Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Propagation of cuttings by hydroponic methods

4 posters

Go down

Propagation of cuttings by hydroponic methods Empty Propagation of cuttings by hydroponic methods

Post  capo_regime Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi all!

Is it possible to propagate cuttings with hydroponic technics?

thanx...

capo_regime

Back to top Go down

Propagation of cuttings by hydroponic methods Empty Re: Propagation of cuttings by hydroponic methods

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not the one to answer your question about cutting propagation. I have been looking into hydroponics and, the following link is the best Do-It-Yourself hydroponics website I have found. The concerns related to trees would be to balance the amount of water with an opportunity to provide oxygen and fertilizer (funny, just like bonsai) without leaving the roots too long in water or allow the roots to dry out. Several of Jason's pages deal specifically with these questions.

http://www.jasons-indoor-guide-to-organic-and-hydroponics-gardening.com/jasons-indoor-guide.html

He might even be able to answer some of your questions.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Propagation of cuttings by hydroponic methods Empty Propagation of Cuttings by Hydroponic Methods

Post  bonsaisr Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 pm

The biggest drawback I can see is that once the cutting grows a set of roots in water, when you eventually go to plant it in a pot, it will have to grow a new set of roots for dry land, resulting in a setback.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Propagation of cuttings by hydroponic methods Empty Re: Propagation of cuttings by hydroponic methods

Post  capo_regime Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:14 pm

But is this technic usefull to increase the tax of success specially in species hard to propagate by cuttings such as conifers?

capo_regime

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:26 pm

From a purely gut reaction, as someone who propagates hundreds of trees using traditional and hydroponic means, I don't believe that you will be able to achieve more success with conifers using hydroponic methods. Water loving trees like Wisteria, Willow, and Alder are easily propagated using hydroponic methods. Conifers are resinous and detest waterlogging.

Try it by all means, you may prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

I think that you would be better off trying to learn appropriate grafting techniques.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:54 pm

A method of suspending the plants into a tub with the roots in the air and periodic misting would work better for trees that experience problems with wet feet. There are, however, a myriad of problems connected with properly preparing the solution for spraying through the misters. The time between mistings and length of time the misters operate and the potential for clogging mist heads would also have to be played with until just the right combination of misting and air time is reached.

I would expect simply making a mist chamber over cuttings set in course sand would work better than hydroponics. JMO

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down