as I also paint, I am all with you.
BUT in the words of a well known Bonsai-ist, most folk are amateur gardeners and non of this matters.
The professionals not attached to a Museum [ as a job ] have to study sales/teaching or some form of $$ to live, and hence the repeated often mannerised tree forms - it sells.

I tend to take my example of operating from Wu Yee Sun.
Excellent points thus far, but I hope you don't end up frustrating yourself.
Thank you.
Later.
Khaimraj

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:28 pm

Arthur I also have been following along and enjoying all the posts and photos. I don't have an art background like most who have commented lately so I have only been following along. Be assured that people are viewing with excitement even if they aren't commenting. I hope you continue this foray in refrencing paintings for a perspective on bonsai as it is something that is not talked about in most bonsai forum posts.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next